HOW IT OFTEN HAPPENS PT. 3

by Dogpatch 21 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

I agree with you fully. I tried to protect my children also. I was careful. If I actually *knew* someone was a molester/rapist or a convicted felon - I truly believe I wouldn't invite him/her over for tea, beer or a romp with my kids.

2. The man got out of jail, apologized, was re-instated (and presumably the congregation wasn't ignorant why he was in jail - if nothing else, he *was* in jail for *something* not upbuilding).

Whether in the congregation or not this sage advice would be appropriate.

The sad point is, however, most molesters/rapists are known to their victims, just not their secret desires. They are not strangers. With that said, the websites and police registers for convicted child molesters/rapists would seem of great value. Have you called, and then recalled every month to see who has just been released into your neighborhood? Your siblings' neighborhood? Friends' neighborhood?

I know I haven't. Why not? Out of sight - out of mind - until it happens to your children.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 10 March 2001 16:52:58

• Shroom
    Shroom

waiting -
    I have read several of your posts that have mentioned you were abused as a child. You seemed to go in my opinion quite over the edge as a result of a chat room conversation. Now considering your reaction to a joke in the chat room I can't understand your response, concerning this mother (I'm using that term loosely) that would still want to be married to the slime that raped her daughter. She isn't "necessarily wrong" for wanting to stay in the marriage? In my opinion a woman that would still want to be intimate with a man that violated her little girl (it doesn't matter what age the daughter was, your daughter will always be your little girl) is sicker than he is.

You said tolerance is an acheivement. Having tolerance for child molesters and those people that enable them to continue abusing is not an acheivment I ever hope to reach. The day I would have compassion for a molester or those that stand silent for them to molest again is the day I'd hope to be dead. The moment you choose to either hurt a child or not stand up for a child who has been hurt is the moment you cease being deserving of compassion and tolerance.

And before you try telling me I can't judge her because I haven't lived it, you can forget that arguement. Let's just say I have plenty of horror stories of my own, but unlike what I've seen you do,I won't beat everyone over the head with the unpleasantness that I've had to endure.

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Shroom,

Nice to meet you. Are you new here - or are you using another name?

You seemed to go in my opinion quite over the edge as a result of a chat room conversation.

I don't recognize your name as being in the chatroom the day I was in there. If you weren't - you really don't have the right to offer your opinion as you weren't there. If you were there, I don't remember you significantly in the conversation. Unless people understand what Post Traumatic Syndrome is and the consequences of it - they won't understand that one of the consequences is being *triggered* or having an exaggerated response to a feeling, thing of fear or emotion as anger/hatred. I'm not a professional, if you want to understand more so you have more than just your opinion - ask one of the many professionals here. Or read a book.

Having tolerance for child molesters and those people that enable them to continue abusing is not an acheivment I ever hope to reach.

And exactly where did I encourage to tolerate and enable rapists/molesters to continue to behave as deviant criminals?

The moment you choose to either hurt a child or not stand up for a child who has been hurt is the moment you cease being deserving of compassion and tolerance.

A fine, impassioned sentence. And how have you stood up? Did you write a personal account to SilentLambs author? Have you penned responses everytime he or I have brought one of his posts over here? Have you responded over at H20? Are you active in legislation against child abusers? Where? Please give pertinent facts.

Let's just say I have plenty of horror stories of my own, but unlike what I've seen you do,I won't beat everyone over the head with the unpleasantness that I've had to endure.

Either you are unable to speak about your horror stories or you're using it as a cop-out. You help/hinder no person by saying the above. Because you've not opened anyone eyes, nor made them *feel.*
    You've given no victim a chance to see their pain in another person, because a significant number of victims have no idea what their pain should feel like because they've been told what to feel like by persons who neither know or are the abusers. You've shared nothing. You've encouraged no one. You've made no one think.

I suppose you condescendingly dismiss the girl who actually posted this story in the first place for speaking up? The pages of responses on Randy's site - they should not be there? Too "in-your-face" regarding "unpleasantness?"

Tolerance is an achievement - and obviously you haven't reached it. I haven't either much of the time. But at least I'm trying.

waiting

As long as people don't really know what the hell happens to a baby/child/teen when they're beaten/raped/molested - the chances of it continuing are greater.

• Prisca
    Prisca
    Let's just say I have plenty of horror stories of my own, but unlike what I've seen you do,I won't beat everyone over the head with the unpleasantness that I've had to endure.

I couldn't agree more.

Shroom, myself and others that choose not to "beat others around the head" with our life experiences are not unable to speak of our pain, or using it as a cop-out.

We are merely moving on with our lives. It doesn't mean we ignore our pain. Those who are close to us would know the details, but if we don't choose to share them with the whole world, so be it. It is our choice. Please respect that choice. And even if we did choose to share the details, few of us would continually bring it into every discussion. There is no need to. We've heard it once. We don't need to hear it every day.

And I have met Shroom in the chat room, and I have no reason to believe she is pretending to be who she is not.

• Xandit
    Xandit

good stuff waiting. Unfortunately a reasonable, realistic approach is not appreciated by many. I think it's particularly commendable given your personal experience.

• Sassenach
    Sassenach

Xandit and Waiting,

I just can't imagine anyone who has had a chold molested, allowing that person back in their home and around their children again. Pedophiles have a very high rate of repeating their crime.

Unfortunately a reasonable, realistic approach is not appreciated by many.

I don't think zero tolerance againt child abusers is unreasonable Xandit.

• Sassenach
    Sassenach

Waiting

I suppose you condescendingly dismiss the girl who actually posted this story in the
    first place for speaking up? The pages of responses on Randy's site - they should not be
    there? Too "in-your-face" regarding "unpleasantness?"

The post was from an ABUSE GUESTLOG. Obviously anyone setting it up or reading it is interested in sharing experiences.

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Waiting,
    You said:

............Unless people understand what Post Traumatic Syndrome is and the consequences of it - they won't understand that one of the consequences is being *triggered* or having an exaggerated response to a feeling, thing of fear or emotion as anger/hatred. I'm not a professional, if you want to understand more so you have more than just your opinion - ask one of the many professionals here. Or read a book..........

I understand PTS because I was diagnosed with it and have read quite a few books on it. But I think instead of calling out stumble, you have traded it for post traumatic Syndrome. Your expect everyone to pour out compassion and understanding to your situation, but you are so quick to jump on others. I'm not a professional, but I think you are using your life experience to be an excuse to do whatever the hell you want to others and then blame it on your past.

I remember in another post you stated you understood the blank condenscending stares of a person not really listening and you contributed this behavior coming from the men in you area. Well I don't know you on a personal basis, but from reading your post, I can understand why ANYONE would give you the glazed over look.

Happy to be Free (Me)

• Shroom
    Shroom

waiting'
    I don't need to "read a book" or "ask one of the professionals" about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, I live with it every day. So I know quite well about triggers. I am quite entitled to give my opinion based on my own experiences.

No I have not "penned responses everytime" you or Silent Lambs have brought a post over here. I have a life outside of cyberspace. Yes I am involved in things in my community to help abused women and children.

I am able to speak about what I've been through. I have spoken of it to people I think need/want to hear it. I don't believe it is something that needs to be out there in everyone's face all the time, at every opportunity. But after going through therapy and getting on my my life, I know there are more constructive ways to use my experiences than to bombard people in cyberspace with all the gory details.

Your comment about me "condescendingly dismissing" that girl's experience, is just too stupid to even bother making a response to.

Tolerance is something I do have. I just don't have it for child abusers or people that enable them. I don't have it, I never will have it. I am not going to spend my energy "trying" to feel compassion for these people. Where was their tolerance and compassion for their victims?

• waiting
    waiting

I am so glad that you friends have actually stepped forward and shared a little of your background. It's nice to know others have backgrounds similiar to my own and at least five other women here. It's nice when others finally speak up a little, now isn't it?

May I ask what, where, when, how detailed, how many minutes, and with whom is the appropriate time to speak of sexual abuse and rape? If you will point me to the professional guidelines, it would be appreciated. As to your community help projects, please give details - it would help others to reach out also, don't you think? As for speaking about incest/rape on this thread, well, it was started by another person dealing with this subject.

If you will recall, PTS actually became known because of the VietNam returning soldiers. The USA citizens greeted some of them as infamous "baby burners," among other things. USA didn't want to be reminded of the war they didn't understand and lost. The veterans had many problems, physical and emotional. They brought those to bear on their families, their jobs, and themselves. Then they started speaking. They started demonstrating, marching, demanding recognition. Professionals who dealt with them started understanding what they said.

Were they all in scrufty old uniforms and wheelchairs? All long hair? All 3-piece suit bankers? All men? Or were they're all sorts. Some incredibly angry for the price they had to pay - others doing pretty good about the so-called "unpleasantries" experienced. Did they all join in? Did some just want to remain hidden and not want to talk about such things?

A guy I work with in a body shop is a VietNam veteran. Big auto dealership. He's an excellant painter - and everyone who works there is warned ahead of time to absolutely do not walk up behind him - because if you catch him offguard, he will hit you. Polite? Absolutely not. Understandable? Not to me, never been in war. But I gave him latitude for his life. I came into where he was painting once, stood quietly about 12 feet in back of him (only place to stand) and waited until he turned to see me. When he turned and saw me quietly there, he turned completely white and had to hold onto something to steady himself. When composed, he angrily told me never to do that again in a lot of words. I apologized. It had been over 30 years since he was traumatized - but it came back like yesterday. I unintentionally triggered him - and received his anger in return.

An attorney in town was a captain in VietNam, captured by the enemy and tortured. He wrote a small book about his experiences, got it published and he remains quiet.

We are all different and take different roads. It takes tolerance to accept each other, to accept those we don't understand, and to withhold making judgments of others at least until all facts are known.

I have never encouraged a survivor/victim to speak out about their experience in public if they've said they do not wish to do so. I am quite close to another survivor who wished to post about her experience and I suggested she wait until she had time to review it with her therapist. It is a personal decision. When I answered this thread, I wrote no words about myself. I really do try to confine my speaking out to threads which actually were started about incest/rape. That would be the appropriate arena - as this one was started by another person. I really don't remember ever starting a thread about this subject myself. In fact, on threads dealing with this, there is an alarming amount of non response - which is everyone's right. I have posted almost two thousand times within the last year. I strongly suspect that the amount of posts dealing with incest/rape would be around 5% or less than a hundred posts. It's just too hard to do. 5% does not make a radical in most people's eyes.

bombard people in cyberspace with all the gory details
    I think you are using your life experience to be an excuse to do whatever the hell you want to others and then blame it on your past.
    choose not to "beat others around the head"
    And even if we did choose to share the details, few of us would continually bring it into every discussion. There is no need to. We've heard it once. We don't need to hear it every day.

Please give evidence instead of accusations, ladies. You have the ability to quote me as I have quoted you. Give evidence where I beat others around the head, bombard with gory details, continually bring it into every discussion every day?
    waiting

Edited by - waiting on 11 March 2001 10:0:53

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit