Elders and Culpability Revisited

by dungbeetle 16 Replies latest jw friends

• borgfree
    borgfree

Hi dungbeetle,

I agree with most of what you say. I think that some ex-elders do themselves no good by their current attitudes. I posted a reply on a similar thread some months ago. The ex-elder had made the point that he ignores negative comments, I replied that I had found the elders to have that same kind of attitude when I was in the org.

The ex-elder chose to ignore my post. That kind of attitude does not make me feel very good about either an active elder or an ex-elder.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=19142&page=2&site=3

Borgfree

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

(((((((((((((Dungbeetle excellent post thumbs up))))))))))))))

plum

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

borgfree: I read the thread, I agree with you with one additional point to add: that was six months ago, and perhaps this former elder has changed. There is one thing he said that bothered me: that resigning as an elder made him feel really bad and that he would live with it the best he could.

hmmmm...

No more dragging rape and molestation survivors before judicial committees to 'inquire'.

No more dragging young men in before judicial committees to make sure they haven't masterbated in the last month.

No more 'loving shepherding calls' on a pair of young people of the same sex sharing a residence, to make sure they are not having sex together. (happened to me son-in-law)

No more 'inquiries' into whether that young couple with a recently hospitalized baby resorted to blood transfusions for their sick child.

I did not understand then, and I do not understand now, what the H*L* there is to miss. All the 'good' things elders allegedly did for their 'flock' are all the same things that publishers, and especially women, have been doing in the Watchtower org for a CENTURY. I did it myself. I STILL do it, even tho my views may be unpopular and go totally uncredited by certain individuals on this board when I DARE <gasp> to maintain an opposing position.

People change. There are many individuals who came to the board and behaved abominably in the beginning, and now they have changed. Good for them. Some behave abominably still; there are a few posters (all male I think) that will subject ANYONE who holds a viewpoint in oposite to them who WILL be subject to ridicule.

But you know what? They can eat s**t. That is what their BEHAVIOR is worth. And as you pointed out, this has nothing to do with them being JW or EXJW. And as you also pointed out, their words remain on the board, and can be pulled out and put into the open for all to see at the drop of a hat.

((((((((((((((( borgfree ))))))))))))))))

• larc
    larc

borgfree, I have asked a number of questions to a number of posters. On several occasions, my questions have been ignored. I do one of two things. I either forget about it, or I re-ask the question within 2 days. Sometimes this prompts a response and sometimes it doesn't. Whatever the outcome, it doesn't make me feel bad.

• borgfree
    borgfree

Thanks Dungbeetle,

I again agree wtih you. I have said things in the past that I wish I had not said, on a board like this people cannot see your expressions, etc. and cannot tell if you have a weird sense of humor (like me) so they take you wrong at times.

Borgfree

• borgfree
    borgfree

Larc,

I can see that and will agree with you. That particular time was important to me and the topic is a sore spot. It added to a long string of elder related snubs I have experienced. I promise I will try not to bring it up again. (Today anyway.)

Borgfree

• songmistress
    songmistress

Dungbeetle,

I came to a similar conclusion when I read "30 years a Watchtower Slave". Today the rank and file are doing what has always been done for no other reason than it has always been done that way.

I have heard it said that cows will walk the fence around and around. After a time, you can take the fence away, and they will still "walk the fence". When we give up our freedom of thought and give ourselves over to anyone to think for us, we run the risk of becoming as those cows.

As has been said before in this thread, judgement is not needed. We are all(JW, exJW, abuse victim, ect. ect. ect.) just doing the best we can with the information and skills we have available to us. Judgement only helps to erect barriers (christians judge non-christians, one race judges another, and so on.) We on the outside of the Borg, would be of more help, IMHO, if we made ourselves available to those who are searching for a way out. Those who are not looking to leave JW, well that is their choice and their right. The information about the WTS is available for the asking.

As far as I am concerned, God is able to call anyone to Himself, no matter where they are and whatever life situation they may be in. I can't help wondering, if my father in law hadn't judged my decision to study with JW's, would I have come to be part of them for 18 years. I will never know.

Blessings to all,

Song

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit