News Flash! JW's Aren't Christians At All!

by LizardSnot 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

What qualifies Jehovah's Witnesses to call themselves Christians?

Unlike other "Bible-based" religions who believe in the divine nature of Jesus;
    the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society claims that Jesus Christ is the Savior
    formerly known as Michael the archangel.

So...what is the purpose of calling themselves Christians?

Why not Jehovahians?

Jehovah is the main center of their worship isnt he?

If JW's dont want to be associated with Christendom...why call themselves Christians?

When I was a JW child being raised in the "truth"; I thought that Jesus Christ was
    just another one of the bible greats...like Abraham, David, Samson & Moses.

Sure...they will say that Christ died as a ransom sacrifice for us; but didnt Samson die
    while glorifying Jehovah too?

Why not call themselves Samsonites while they are at it. Maybe they would get a discount
    on their attache cases that they carry door to door.

Lizard

• moman
    moman

They can say anything they want, the drones can't hear.

• Mary
    Mary

"....What qualifies Jehovah's Witnesses to call themselves Christians?...."

Absolutely nothing, except their own belief that they and they alone are following Christ's example of preaching about The Kingdom of God.......even though their "message" is totally opposite of what Jesus taught.

"..... If JW's dont want to be associated with Christendom...why call themselves Christians?...."

Because they don't consider anyone else on planet earth Christians, no matter how good a person they were. If they haven't been a baptized JW, then they aren't Christian, end of story. Mother Theresa? Forget it, she's no different than Adolf Hitler in the JW mind.......a pedophile to still goes to the Meetings is more of a Christian than what Mother Theresa was........

Shows how warped the Witness idea of "Christian" is........

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Lizardsnot (cool name, BTW):

Sure...they will say that Christ died as a ransom sacrifice for us; but didnt Samson die while glorifying Jehovah too? Why not call themselves Samsonites while they are at it. Maybe they would get a discount on their attache cases that they carry door to door.

LMAO...that was a good joke and a good point (about Samson dying while glorifying God...)

As to what Mary just said:

..What qualifies Jehovah's Witnesses to call themselves Christians?....

Absolutely nothing, except their own belief that they and they alone are following Christ's example of preaching about The Kingdom of God.......even though their "message" is totally opposite of what Jesus taught

You know, that has been the primary argument by my husband (who is not a JW but has been studying for years and has all but been baptized into this religion) against Christendom (...that and christendom's "tolerance of sin"...I suppose christendom needs to learn a little self-righteousness from the dubs so that they too can be placed on this high pedestal that the JWs have placed themselves upon)...oooppps, sorry to stray from my initial thought there .

How do you get it through to these folks that obviously, judging by the amount of members and growth, (that at the very least) just as much evangelizing is going on within Christendom? Also, apparently, the term "body of Christ" means to JWs (I guess this means that most witnesses have no understanding of anatomy and physiology) the neck and the foot have the same function (evangelizing).

Just my thoughts and ramblings.....

Bona

Edited by - Bona Dea on 12 July 2002 14:48:18

• Xander
    Xander

Funky:

Actually, that IS kinda what we were called in school - we were always the 'jehovahs'.

We used to make a joke about when someone would ask "Are you jehovahs" that we should respond: "Depends, is that plural or singular possessive?" (HAHA, everyone in the cargroup has a good laugh)

Uhhh...that was a defense mechanism, wasn't it?

husband (who is not a JW but has been studying for years and has all but been baptized into this religion)

Totally OT, but I always wondered...

On principle, I'm against using sex as a weapon (duh), but I had the impression it should be fairly easy for a non-JW woman to convince her man not to study with the JWs:

*** Watchtower 1976 February 15 pp.122-3 You Must Be Holy Because Jehovah Is Holy *** Later, another issue needed attention. Unnatural practices in connection with sex in marriage, such as oral and anal copulation, have caused some of God's people to become impure in his eyes. But The Watchtower kept above this morass of filth by alerting married couples to God's thinking on the matter.

I mean, "Sorry, honey, if you join them looks like no more BJs for you...." would be enough to convince any man *I* know not to join a cult...

(Personally, I liked the March 15, 83 Watchtower better:

"A person who brazenly advocates shocking and repulsive sexual activities would be guilty of loose conduct"

Here that? Shocking AND repulsive!!! *shudder* )

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Hi Xander,

I'm against using sex as a weapon (duh), but I had the impression it should be fairly easy for a non-JW woman to convince her man not to study with the JWs:

Well, I'm guilty of withholding....show me a woman alive who isn't. Hasn't worked so far, though. Makes me wonder about myself....doesn't do much for one's self-esteem when you realize, he can live without "it" (at least, "it" from me) . Can't really get onto him for studying, as I as right there beside him up until about 6 mos ago.

Thanks for the WT article. I knew anal was a no-no, but didn't know about oral. That may come as a surprise to him but it won't matter... He'll just brush it off and live with it just like everything else that I bring to his attention.

Bona

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

Followers of Christ for the last I dont know how many centuries have called themselves Christians because of their worship of Christ as God.

Jehovah's witnesses, unlike most of the Christians throughout history, believe that Jesus is "just" Jehovah's son and that is it. *well...there's the Michael thing....retarded

Why do Jehovah's witnesses call themselves Christians if they dont worship the same way?

Lizard

• Xander
    Xander

Ah, Bona, so I'm assuming you have not been to 'quotes' site, then?

LOTS and LOTS of good stuff. Scary thing is that it is all taken directly out of the WTBTS publications - you can look everything up yourself in the mags or on the CDs.

Anyway, here is:

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/oral.htm

(For the section on oral sex - where I got the above from.)

Go to:

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/

For the complete listing of topics.

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

" I knew anal was a no-no, but didn't know about oral."

Bona, evidently, at least this is what a previous co-worker who was Catholic told me, the Catholics frown upon oral sex also....imagine my surprize at learning this, as my husband attended Catholic school up until high school and never once mentioned to me that I would burn in hell for doing that. imagine that........

Lizard, do Witnesses consider themselves Christians? I'm not being obnoxious, I always thought they considered themselves as such, but a few months back a Witness left a little flyer with me and I noticed that in really small print at the bottom it said something to the effect of "our organization is not a part of Christianity." I don't remember the exact wording, only that I found it both obnoxious and arrogant. oh my, what a shocker.....I wish I would've hung on to it but my two-year-old pretty much destroyed it.......I suppose it meant that they're Christians but no part of Christianity? who knows, it's hard to keep up with their changes...I personally like your "Samsonites" idea, maybe you should submit it to their suggestion box.......

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

deddaisy, I would love to get ahold of that tract ;)

That would be key to my argument.

Of course they would come up with some explaination wouldnt they?

I really think the WBTS just uses the term Christian as a buzzword.

Lizard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit