have mercy...been waitin' on the bus all day...

by DanTheMan 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

My car has been in the shoppe for the past 2 days, so I've been making my way around town by riding the city bus. I actually like it quite a bit, and it is good on the conscience knowing that I am not contributing to global warming by using a 3000 pound carbon dioxide spewing vehicle to haul my 140 pound ass around town. I am going to continue riding even after I get my car back.

Anyways, I got on the bus yesterday, and lo and behold, the driver was a Watchtowerist from my last congo. He said hi, and smiled in a friendly way. It was a little awkward. Funny, he is the only driver I've come across who does his job by announcing upcoming intersections and whatnot. It was kinda touching. He was/is a very innocent, non-authority-position-holding, true believing dubber.

This is a dumb post, I hope nobody reads it.

The title of this thread is a ZZ Top reference, in case you didn't know.

Support public transportation!

• Flip
    Flip
    This is a dumb post,

Dan, I'll be the judge of whether I find your posts dumb or not.

I liked the one in question...thanks for sharing!

Flip

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

dantheman....
    lol...i had almost the 'xact same 'sperience. my car was kaput and i took the bus to work that day...it wuz the first time after bein' "out" that i ran into a dub. he wuz the bus driver. it felt weird, i wuz taken by surprise...so wuz he i think.

i said 'mornin and acted like i didn't know 'im. he did much the same.
    i sat near the back like the badass that i am. lol.

the 'good newz' is that i
    take the bus (and train) more often now (just not that bus if i can help it lol)
    and ride my bike too...only drive when i'm really short on time.

SPAZ

• COMF
    COMF

So Dan, has Jesus left Chicago yet?

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

...Jesus done left Chicago,and he's bound for New Orleans...

Nothin' wrong with that post.

Cowboy

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I only drive on the weekends. During the week I depend on public transporation. Buses, subways, I love them. It also gives me a chance to catch up on my reading, pay some bills, etc. Driving is great but I honestly don't know what I would do without public transporation.

• larc
    larc

After I retired two years ago, I started taking the bus and leaving the car at home in case my wife needed it. I really enjoy it - get to relax, read the paper, or just look around. It is a lost less expensive and enjoyable than having two cars. Sorry, no bus driver stories.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

Dan,

Maybe you will decide to start riding the bus more often. It is cheaper right?

I've toyed with the idea of taking the bus...but I would be screwed if something kept me late at work.

I hope you get your car back soon...for the sake of being able to come down and visit us in Cincy again soon :)

God Bless,

Lizard

• Prisca
    Prisca

I'm posting to say that I read it, and I didn't mind reading it either.

Sydney public transport is a joke, so I drive whenever I can. The only time I take public transport is when I'm working in the heart of the city.

• SYN
    SYN

The bus drivers in South Africa need a whack on the head before they stop the bus, and even then only if you're lucky. They announce the intersection names in isiXhosa (with a click sound for the X people), so it's pretty tough to understand what they're saying. That, and they drive the bus like it's a Formula One racer through morning traffic, which is always quite exciting and helps you to wake up, especially when they narrow avoid collisions with standing cars whilst going full-barrel 120KM/H in traffic! Once a bus I was in rode into a car that was stopped in front of it - the car was lengthwise to the bus, so the bus hit the right side of the car, and the force was so great that the guy on the other side of the car literally burst out of his window and rolled across the pavement! Luckily nobody was really hurt, apart from the guy in the car who got a free chiropractor's session out of the accident! (Amazingly, the bus didn't even SLOW DOWN! We all felt the bus whacking the car, and it just kept going...geeesh....)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit