The Man In The Middle

by larc 14 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

To divide the elders into two groups - either power mad or total organization men denies some of the men here.........who are insightful, careful, articulate, and seemingly quite thoughtful. Where did they fit in when they were elders for sometimes decades?

Guess they'd fit in with the group which are individuals, who - sooner or later - finally left. But as many as have left - many are still in, some to keep their families. The elders are individuals as we are.

I agree with the Middle Management theory of elders. I also suggest that the Peter Principle applies here.........some men are made elders because that's what's supposed to come next after being a publisher, then a ministerial servant.....next an elder. Also, they've been promoted past their capabilities and/or training potential.

Thanks for the good thread, Larc. And so that some won't misconstrue my intentions of thanks as sitting at your feet in adoration......naaaaaaa, I just think this is an interesting topic

waiting

• larc
    larc

LuckLucy, You make a good point. Yes they do accept the "promotion" with free will, and have to do the organization's dirty work. I would say this is the same for a first level manager. They do it for the status and the added responsibility. When they enter the job, either manager or elder, they are often ignorant and unprepared. They have no idea what they are getting themselves into. Valis and Willim Penwell, Yes it is about power and yes, I think there are two types of elders, those who are power mad, and those who want to be humane. It is interesting how your comments parallel some research by David McClelland. He found that one of the motivators of successful managers was the need for power. However, and this is a big however, he distinguished between two types of Power motivation. The first, he called egoistic power. People with this type of motivation wanted power for status and glory and fit Valis's term, power mad. McCelland found that this kind of motivation was very harmful in organizations. The other type of power motivation, he called socialized power. People with this kind of motivation wanted to use their power to help their organization succeed, but they also wanted their subordinates to become successful. This was the kind of motivation that was helpful. I think this fits William's second description of elder's who remember Christian principles. Hey Waiting, Thank you for liking my stuff. Just when I think I had run out of stuff, I come with some more stuff. Stuff is fun. I know you aren't sitting at my feet. I think the only time you would do that is if I would write something stupid and you wanted to take a big bite out of my ankle... hee, hee.

• Prisca
    Prisca

As I've progressed in my career, I've noticed that problem first- and middle-level managers have in balancing on that precious line between keeping his boss happy, and keeping the employees below him happy. And the similarities between them, and elders in congregations, are there.

Interesting thread, larc. And I'm not just saying that cos I like you. I'd still think this thread was interesting even if it wasn't posted by you. But you did post this thread, and so I'm responding to it. I think I'll go now.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Prisca.

You got management all wrong. Major sucking up to all those above you, coupled with occassional outbursts of aggression and force. Mix their heads up a bit .

All those beneath you, the reverse, terrorize all those beneath you.but the terrorization has to be coupled with occassional expressions of extreme leniency, this is done just to confuse them, mix up their minds. Thats the ticket.

see? I DID learn some usefull stuff from 20 years in the org.It wasnt wasted.

• larc
    larc

Hey RF, I think you have been reading Dilbert's Management Handbook - a wonderful parady of management and organizational life. Unfortunately, his humor is too close to the truth at times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit