Quantum / See ExMormon Board

by Amazing 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Makurosu
    Makurosu

As a former, lifelong Mormon of 33 years, I nearly spit out my soda when I read Quantum's outrageous claim that the Mormon doctrine and history stands up to any kind of close scrutiny. It shouldn't come as any surprise that a multi-billion dollar corporation like the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which brings in something like $6 billion a year in profit revenues, is able to maintain a well-funded apologist organization like FARMS (the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies).

I left the LDS (Mormon) Church for no reason other than the fact that the Church and apologist groups like FARMS were completely ill-equipt to answer my questions, despite their impressive and highly advertised credentials. Furthermore, I am not impressed by the blatant ad hominem attacks and faulty logic of people like Daniel C. Peterson and other "scholars" filling the ranks of FARMS and other Mormon apologist groups. If they want to answer questions like why Joseph Smith was sleeping with other men's wives and what happened to all the evidence of the Native American steel production and fabrication industry talked about in the Book of Mormon, then they need to do better then to flash me their resumes and call me names for not shutting up and falling in line.

Trolls like Quantum are old hat for ex-Mormons, just as they undoubtedly are for ex-JW's. For Quantum, there is no doctrinal or historical reason for leaving the fold. So, he has to tell himself that we were "offended" by some person or left as a result of sin or laziness. Sound familiar? Yes, the Mormon god works by the same double binds and cult mentality that Jehovah uses.

Same ol' same ol'.

• cyrano
    cyrano

I think QUANTUM and You Know would make good friends LOL

...maybe... they are.. gasp... TWINS?!

Edited by - cyrano on 11 July 2002 22:39:12

• Amazing
    Amazing

Thanks again to the ex-Mormons who shared some really great information.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Golly, reading that ex-Mormon board is strange! I kept rubbing my eyes to make sure I was on an xJW site.

Expatbrit

• QUANTUM
    QUANTUM

What happened to all of those ex mormons gonna set me straight?

Here is what some of you need to understand...and this time I assure you I'm not talking down to you or insulting you...I probably took that a little to far and because of other responses to me I certainly helped carry it on.....

The teachings of the LDS church are based on Joseph Smith and his declaration of his prophetic calling. Everything that the church is can be defined in that one principle. He is a prophet or not. If not then the church is a fake and we who are members and those that are dead have believed a lie.

We know beyond all doubt that many of the evidences which are used to demonstrate his prophetic calling are absolutely infalible. And they are admitted by even the detractors. Why would they admit to those things. why would they say there doesn't seem to be an answer. Well, they also won't admit then that he must be a prophet....why?

From the beginning Smith turned the corner of the "worlds" he and the early members lived in up side down. He was a beloved prophet to some, a scoudrel to many. He taught things no one had ever heard of before...he scared a lot of people. The church moved into areas and would take over putting the citizenry in alarm. Certainly not all but some of the things which happened to the "saints" they brought on themselves.

Many people wanted to get rid of the mormons and were finally successful by chasing them all the way to Utah.

The bottom line is this...we do not teach that anyone can know or understand the truth of things by his own study or intellect. WE believe if you want to know the truth GOD himself has to tell you.

J. Smith life was and is very controversial outside the confines of the church....so are others like Brigham Young.....but there is also great things that are said about him from people who have studied both sides of the issue and not members of the church.

His teachings, though strange to some are not to those who claimed to have received a testimony by revelation (promised to those who diligently seek it).....The detractors at the time of Christ made many false accusations agaist him as well as every other prophet in the Bible. Irrefutable evidences can and are given to his prophet calling. they are only to help lead to a personal revelation of the truth which they seek. we do not ask anyone to accept our teachings or excommunicate members for questioning some church doctrine. (Like apparently the wts does)

If anyone receives that witness do they need to question again if the revelation was true or if they can't fully understand why someone is making spurious comments about the church....do they still need to keep asking the question is it true?

Those who leave the church have never understood this...they are the ones who chose to leave.... they are always welcomed back.

If someone said Smith did something that doesn't look just right do I loose the truth that I have attained to also question it....PEOPLE IN THE CHURCH WHO LEAVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE OF DOCTINAL ISSUES NEVER BELIVED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE..WHY DID CHRIST SAY NO ONE CAN KNOW THAT I AM THE CHRIST EXCEPT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT...GOD HAS TO REVEAL IT TO YOU!!!

Any way I don't think you'll get anyonr to respond to this from the ex mormons.....these people are not like ex JW's they are not vindictive over the control people had of their lives(with the exception of a very few who may have those feelings)

QUANTUM

P.S. Don't ask Smith if he is a prophet ...ask GOD!!

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

Over my ex-jw lifetime, I've had many Christian friends & co-workers tell me, "Oh! Well, you've never really been a Christian if you were a Jehovah's Witness! Come with me to my church! [Or, Believe in Jesus, etc.]"

The only time I've ever taken a friend up on this sort of challenge was with a Mormon I worked with in Oregon. He gave me the BOM for Christmas one year, along with a note saying that when he read it he knew it was true, and he just knew that if I read it I would see it the same way. Well, many here have posted that they continue to believe certain JW doctrines, such as the "soul" being mortal, etc. Well, I don't believe in the Bible as the Word of God anymore, but if I did, I'd feel the same way about many of those type of issues. And there is that scripture in Galatians (? I think ?) - something to the effect that, even if an angel presented to you some revelation that wasn't in harmony with the already accepted scriptures, you should reject it, because it wasn't from God at all but from the Devil.

Anyway, I started reading the BOM, and I stopped before I'd read 100 pages... It preached immortality of the soul, and a number of other things that seemed (no offense, but) kind of ridiculous to me in light of that particular scripture. I don't remember specifics at this point; just the impression that its *tone* was a lot like the Bible, but the dogma was a lot different. Sorry, Quantum, but if I was to be a Christian, I wouldn't be a Mormon. Not saying that your religion is from the Devil, cuz I don't believe in that either. I think all this dogma stuff is from men!

edited to add: I *did* ask God... s/he said, "I don't 'do' prophets!"

Edited by - spidermonkey on 12 July 2002 1:34:6

• QUANTUM
    QUANTUM

spidermonkey

Thanks for your sincere reply. I understand what you said. some do not see it at all and some, like myself, had the heavens opened to them. I don't know why some never get that certain witness. but we don't stop hoping for them.

QUANTUM THE SAD!

• bat
    bat

"Here is what some of you need to understand...and this time I assure you I'm not talking down to you or insulting you...I probably took that a little to far and because of other responses to me I certainly helped carry it on....."
    bat: And we should believe you because you have been completely dishonest about your intentions so far on this board?
    "The teachings of the LDS church are based on Joseph Smith and his declaration of his prophetic calling. Everything that the church is can be defined in that one principle. He is a prophet or not. If not then the church is a fake and we who are members and those that are dead have believed a lie." 
    bat: Well at least you admit the possiblility that you've been duped
    "We know beyond all doubt that many of the evidences which are used to demonstrate his prophetic calling&;are absolutely infalible. And they are admitted by even the detractors. Why would they admit to those things. why would they say there doesn't seem to be an answer. Well, they also won't admit then that he must be a prophet....why?" 
     bat: Beyond all doubt? What is your proof? Your testimonkey? HA! Which detractors have admitted that JS,a.k.a. the child molester, is infalibly a prophet? JS was never a prophet, he was one of the most convincing frauds that the gullible American midwest has ever seen.
    "From the beginning Smith turned the corner of the "worlds" he and the early members lived in up side down. He was a beloved prophet to some, a scoudrel to many. He taught things no one had ever heard of before...he scared a lot of people. The church moved into areas and would take over putting the citizenry in alarm. Certainly not all but some of the things which happened to the "saints" they brought on themselves. "
     bat: Ya think? Move thousands of fanatical religious zealots into a small community and people get scared? Go figure. 
    "Many people wanted to get rid of the mormons and were finally successful by chasing them all the way to Utah." 
     bat: You are lying. Please provide evidence that anybody chased the mormons to Utah.
    "The bottom line is this...we do not teach that anyone can know or understand the truth of things by his own study or intellect. WE believe if you want to know the truth GOD himself has to tell you. " 
    bat: Yea, you first have to decieve yourself into thinking that it's true, and then you will be able to convince yourself that the god has told you that it's true. 
    "J. Smith life was and is very controversial outside the confines of the church....so are others like Brigham Young.....but there is also great things that are said about him from people who have studied both sides of the issue and not members of the church. " 
    bat: I've studied the history intensely, and I'm now convinced that JS was a complete fraud, and BY was one of the most evil men the west has ever seen. Please refer to the Mountain Meadows Massacre. 
    "His teachings, though strange to some are not to those who claimed to have received a testimony by revelation (promised to those who diligently seek it)....."
    bat: Please refer to "circular logic". 
    "The detractors at the time of Christ made many false accusations agaist him as well as every other prophet in the Bible. Irrefutable evidences can and are given to his prophet calling. they are only to help lead to a personal revelation of the truth which they seek. we do not ask anyone to accept our teachings or excommunicate members for questioning some church doctrine. (Like apparently the wts does) " 
    bat: The morg does indeed excommunicate members for questioning church doctrine. If they ask, they are given an answer. If they do not accept the answer, and continue to question it, they are ex'ed. ; Please refer to your Church Handbook of Instruction for further clarification. 
    "If anyone receives that witness do they need to question again if the revelation was true or if they can't fully understand why someone is making spurious comments about the church....do they still need to keep asking the question is it true?" 
    bat: Your point is invalidated once a person learns that they have been decieving themselves all along. 
    "Those who leave the church have never understood this...they are the ones who chose to leave.... they are always welcomed back. " 
    bat: It is you who do not understand. Once a person learns so much that they are able to consciously realize that the morg is a complete fraud, there is no reason to remain or ever go back. It makes no sense to live a lie.
    "If someone said Smith did something that doesn't look just right do I loose the truth that I have attained to also question it....PEOPLE IN THE CHURCH WHO LEAVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE OF DOCTINAL ISSUES NEVER BELIVED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE..WHY DID CHRIST SAY NO ONE CAN KNOW THAT I AM THE CHRIST EXCEPT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT...GOD HAS TO REVEAL IT TO YOU!!! "
    bat: Who are you to judge the level of belief or commitment of another person? ; Just because you can't get past your cognizant dissonance, doesn't mean that anybody else isn't capable of taking the blinders off. 
    "Any way I don't think you'll get anyonr to respond to this from the ex mormons.....these people are not like ex JW's they are not vindictive over the control people had of their lives(with the exception of a very few who may have those feelings) "
    bat: How exactly do you know what the ex-JW's are like? You are not God, and according to Gordo the Hinkster, you don't get to become a god anymore. Stop harassing these people and go find something else to do. Like reading "And it came to pass...." over and over. 
    "P.S. Don't ask Smith if he is a prophet ...ask GOD!!"
    bat: I asked God, and she said that JS was a fraud.

Edited by - bat on 12 July 2002 2:44:24

• alamb
    alamb

Has anyone looked up religions started in the same time period as Mormonism? There are over 100 listed who all were inspired and base their beliefs on gold tablets, some were even read with the same stones that helped the "seer", some believed in multiple wives, and the list goes on. The only difference is, this one stuck. Some of the others lasted a few years and faded.

I have also seen the hypocrisy in the convenience of "modern revelations" concerning letting blacks into the priesthood ( only after government got involved), the length of garments (only shortened after a vision on a hot summer night in Utah), and plural marriage ( again when the government intervened).

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

Quantum, please don't be sad for me. You can see it as myself "not seeing it at all" and yourself as "having the heavens opened" to you, or you can see us as seeing things differently. I don't dispute that your religion is right for you; I just dispute that it is right for *everyone*. That assertion seems very arrogant and insecure to me! The fact that we see God differently doesn't mean that one of us doesn't see God.

There are over 6 billion people on earth now, and I'll wager that that means over 6 billion different personalities. Do you really think that God would reveal him/her/itself to everyone in exactly the same way?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit