Guns. Well said Mr President, if only your countrymen had the same courage to consider changing course.

by nicolaou 75 Replies latest social current

• Spectre
    Spectre

Why is banning guns the only thing that pro-gun people think that the left wants?

Did Joe Biden recommend people getting a shotgun for home protection?

This little shit was given a gun as a gift from his dad (or so I've heard on the news), is giving gifts to some crazy racist appropriate?

The right wing wants voters to present an I.D. to vote. Is it really such a problem to make sure the buyer of a gun is a responsible adult?

• Mephis
    Mephis
    The problem with the video Cappytan links is that the guy doesn't touch upon definitions. Common assault in the UK is classed as violent crime. I push someone, I get prosecuted for common assault. +1 to violent crime. Around 50% of British violent crime results in no injury to the victim. In the US, I'd need to commit an aggravated assault in order to add to the numbers - which by definition does result in injury to the victim. It's a curious video in that it fails to do precisely what it says it wants to do. I am 4 times more likely to be murdered in the US than I am in Britain and 35 times more likely to be shot dead, and I am 7 times more likely to suffer an assault which results in injury in the US versus Britain.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I both present ID, go through backround checks, a 3 hour gun owner education class and a 7 day waiting period.

noone has to show id to vote. Its a false equilivantcy and strawman argument

• Simon
    Simon
    I just love it when people who live outside of the US talk shit about Americans and their 2nd Amendment right to own guns.

I just love it when people who live in the US talk endless shit about their 2nd Amendment right to own guns.

Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, the US could learn something from all the other countries that have figured out how to keep their citizens safer?

"this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries"

Stop lying Mr President! Have you already forgotten about Charlie Hebdo? What about the Osaka school massacre? What about the 2011 Norway attacks?

I think the president misspoke. What he should have said is:

"this type of mass violence does not happen in advanced countries"

... because this type of mass violence determines whether you are an advanced country or a nation of Neanderthals.

Yes, other countries have shooting incidents. But they tend to be less severe and far less frequent.

You quote the one thing in Norway, the one thing in France. Surprised you didn't quote the one thing in the UK that resulted in tightening of gun laws.

We had a mass shooting at a school and were able to make sensible changes as a result because protecting people, especially children, is paramount and trumps EVERYONE ELSE'S RIGHTS.

Civilization is all about compromise. You need a zeroth Amendment - people have the right to life. It trumps all other rights.

Simple fact: the US is an outlier for so many stats. Not in a good way. It's not an achievement and doesn't make you special.

• Simon
    Simon

For anyone not in North America you probably aren't aware just what the state of the news is here.

It is an incredibly fearful and paranoid populace.

If anything happens anywhere in the world. A bomb goes off in Iraq for instance. By the time they have finished reporting it on the news and had a couple of panel experts comment on it they have twisted it to the US being under attack and in imminent threat.

That is CNN, god knows what Fox News is like.

Whatever happens, people are coming to get you and you'd better have your guns ready to fight them off.

But of course no one ever does. While Americans love the idea that they are John Wayne or Clint Eastwood the reality is that guns for self defense are used for self defense incredibly rarely.

They are for more likely to be used for suicide, for killing a spouse or for a child to kill a sibling or their mother.

The reasons for the guns is because it is a selfish society where everyone (rightly) thinks they will be in the best situation if they have a gun and no one else does. Of course it's a fallacy - when everyone has guns they become widespread and the reason they are so easy for criminals to obtain is because they are so widespread.

For every responsible gun owner there are hundreds who are not and their guns easily end up in the hands of criminals after robberies etc...

This widespread availability of guns means that everyone needs a gun.

Unlucky.

There is NOTHING that the US can do other than accept the fact that mass shootings are a consequence and the price you have to pay for having so many weapons and so many idiots.

Do I think guns are a good idea? No, it's utterly retarded.

But if I had to live in the US I would own a gun.

(Note: all talk of 'gun' relates to handguns ans assault rifles - the type that are of no use for anything other than shooting people).

• Simon
    Simon
    "Any thoughts on why the crime rate was so high 30-40 years ago?
    Didn't people have enough guns to deter the crime?"

There was a very interesting part of Episode 2 of the latest Season 3 of "Orange is the New Black".

One of the characters was explaining that the reason for the 30-40 year drop in crime is Roe vs Wade. All those unwanted kids who would have been born and ended up in a life of crime removed from the equation (so the character feeling bad about abortions / miscarriages shouldn't because she 'spared' those kids their inevitable life).

I think there is possibly a certain amount of truth to it even though it was extreme / slightly comic.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I think cars should also be outlawed .

Do you know how many people die in car accidents?

What if someone decides to drive on a sidewalk full of people?

Cars are bad, bad I tell you !

Golly, we must control everything don't we ?

• Simon
    Simon

Cars serve a useful purpose.

Even though people are killed, it's accidental and not their main purpose.

Guns are designed to kill. That is their sole purpose in life (or should it be 'death' ?)

• talesin
    talesin

It's curious to me, that Americans fight very hard to keep their guns, but y'all don't seem too worried about losing your other freedoms? Where are the protests

Our government is in the process of passing Bill C-51, which stomps all over our constitution, and there is an huge movement to stop this bill. We don't 'quote' our Constitution, nor do we memorize it, but we sure as hell don't want Big Brother taking even more control.

What's up, America? Guns, we need them! Personal liberty - not so much! I just . don't . get it.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

I am a gun owner and I hunt.

And even I know there are way too many guns and way too much ammo too easily available in the USA

I have no fear in my home country that any person around me is carrying a concealed hand gun

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit