to scream or not to scream

by Incense_and_Peppermints 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Solace
    Solace

Professor, Sad isnt it.

I honestly had never even heard about this teaching while I was a witness, Im pretty sure my family didnt know about it either. Im not sure how many others here have been in this type of situation but I know for a fact, if someone is forcing themself on you and you are afraid, if they tell you to shutt up, you will probably shutt up, especially if you know that it wont do any good or nobody is going to hear you anyway.

• mommy1
    mommy1

What a terrible thing to put on a witness woman who is about to be raped. If I don't scream I will be disfellowshipped, if I do he will blow my head off?

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Incense

I finally read this post and I truly enjoyed it. I thought it was especially appropriate for women.

The confusion and contradiction is so obvious. Your pictures of Drew and the WT/Awake articles to "support" each remark is excellent.

Why can't JW's just listen to our own conscience? Why do they have to get inside people's lives so much---and it's plain to see, their "light" was really more blinding than anything else.

IslandWoman gave a really good reply about Spiritual Rape. Right on the mark.

Karen/Sentinel

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Sorry,

Thanks kindly for the post. Dungbeetle taught me a lot about this subject. However, I'm a little confused here.

No. If you don't scream you won't be disfellowshipped.
    Awake!, September 22, 1986, p. 28

So what if the JW lady did scream during this time period? Would she possibly be dfed?

hawk

• saltiest
    saltiest

It was this wishy washy policy that was the last straw and got me out of the borg. Unfortunately I had to suffer being stalked for a year and raped twice by the same man to finally realize what pure bull shit the whole WTS was.

I've mentioned this on the board before, but the way I was treated by the elders after it all came out is just wrong. Of course, I never forgave my mother (don't bother trying to tell me I should) for tellling the elders IMMEDIATELY after she found out. No, "I'm sorry you had to go through this." No nothing. Just "I called Brother Doan and they'll meet with you to talk about this". Stupid me thought they would act as counselors, especially since the one was like a father figure to me, and the father of a close friend.

To put it lightly, I would rather have been questioned by the police officers ten times instead of interrogated by the elders in that back room. I barely made it through explaining what happened, the questions of what color and type of underwear BOTH of us had on, the did you fight?, did you scream?, the threats to not go to the police or I'd be disfellowshipped, and then the silence when I told them I had already talked with the police.

All that and the man who had attacked me wasn't even a damn JW. They take "meddling in people's lives" and go way beyond anything acceptable.

I had grown up with a natural distrust of what I was taught, but it was the peer pressure, the threat of shunning that kept me in even if I didn't believe their crap. That day was the last time I attended a meeting, and it's been over seven years since I made it out. Not exactly the greatest situation to live through, but I am grateful I made it out alive and with my real life that I live now.

Thank you for bringing this to light again, so all those on the board who weren't familiar with it can learn. Especially for the newbies stumbling in here. Many have no idea this teaching is in affect, but that is because it is only used on the sly. The WTS catch the woman with their guard down, scared and feeling defenseless, all just so they can use their power.

Alicia

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

So what happens if you don't scream but you pray out loud to Jehovah?? Are you less faithful because you didn't scream?

saltiest: I agree...wishy washy is the word/s. Sounds like you had a hard time....sorry to hear that. Your experiences will also be useful for any newbies stumbling in here...good to see that!

Beck

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

saltiest

Thank you kindly for saying those few words about this organization. Closed organizations always nail the women and children. I am glad you are alive and I hope you have gotten some good therapy.

I'm still a little confused though. Could someone please answer my above question.

hawk

• flower
    flower

I'm confused..please help.

If I'm being raped in the forest while reading a 1980 Watchtower and I scream while a tree is falling did I enjoy it?

• ve9gra
    ve9gra

Sentinel posted :

Why can't JW's just listen to our own conscience?

Well that would mean that you are actually thinking on your own... Don't think the elders would like that...

And hawkaw: I can see it too.... Back in school they were always telling us not to use double negatives... well lets try this...

WT Way: "No. If you don't scream you won't be disfellowshipped"
    The non-double-negative way: "If you scream you will be disfellowshipped"
    Did they word it like that so that they had a loophole?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit