New rules from WTS to restrict use of internet?

by Nowfree 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

I know of a Presiding Overseer who has recently got rid of the modem and internet connections on his PC. The reason given was that he didnt use it enough to make the monthly expense worthwhile.

But I wonder?

Have there been any local needs items or talks recently about whether it is wise to use the internet?

Nowfree

• Amazing
    Amazing

I have no doubt that some Congregations have had such local needs parts ... the Nov 99 KM pretty well laid out the rules and subtle implications taken as JW Law ... The Internet scares the WTS to death because at little or no cost, ex-JWs are now equalized to the Great Publishing Empire called the Watchtower. And it will get worse before its over.

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

The WT's key is to keep their members IGNORANT. Internet's a mighty powerful information tool.

So, in light of this....(haha, lol) I believe they will find PAGAN ORIGINS to the internet, or DEMONIC DOORWAYS eventually enabling them to proclaim the internet DANGEROUS to all .....and to avoid at all costs. Thus, they will proclaim NEW LIGHT in deciding usage for internet as not appropriate for JWs.

You watch.....i'll laugh HARD if this actually comes to pass.

Native.

P.S. Damn, i'm starting to sound like a prophet. SCARY, HUH?

• toddy
    toddy

Would that explain this?

Was a website run by an active Dub.

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

I am not firmilar with anything new about the internet rules...I have friends who are jw's...and still good friends even though they know where i stand...that keep me updated..But i do remember when i was an active jw ...the kingdom ministry JUST brought out the "new light" of th einternet. After the meeting i went up to find my mother sitting next to the persiding overseer's wife..who apparently was so convinced she (the Po's Wife) had all the authority that she screamed upon sight "YOU REALLY NEED TO READ THIS KINGDOM MINSTRY ARTICLE ABOUT THE INTERNET" and the entire congregation looked at me. My mom was even embarassed. I do however find it very interesting that the Society as supposedly "The Channel of communication of God" (Maybe it's me but i thought it was Christ?) is so eager to say that the internet is part of Satan's world and a Satanic thing etc..etc..etc...and should be AVOIDED...because it's part of Satan...yet they have their own website ON this "satanic internet." Therefore being a PART of "Satan's World." Has anyone ever thought of this? FS

Edited by - FiveShadows on 7 July 2002 16:40:40

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

well, i haven't been out that long......just under 2 years. i do remember, however; my dad had a service meeting part or two about the internet and the 'dangers' of the internet. from what i remember of his talk and the 'research' from the WTS it was pretty clear that internet useage was to be limited and that no JW in good standing with a good conscience would ever be on a message board such as this. the whole point of it had to do something with bad association and since you don't know if you're really talking to JW's or apostates, it should be avoided all together. and i find it interesting that my sister was talking in the chat room the other day to someone who still claims to be an active dub--she asked the same sort of ques. she asked if the congo and elders for that person's KH would approve of visiting this site and talking with apostates--the person's reply was "what they don't know won't hurt them." i think people need to stop living in denial and if they can't agree with the rules of the borg, then get the hell out!!

• moman
    moman

The "net" will set you free!!!

Dang, the DARK is always afraid of the LIGHT, ain't it so, brothers say, AMEN! lol

• dmouse
    dmouse

They can't ban Internet use. It is now an essential part of owning a computer, and computers are now an essential part of modern life.

All they can do is demonize it and hope that they can keep the hard core of followers from finding out the truth.

The first thing that JWs ask me when I tell them something that they don't like is 'where did you learn that, from the Internet?' As soon as I confirm that it was off the net their eyes glaze over and further communication becomes impossible.

The word 'Internet' triggers a Pavlovian response among JWs to stop listening. This just shows how powerfully the WBTS controls the minds of its followers.

The best thing if you find information off the net is to try and find non-Internet sources or make up a question as if it stems from your own doubts.

NEVER mention the Internet to a JW. Or, if you like, mention it for fun and see what happens; I guarantee that you will get the same programmed reaction every time.

• Calico_Cat
    Calico_Cat

I don't think the WTBS can ban the internet totally. The Nov 99 KM didn't budge PLN, JWZone and livekast.com. There is a new breed of JWs out there and they don't listen to a bunch of old men anymore.

• VM44
    VM44

Toddy, I found that website (or what is left of it). It was advertised as:

Stevies Place -

D ownloads, pictures ,fun, all with a Theocratic theme. The best place for Jehovah's Witnesses online!

Now all there is left is the KM reference! --VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit