Serena Thanks Jehovah!

by Englishman 40 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

The fact that she said what she said causes more problems for the WTS. Like what do they do in the future with her? No way she will stick the WTS lifestyle.

ISP

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

I have to parrot the others who have mentioned how sick it is to hear ANY sport figure, rock star, rap artist, etc give praise to Allah, Jehovah, Jesus, etc. It reeks IMO, to think God would reach down and touch ones with an athletic gift, yet leave so many to die of disease and hunger
    And yet one can hardly blame those who can't quite be as certain as you as to how we should view these matters inasmuch as God himself has remained conspicuously silent on everything---matters both paramount and trivial---since the apostle John penned his last words. And even those were as clear as mud.

Personally, my days are over of getting too worked up over who's right and and who's wrong about God, what he's doing and what he's not doing, who he blesses and who he ignores. So much is necessarily left to conjecture in the absence of any recent definitives on his part that I am happy to let him sort it out in his own time, should that ever arrive. I spent too many years absolutely (and misguidedly) certain God didn't want me to credit or blame "luck"---good or bad--- for whatever befell our lives or to offer his blessings when one sneezed in my presence to be so irrevocably convinced of anything about him anymore, including that his attention is more toward the petitions of starving refugees than to recording artists and tennis pros. I got no proof either way and am not aware anyone else does.

Just my two. Obviously ymmv.

AMNESIAN

Edited by - AMNESIAN on 6 July 2002 18:19:38

Edited by - AMNESIAN on 6 July 2002 18:24:34

• Dawn
    Dawn

Whatever you may think of the Witness religion, you cannot deny that there would not be the level of misery and sheer wretchedness among those who choose to remain within its ranks were there more individuals who were willing to decide for themselves just where to draw the line on their consumption of the "food at the proper time" at the expense of a happy and fulfilling life.

I agree!

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

The fact that she said what she said causes more problems for the WTS. Like what do they do in the future with her? No way she will stick the WTS lifestyle.
    LOL! The one and only problem the sisters pose for "Jehovah's organization" is making sure they keep on hand sufficient deposit slips for the various corporate accounts over the next 10 or so years of their pro tennis careers.

That and possibly how to dissuade thousands of much less talented JW children who may insist on imitating their course.

AMNESIAN

• MarchOn
    MarchOn

Why is it so hard to believe God helps people win things?

He helped me win a mean game of Battle Ship last night. I know it was him because I prayed before we started the game. Pleaasssssssssssse God, let me win!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Hey Outlaw,

you saw the same thing I did - if one of the JW sisters wins because Jehovah is blessing her, then he must not be blessing the other! I'd like to see the conversation over the dinner table after she made THAT comment! LOL

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

...if one of the JW sisters wins because Jehovah is blessing her, then he must not be blessing the other! I'd like to see the conversation over the dinner table after she made THAT comment! LOL
    Oh please, that's too easy. Jehovah blessed Venus with two Wimbledon championships and now he's blessing Serena. I can see you people are way behind in your personal studying.

AMNESIAN

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Yup! She sure did!

TWICE, even!

I just happened to turn on the TV moments before the interview, and she DID say it again. Not quite as loudly, and kinda slurred......my Grandson was sitting on the couch next to me, and when she said it the second time, we both turned to each other to see if we had each heard it again, and before I said anything, he said---"Yeah, I heard that one too!"

Hugs,

Annie

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I remember some years back, Richard Williams predicting that his daughters would dominate women's tennis and that there would be an "All Williams Final". People scoffed then. Ha!

With the society's position on competition and sports, at least they did get a chance to develop their athletic skills. Especially because they are females. I understand (and I could be wrong) that Richard is NOT a JW. If that is so, then his family "headship" worked to his daughters advantage.

So, I am curious, how exactly are the Williams sisters viewed in the JW community? Their success has certainly not gone unnoticed by the rank, and The Big Boys in NY? Perhaps the girls are generous with their earnings? Being that between the two of them they won over a Mil. One can only speculate.

Andee

• Room 215
    Room 215

Not unlike the old joke about the classic Jewish quandary of ``free bacon,'' I'm sure the biggies at Bethel/Patterson are scratching their collective heads for something constructive to say abut this rather sticky situation. On the one hand they really need all the postive reinforcement they can muster, what with all the scandals breaking about; on the other hand, the Williams girls' lifestyle hardly conforms to the ideal Witnessette matrix, and would in no uncertain terms not be considered ``exemplary.''

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit