The Man In The Middle

by larc 14 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Yesterday, I was thinking about Amazing's very insightful elder series. Today, I read Dungbeetle's thoughtful post on culpability. This led me to write about the elder situation from somewhat of a different perspective. Let me preface my remarks by saying that I used to teach a course on Organizational Behavior. One of the topics in the course has to do with how the structure of an organization affects the members of that organization. One of the conclusions I have drawn from these concepts is that the toughest, most stress filled job in an organization is that of first level manager. I think this is true for the shop supervisor in a factory, the chairman of a department of a college, or a branch manager of a bank. They all face the same problem. The problem relates to the push from upper management for more productivity. At the same time, they face resistance when they apply this pressure to the workers. The man in the middle has the very tough job of balancing the demands of the organization with the real human needs of the employees. I think in this regard, the generic problem in all organizations applies to the Witnsess. I think the elders, truely, are the men in the middle. Your thoughts on this idea would be appreciated.

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

In theory that is probably true, however, how does this lead to such an abuse of power among many elders? It seems that in almost every congregation there is 1 or 2 elders lording over everyone on an immense power trip.

• Xander
    Xander

But how many '1st-level managers' do you know get hired without any 'training'? With no previous 'work experience'?

I think I agree with your analogy, and I think it highlights one of the greatest pitfalls in the org.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Larc:

I think the elders, truely, are the men in the middle.

Very true ... and it goes hand-in-hand with a post I will make shortly about Elders ... and with that, Zepunk and Xander made some points that must be addressed.

• larc
    larc

Zen, Let me answer the question with a question. How many factory supervisors misuse their power. Very many. Now, if the organization is autocratic as are some factories and as is the WT, then abuse of power will be common. Xander, many first level managers may have job experience, but no management experience. One of the greatest needs in most organizations in first level management training. Enlightened organizations provide it. Unfortunately, the elder training is very poor. To compound this problem is that elders don't just have to deal with worker productivity issues, they also are supposed to function as marriage counselors, investigators of crime, therapists for the mentally ill, etc. They are woefully ill equiped for such assignements.

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Yes they are in the middle.Without them tho who will do the WT organisations dirty work.They CHOOSE to.FREE WILL!!!

• Valis
    Valis

I also liken it to the Inglewood situation, where sooner or later personal flaws shine birghtly along with a crack in not only the chain of command, evident lack of training, care for the individual, and disregard for accountability. Why anyone would actually want to be an elder is beyond me. It certainly isn't to "help" the members of the congo right off the bat, and as I agree w/you all eventually it becomes a matter of power, then something uglier when that power is questioned.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

There are two types of elders. There are the ones that take the position to their heads and lord it over others. These are the ones that take everything from the society as gospel truth and everything is black and white. They run the congregation like a business with no feelings for the members. Unfortunately these are the ones that have most of the say in the congregation. They seem to forget that we live by Christian principles and not laws. The other type of elder is the ones that live by Christian principles. They are genuinely concerned about the brothers and sisters welfare in the congregation. They will use their mental reasoning powers a little more but are always kept in check by the mother organization. These ones eventually get a Crisis of Conscience and walk away from it because they can see that the whole system is corrupt.

Will

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

Co-incidentally, just last week, I started referring to the Elders as Wholesalers.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Good observations, WP.

I never had even the slightest inclination to climb the WT organizational ladder when I was in. I never could master the elders' "do more" song. "Are you depressed? Why, if you did more in Jehovah's Service (tm) you wouldn't be. Are you lonely? Why, if you..." The elders are on such a treadmill. The "first-level manager" analogy is apt.

Initially, I always wondered what was discussed in all those closed door meetings at the KH. Somehow, the longer I hung around, the more I didn't want to know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit