Why Are Most JW's Former R. Catholics?

by Bhagavad 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Bhagavad
    Bhagavad

http://www.bible.ca/cath-JW-converting.htm

I just tried my above link and it does not link. Any input?

Edited by - Bhagavad on 9 July 2002 18:10:19

• revdrjohnson
    revdrjohnson

It worked for me

• nancee park
    nancee park

Most were in some other church before converting to the Watchtower Society, and the largest other church is Roman Catholicism.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I would say most JWs presently were born into the religion. Perhaps of those that converted most might have been Roman Catholic and that might be a sure bet in Mexico and Italy. But I don't know how one would obtain solid statistics to make such a claim.

Path

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Bha,

I was raised a Roman Catholic - and started studying at age 18 with jw's in the famous little blue Truth Book.

The woman who studied with me was raised a jw and told me that she had been told that the Truth Book was primarily written for the Catholic audience - as all their basic doctrines are covered. I agree with her still on that point. She told me that there was a huge influx of Catholics in the late 60's till mid 70's at least.

1. As brought out - there are a huge number of Catholics to recruit from.

2. The VietNam War was going on - and many young people were looking for answers, no matter if they were correct answers or not, eh?

3. The hippie movement was also going on - and they were against the establishment. The Catholic Church was establishment. The JW's were anti-establishment, anti-religion, anti-goverment, break away from your family, etc., etc.

In fact, the woman who studied with me said that when they studied with hippies, they had to be careful to point out that jw's weren't really anti-establishment.

Interesting - but the JW's never said they were an establishment unto themselves.

waiting

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

It seems that the WTS capitalize on peoples weaknesses.

Pureheart

• butalbee
  • butalbee
    butalbee

I think that page is a bunch of BS. Written by dubs to gain converts.....

Oh BTW---I LOVE this new formatting. It is soooooooo kewl.

• myself
    myself

Could it be a pedophile thng?

• abbagail
    abbagail

Myself, Excellent one-liner reply!!! LOL!

-----

Can't say why other RC's switched, but for me:
    1. Agree with the Truth book summation above.
    2. They showed me God HAD A NAME, something I never heard in 14 years of Catholic school/church. And I was thrilled to learn it.
    3. They used the BIBLE/scriptures whereas I never had/used/was directed to study from a REAL BIBLE in 14 years as a RC. (We had "missiles" if you know what that is...)
    4. But the biggest draw for me was the simple explanation of how God would "fix" things, i.e., Adam & Eve screwed things up and Jah was going to "fix it." In RC, all I ever knew was that the earth was going to be burned up in a ball of fire (RC teaching when I was young); and here a student of-JW (co-worker) showed me that God was going to restore the original condition of the earth back to paradise conditions rather than burn up the earth at some point in the future (I was always worried about that as a kid). That God would "make everything right again" was the "simple truth" that won my heart and 2 years after hearing it, I finally began a study. FWIW.

GRITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit