What's the Watchtower's latest view on "The End" or "The Second Coming of Jesus Christ"? Most act like its not coming!

by MagicMItchJensen 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MagicMItchJensen
    MagicMItchJensen

I posted that article from the Miami Newspaper, others posted the United Kingdom's articles on JWs and ISIS. What's the official position of the Watchtower about the Last Days, are we in them or are we going to wait another 2,000 years like the Jews believe?

I remember arguing at work with friends that Nostradamus End Date of 3000 was wrong, are there other past prophets you know of who predicted the World's End past our time?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/581439/Rise-ISIS-earthquakes-warnings-before-ARMAGEDDON-apocalypse-end-destroys-volcanoes-Earth

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/fb80ab467ffd44f5b2a934cb05d0cbeb/FL--Jehovahs-Witnesses

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

We are in the upswing, headed towards another "golden age." We will die long before it arrives.

DD

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    I think that no matter how you cut it, given 1914 as the beginning of the sign, that generation cannot pass away until the end of the sign. Give or take a couple of years: 1914-20=1884+120=2014 I think that 120 years is the absolute maximum length of a generation. I think that in 2016 the generation in terms of years and any human possibly being alive that saw the sign back then, is dead. I am not saying that I am right, but that is what I think if generation is applied to 1914. Jesus comes when the empirical sign (you will know) of the son of man appears in the heavens and every eye will see him. JWS are not going preach for another 100 years and have a bicentennial. In terms of length in years of the 1914 generation, it happens now.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think that deep down, most Jehovah's Witnesses know that the end is not coming, at least anytime soon. They go out door to door, not to warn people of impending judgement, but in a perfuntory way, because they need to write down some hours on a time slip, to keep from being criticised by the elders, and as insurance, just in case Armageddon does come.

The Watchtower is the boy who cried wolf one too many times, they may keep the most devoted believing the end is coming soon, but everyone else has figured it out, even though they cannot admit it to others, or even to themselves.

If they really believed what they claim they wouldn't waste hours of field service knocking on the doors of empty houses and driving all over town to make one return visit. There is no urgency to their work, no effectiveness, no real results. 1914 is a meaningless date, based on questionable logic and an incorrect date for the fall of Jerusalem. Armageddon didn't happen then, as the bible students thought it it would at the time, or 1975 as they said, and it won't happen next year or any other year.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I think that deep down, most Jehovah's Witnesses know that the end is not coming, at least anytime soon

They do! They believe that this it.

• fiddler
    fiddler

Fisherman, the 'end' that my grandmother anticipated during the WW II days came and went. She died in 1980. The end that my father anticipated at least by 1980 came and went. He died in 2012. If JWs are still around for a bicentennial all past expectations will be long forgotten....just as you have forgotten past expectations.

• MagicMItchJensen
    MagicMItchJensen

Is this blind faith they are asking the Witness to adhere to? Not sure if you remember Carl Sagan's comment in his book "Contact" asking why God could not put a "Glowing Cross" in the Nighttime Sky so people could look up and see he's there. No matter how much evidence philosophers say God produced there's always the chance people would disbelieve because that's what they do. Whether that is true, who knows! Why are witnesses suppose to accept the latest teachings from men with a proven record of being wrong, is that not evidence enough Jehovah is not happy with their performance and maybe they don't have love for everyone like they claim.

My mother said the End would come by 1986, she's going to die and still has faith the Organization is telling the truth. She's seen the worst kind of wickedness inside her Jehovah Witness children and still think's their decent human beings, does this mean she's mentally diseased for believing wicked people are good? Also does this mean she's guilty of not using her God given brain to evaluate the truth and will be punished because she's never done anything good for this World other than help the publishing company push their literature. So many witnesses deny the Apostolic Gospel in favor of this new End-Times Message of Doom, how come nobody can see the truth inside the Organization's inability to provide any evidence God is using them to set the Date?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

fid, those unfulfilled expectation does not void the Bible definition of generation or the fulfillment of the prophecy.

In spite of past disappointments, JWS today have not given up hope in expectation of the great tribulation. In the past the end did not have to come because the limit of generation definition was not reached, but now the Bible definition of generation has reached its max and that is why JWS expect it now. Regarding those that died without seeing it, they died convinced, the same way that Paul and Peter died knowing that it was all true even though they were executed before 70 and they did not see 70 CE. They did not understand but they knew they fought the fine fight and that they would receive their reward. They died convinced. God gives people today clear convincing evidence. The thing now is that generation cannot be stretched any more so JWS are expecting now.

• MagicMItchJensen
    MagicMItchJensen
    fish, what about the "generation" starting with Russia's Sputnik? The Governing Body had a letter showing they might use that to give more time for the "generation that will not pass away.". Are you familiar with that letter or New Light they might release when they realized the "generation of 1914" was quickly dying off? I am trying to learn as much as I can, truth is a journey throughout life, not some pit-stop along the way. If you used Sputnik's launch as the beginning of their "generation", what time would that allow you to stop at?
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

The Governing Body had a letter showing they might use that to give more time for the "generation that will not pass away."

MMJ Regardless of what the GB says or what anyone says, a generation does not last for hundreds of years and 100 years of invisible rule and of announcing that king and kingdom is more than a very long time. I think that JWS are expecting the GT now not because of anything printed or because of anything that the GB is saying but because if generation is to make any sense in connection with 1914-this is it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit