No Future

by Perfection Seeker 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

I think it is sad how witnesses don't think FUTURE. They don't save for a rainy day, don't plan for retirement, don't get higher education, ALOT are overweight, thinking why bother, don't worry about their health, etc.

AND, have you notice, they almost TRY to get people to have low self esteem? Like feeling worthless about yourself is going to make you a better Christian somehow?

No birthdays- because that focuses on you, no clapping for reinstatements, no parties for reinstatements or babtism. You'd think getting babtized or reinstated would be cause for rejoicing. "Even the angels rejoice at a sinner that repents" Or whatever that is- been awhile-lol.

When I was "in" they had me fat, uneducated, such low self esteem & sense of worth, and feeling like I couldn't live without the organization.

In my congregation, there was ALOT of overweight people, like very overweight- 300- 500 pounds- and you'd think since they take the bible so literal- they'd believe the gluttony is a sin thing, but I guess not.

Anyone have comments, or similar feelings?

Melissa

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Hi, PS.

Overweight folks are in EVERY religion. Many times on TV or the movies the church woman (NOT the 'Church Lady', LOL!) is portrayed as a heavy-set, paper fan weilding, praise-the-lord shouting, amen-saying person.

Believe me...Obesity is a problem no matter which God your serve or don't serve.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

I have a nice little 401k

an IRA

a college degree

and less than 6 % bodyfat

Sounds like your anger stems from being overweight.

Dont blame the Dubs for the Big Mac in your hand

An argument could also be made for the percentage of

overweight people in various tax brackets.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Melissa you made some good points. I agree about their lack of planning. Its horrible to see so many witnesses not buying houses and not having pensions, just because they think armageddon will be here before they're 65!

Mike

have a nice little 401k

an IRA

a college degree

and less than 6 % bodyfat

Well Whoop-de-doo. What, do you want a round of applause?

Sounds like your anger stems from being overweight.

Dont blame the Dubs for the Big Mac in your hand

Melissa said she was fat when she was in, you don't even know if she is fat now. Plus, we don't all have to have 6% bodyfat (and tell people about it to make ourselves sound good). Now before you decide to slag me off, I'm not overweight at all. We don't all have to be sticks you know...some weight on us is healthy anyway.

M made some good points about birthdays, etc. aswell.

Sirona

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yup, worry only about today, like jesus said. Don't plan for tomorrow, 'for how do you know that they might require your life from you this night'. According to what i grew up with, even saving money for old age was useless, because money would soon be worthless. Yet, i see people who got educated, worked hard, invested. Now they are retired, living in beautiful houses, in nice surroundings, enjoying every liesurely day, doing what they want. I have 16 yrs 'till retirement, how much can i save, given that my income is in a lower bracket? Thanks, watchtower.

SS

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mike

Your nytel is starting to show a bit.

SS

• SYN
    SYN

Luckily in SA the people aren't as crazy about greasy food as elsewhere (from what I hear - it's rarely that the average SA person will have a Big Mac), but there were still PLENTY of overweight people in my Hall!

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Well Whoop-de-doo. What, do you want a round of applause?

However you feel about my future planning is of no concern to me.

PS stated that witnesses dont plan for the future,

I am a witness. So I corrected her. It is ashame Sirona that you cant see it as that.

SS

I speak the truth.

Sorry if goes against your stereotypes

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

I was fat & helpless in the organization, that is how my parents wanted me. I am not fat or helpless now, have gone to college, and am very happy. Yes, alot of people are overweight in this country- I just mean for witnesses, they seem to think it doesn't matter- cause you don't want to look good, and have people look at you, plus the end is coming, blah blah blah. I shouldn't have said that about the overweight thing, but in my hall- it was a big deal! In fact, skinny people studied, became witnesses & got fat. Its like the motivation to care or of your appearance changes. No big mac in my hand- but you have a right to say that- no problem! :-) Can't figure out how to post a picture, or I would- might even go get a big mac for the picture :-)

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

I am glad to see that you have improved your life. To be consistant-the WTS should df obese people. This is with the df'ing of smokers in mind. of course I dont think that dfing people is needed--just as dfing smokers is not needed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit