Evolution/Creation Talk

by truthseeker1 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

This last sunday we had the Evolution/Creation talk. It was hard to sit there and take that load of crap. Its funny because the night before I looked up a lot of Evolution info at different schools on the web so the arguments were fresh in my mind. Basically they attacked evolution because it makes doesn't answer questions like "Why are we here" and evolution doesn't explain how laws, languages, beliefs came about.

If he would have let me, I could have answered all those questions. It got me angry because he made some outlandish statements about people who believe in evolution encourage people to act like animals, because thats where we came from. Isn't this contradictory ( sp?) to evolution? We are a higher being of life than chimps and dogs. We are above throwing our own feces at others, or eating it for that matter. Why would we revert back to being animalistic and lose everything we have accomplished? We developed languages, civilizations with laws & codes, family structure ect. People get along better (generally) and live longer (generally) with these things. Why would we go back, as the speaker said Evolutionists promote.

Any other public talks that just rub you the wrong way??? False Religion, end is near comes to mind.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Just wanted to give this thread one more shot, anyone else want to discuss public talks that were out of this world?

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I hated that talk about the structure of the family. How wives should be in subjection to their husbands just as husbands were in subjection to Christ. The husband has to study with his children and the wife to make sure they are all stayed spiritually strongt. All decisions are made by the husband, but he may consult his wife on certain things like vacations, yadda, yadda, yadda......... Always made me want to go out and strangle someone!

Edited by - Dutchie on 8 July 2002 18:28:13

• Xander
    Xander
    people who believe in evolution encourage people to act like animals, because thats where we came from

I'm almost 100% sure that quote originated from a WTBTS publication. I KNOW I've heard it before from 'the stand'. Certainly, other ilk of its kind, like taking Darwin out of context (regularly), quoting people as the definitive source for knowledge evolution-related, then shooting their arguments down (and, generally, these 'sources' turned out to be closet Young Earth Creationists or similar).

Someone has on the net (I think) a VERY good critique of the 'Evolution' book, which is guilty of some pretty serious flaws. (IE., if you turned in a chapter of that book for a Term paper, you'd fail due to the extreme literary liberties taken).

• crownboy
    crownboy

Even though I'm a guy, Dutchie, those "headship" talks always get on my nerves. A couple months ago we had one, and the speaker said that men were not smarter or more capable of "being the head" as opposed to women (he even jokingly said that his wife is smarter than him), but that the headship arrangement was there due to Jehovah's "organizational principle". He more or less said that wherever there are two or more people, Jehovah likes to organize his people (didn't really expound on how he reached that conclusion). He compared husbands to elders; elders aren't anymore "capable" (in most cases) of "eldering" than sisters or non elder brothers, but they are entrusted with more responsibilities than non elders because of the "organizational priniciple". He more or less said men are arbitrarily chosen as "heads" because they existed before women, and God originally created women to complement men. He seemed to be trying to rationalize an outdated relic of a patriarchial society built on the premise of female inferiority, but at least he didn't make any innane jokes about women cooking better than men, etc., infact he seemed to be going out of his way to be "liberal", certainly more so than most.

I haven't heard any evolution talks in a while, but it sounds about right that such drivel should be spewed (and of course the "what's the meaning of life?" question.) If I may ask, why do you still go to meetings, truthseeker1? (I still live with my Witness parents, so I kind of have to) I myself sometimes feel like going up to speakers and correcting them when they misrepresent stuff, it's really sad.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I still go to meetings because not going causes too many problems. I guess I don't have big enough balls :)

My wife is a JW. She knows how I feel, that I have no faith and that I don't believe she has the truth. I told her that I'll give it one more shot. When I first studied, I did it for her (big mistake) and now i'm doing a study for myself (gag) actually, I'm just going over the same old crap I don't believe, but then in the end I can say I looked it over twice, once for her and once for me, and still came up with the same conclusion, that it is a bunch of BS GARBAGE. Then I'll make my own way through life. (Gotta have a plan, right?)

The wife now tells me that either way I live, she will still stay with me. I don't really think thats what she wants, I think she is saying that cuz thats what the elders told her to say. (there are other posts about my story, so I won't repeat them here)

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

In my opinion, the male headship as taught and practiced by the dubs is utter nonsense. What they preach sounds more like forced co-dependency to me. They also say it takes both the man and the woman to make a family complete, as each has their unique outlook, experiences, mannerisms and what not to contribute to help the kids grow and be productive adults. If each is contributing equally, doesn't that really make the husband and wife equal? Where does that allow for either to be in subjection to the other?

No, if I want a servant, I can go hire one, not marry them. A wife should be the one you wish to spend your life with and grow together, not lord it over her.

Lew W

• Mackin
    Mackin

The very first public talk I ever gave was all about proving the flood of Noah's day really did happen. It was not long after I was appointed an MS. I did my own research (as opposed to the "approved" WT research) and proved to myself that an earth-wide flood was impossible.

The WT reasoning was, and still is, totally erroneous. The concept of the earth-wide flood is one of the things that convinces me that the Bible is a human book containing many myths and fiction.

But being the ambitious little 'dub that I was I gave the talk anyway, delivering the accepted party line. I refused to ever give that talk again however. Every time I heard it I used to wince.

• ravingferret
    ravingferret

Greetings,

Interesting stuff you all have to say,personally I think the bible is pretty spot on as to how we got here including the flood,if you believe in it,as for the earth-wide flood,do you honestly think for the person who created the planet and everything else,flooding the planet would be an easy task explaining the location of animal remains on the high peaks of mountain ranges around the world,the question I have is that there seems to be quite a few people on the site who have loads of negative feedback,and seeing I havnt read a publication in 6 years Im looking for some explanations as to what the hell we are doing here in the first place.

There is a saying:"he who dies with most toys wins",belive me Ive got loads of toys thanks to some business ideas but thats besides the point.
    Ive become a little bored,tried a few extreme sports like mountain climbing,hand gliding and even motor-cycle racing to no avail.

What I need to know is what to work towards and nobody on this site seems to have an idea,at this rate I might consider going back with my tail between my legs and hope for the best.

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Hi RavingFerret,

What exactly are you looking for? I notice that in one of your other responses that you claim to be studying with witnesses and now, you're referring to 6-yr old publications? Hmmm...so are you a new JW, a non JW (meaning: never-been-JW), an oldie but goodie JW, or an oldie but badie JW (lol)? Are you looking for someone to tell you what to think? Or to give you some direction? Then maybe it is best if you do tuck tail and run back. No one here is going to tell you what to believe OR think. And many here are still searching for some sort of direction themselves. This is, however (IMHO), a very informative site, with most of the info (notice I said most not all) being accurate. You are entitled to disagree and even get offended but it is downright silly to indirectly blame the people here for not giving you enough of or, more likely, "the kind of" information you want to hear, hence causing you to: "consider going back with my tail between my legs and hope for the best."

Not everyone here is nice or tactful (welcome to reality). Not everyone here believes exactly the same...there is a collage of different people here, JWs, atheists, agnostic, christians, mormons, you name it...so, naturally not everyone's ideas of creation, beliefs, etc are going to jive with yours. Don't run back just because you don't agree with this person or that person or because someone is negative, ok?? I hope that you will stick around a little longer. Welcome!!!

Bona Dea

Edited by - Bona Dea on 12 July 2002 11:40:45

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit