What do you buy a 5 year old?

by Prisca 29 Replies latest social family

• Valis
    Valis

I'm currently stuck in arts and crafts mode...Crayola has the markers that can only mark on special paper, if walls are in jeopardy, or the hand in the plaster thing is always a sure bet, even includes the goo to make plastic mold of hand & paints...not to say the least, one can never have too many crayons, except in the dryer.....I usually hit up Target or such ilk to find the most arts and crafts kits possible for least cash. My kids go through them like miniature tornadoes...good luck and if all else fails get the poor child a smurf doll...heheh

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• TR
    TR

Prisca,

Just re-read the thread.

I can see resurrecting a thread on sex, or motorcycles, or guns, but what to get a 5 year old for her birthday? A year too late?

TR

• Scully
    Scully

Prisca:

My children absolutely love the "I Spy" series of books by Jean Marzollo and Walter Wick, and they are suitable for children of all ages. They are quite large books, which makes them good lap books for sharing with fascinating colourful photographs. Each picture has a verse of rhyme (a riddle) at the bottom of the page, and the children have to find the objects that are named in the rhyme.

There are several books in the series, and if you don't have them in Australia, you should be able to order them via http://www.amazon.com

Love, Scully

• Scully
    Scully

oh brother..... i never even noticed that this thread is a year old already.... until after i posted my suggestion......

DOH!

oh well..... maybe someone else can use the idea!!

Love, Scully

• siegswife
    siegswife

When my oldest granddaughter was an infant, I bought her a neat little wooden trinket box, that I keep at my house and put little 'treasures' in. A ring, a necklace, bracelet, etc. Now I have one for my other granddaughter and grandson too. I told them that they could have their boxes when they're 13. This way I know that there's a chance that they will keep anything I give them that I really want them to keep.

For birthdays and holidays, I pretty much stick to the basic stuff...Barbie and whatever sport my grandson is into that week. :0)

My sister in law likes to get my daughter the 'special edition' Barbies for her birthday. I try to get her to take good care of them...

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    so what do you guys think I should buy a 6 year old? lol....

A magnifying glass. Or one of those little hand-held ten-power microscope thingies. K-Mart has 'em, Target probably will too. I believe in buying children gifts that will blow their mind. Children don't get amazed enough. It's been a problem throughout human history

Gently Feral

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

This is not the first thread of late to have been resurrected.

D'ya think it's the WT apologists seeking some kind of antitype fulfillment of a prophecy?

What about it, maurgen?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I think I need to come to maurgen's defense here. I remember when I first found this site, I sat and read every post that was available to read. It takes some time to get used to how this board is run and in the beginning you want to catch all the info you can and the last thing you tend to look at is the date. It is the thread you are paying attention to.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I also want to add that I appreciate everyone's suggestions here. Those "I Spy" books look pretty good; I also like Valis' suggestions about Crayola stuff, but my sister has already said no to arty-crafty things - she's worried it will create too much mess

Seigswife's suggestion about a "treasure box" is already in place - my niece is a hoarder to the nth degree, LOL.

GentlyFeral's idea of a magnifying glass is pretty cool. We have a shop here that has plenty of things I plan to buy her when she gets older - bug catchers, maps of the starry heavens, telescopes to look at things with. Just got to wait for her to get a bit older so she'll understand how to use them.

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

How about "The Smurfs." Your kid would love it and you would make a statement at the same time.

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit