New rules from WTS to restrict use of internet?

by Nowfree 19 Replies latest jw friends

• anglise
    anglise

Has anyone tried the approach of mentioning things from the internet that they know their JW friends/relatives will be interested in.

For example most dubs are into health issues, so just give them the snippets,make sure it is from reputable sites, let them know it is from the internet and maybe they will begin to see that not all the information on line is "evil and satanic".

Maybe in this way they will overcome their paranoia and start to look for themselves.

It is the same tactics that the WTBTS uses in publishing the Awake mag and then always placing it with a Watchtower.

Maybe it is worth a try.

Anglise

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I remember lots of convention parts about Internet uses, and how chat, and message boards are evil, because my mother would always right it down and double underline it and show it to me...hee hee, those underlines really put the fear of God in me, let me tell you!

I think the whole internet policy is like the Rock and Roll policies. You can tell people they are a slippery slope and will lead to damnation/bad associations whatever, but ultimately people will do whatever they think they can get away with. It's the nature of the human condition. If that means hiding your Piosion album under your bed, and chatting online to apostates late at night so be it. Frankly I like that they post here, this would be a dull board without them. Plus it will always be fightin material in a good flame war...

"Hey aren't you not supposed to be here?"

"I can do what I want"

"That's not following the Elders loving arangements then is it? By the power of GreySkull I call forth my Aposto-powers--woogey woogey woogey!"

• mustang
    mustang

"The word 'Internet' triggers a Pavlovian response among JWs to stop listening. This just shows how powerfully the WBTS controls the minds of its followers.

....Or, if you like, mention it for fun and see what happens; I guarantee that you will get the same programmed reaction every time. "

Use a cross for vampires or keep a silver bullet in the revolver, wolfbane for werewolves and say INTERNET, INTERNET, INTERNET when encountering a JW.

Yes, always be prepared.

Mustang Irreverent Class

Edited by - mustang on 7 July 2002 20:5:15

Edited by - mustang on 7 July 2002 20:7:49

• jack2
    jack2

Interesting comments.

Joanna, good point - it is much like the demonization fo rock n' roll. And the response is ultimately the same; people will do it anyway.

Calico Cat - hey, I'm all for that new breed of jw's! And you're right - despite the warnings, there are jws that have launched and maintained such sites.

VM44 - I wonder if Stevie's site contains boobie pics.

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

joanna--LMAO @ poison under the bed--was that aimed at me??? you goof!

beck

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I do suppose someone should inform the congregtions that the society is hovering in sites like this all the time. So how do they justify this? I guess they believe in, do as I say but not as I do. One word,

hypocrites!! hypocrites!! hypocrites!!

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Of course Eye...

• minimus
    minimus

no INTERNET= no Watchtower web page....and we know how devestating that would be!

• Flip
    Flip
    "That's not following the Elders loving arangements then is it? By the power of GreySkull I call forth my Aposto-powers--woogey woogey woogey!"

Jdandy', ya got me ROTHF!

Flip

• Xander
    Xander
    DM: (crikey DM!) did you learn that, from the Internet?

Oh, that is SO true - I've heard that from my wife even (ex-JW). Start talking about some anti-JW thing and she gets "Oh, I dunno if that's true, did you read that on the internet or something?"

Which is funny, because she spends, like 100% of her time on her computer on the net.

IW: By the power of GreySkull I call forth my Aposto-powers--woogey woogey woogey

Okay, if Simon ever gets the sigs working again, that is SO IN IT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit