What Would I Have Done?

by Frenchy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

In reading the gospels about Jesus ministry I cannot help but be moved by his message and manner and I know I am not alone in feeling like this. I marvel, smile, and slowly shake my head as I read about the miracles that he performed and have, at one time or other, wished that I could have been there to witness those marvels and to hear his voice. Perhaps like many others I have also wondered at those people who heard him and yet walked away. What would I have done?

I think that we cannot fully realize just how radical Jesus teachings were to those people at that time and how hard that message hit them. He was Jew in a Jewish land speaking out against the religious system in which all Jews put their implicit trust. Jesus gave them new ways of looking at the Law. He condemned their religious leaders for their hypocrisy, their haughty and superior attitude, their rapacious appetite for power over their fellow man, and their lack of empathy for those under their charge. In short, he attacked the very fabric of their faith and it must have terrified a great many who heard him.

The religious leaders, who held considerable power and control over the common people, repeatedly condemned this brash young man for his unorthodox teachings and interpretations of the Law. They reviled him particularly for undermining the authority they had given themselves over their brothers. They warned those under their charge to have nothing to do with him. These were not empty threats for expulsion from the synagogue created a tremendous hardship on the victim. Those who chose to listen were putting a great deal in jeopardy. Those who followed risked everything.

Still people were drawn to this radical and defiant young man who seemed bent on a self-destructive course. The message Jesus preached was tantalizing, it was exciting, it was a message of liberation, it was a concept that few had dared to entertain given their seemingly inescapable enslavement to the poverty and ignorance into which they had been born. But to enter into that new mindset they would have to leave the shores of familiarity and brave the sea of uncertainty. They would have to break out of the imaginary bonds they had been convinced were sanctuary for them but were really prison bars that kept out the glorious concept of freedom which Jesus was offering.

It was a frightening thing for those who had for a lifetime pursued what they had been convinced was the one and only path to God and to step outside that prison in which they had willingly confined themselves in their ignorance of the true nature of their situation. Many, in fact most, lacked the courage and could not step across that mental threshold and sadly they remained in the relative comfort and false security of their prison of ignorance and fear. A few, like the American pioneers who left Missouri and braved the unknown frontier to the California, stepped out and put it all on the line. For them Jesus words: "And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" became a reality as they became sons of God.

What an exciting time that must have been! What a fearful time as well. What separated the two groups? Surely all must have had a measure of trepidation. Surely all must have met opposition when they went against the tide. Surely all must have questioned and doubted back and forth for a while. What is it that pushed that small group across the line that the majority could not ever bring themselves to cross? There are as many reasons as there were people back then. Each person constituted a unique situation for each was a unique personality with a unique set of circumstances.

I cant help but think about those days and those Israelites that lived contemporaneously with Jesus. I cant help but wonder what would have been my situation. If I were a Pharisee I would have believed that I was upholding the Law of God which had been handed down from generation to generation for fifteen centuries. How would I have viewed this Johnny-come-lately Nazarene who was being so irreverent of the sacred traditions I had so diligently studied and so scrupulously observed all my life? What pressures would have been brought to bear against me by my superiors? What if I were a commoner? What would have been my attitude then? Would I have surrendered to my fears or would I have seen that truth and would that truth have burned within me to where I was not able to deny it?

I wonder.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Excellent post.

Strangely enough, I think that if I was living then, I'd have followed Jesus because of his liberating, loving message. I really believe that Paul subsequently went too far with his own version of Christianity and that if he hadn't intervened then Jesus's message would have gotten through much better!

The version of Christianity we see today is (IMO) nothing like Jesus's real teachings.

The Watchtower needs to consider if they, like the pharisees are being too "stuck in their ways" to admit that they need to change.

Sirona

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Sooo, basically Jesus was a left wing protester. He protested the established system, the corruption of religion and government alike. I know pretty much for a fact if Jesus came back right now in the U.S. that he may not get crucified but he'd be put in jail.

gsx1138

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Excellent post, Frenchy. Jesus was the ultimate "apostate."

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    I really believe that Paul subsequently went too far with his own version of Christianity and that if he hadn't intervened then Jesus's message would have gotten through much better!

Excellent point, Sirona. I have asked myself just who was Paul that his teachings take precedence over Jesus' in the Bible many times.

What amazes me too, is that the Bible was compiled by the early Catholic Church. They catch more grief than anyone and yet, all follow the book they compiled and declared as truth. Is it possible that they are the ones who initially placed so much stock in Paul over Jesus?

Frenchy, well thought out post.

Lew W

• teejay
    teejay

When I was a hardcore, believing Dub and still in my teens I thought of this question. At the time, I was convinced that I would have dropped everything that I had going in my life and been a follower. Why would I think anything else? Hindsight is 20/20.

The actual and ugly truth is always harder to come by than some baseless hope that in certain situations I would have always done (or will always do) the right and noble thing. As I look back on it, I'm not sure *what* I would have done.

In your essay you covered many of the reservations people back then had about the man. He was an apostate; he spoke against a system that God had supported for millennia; he was young -- enough of a reason to ignore his brashness. Honorable and godly people could have easily viewed his words and acts as youthful presumption.

If someone came on the scene today and, in today's terms, spoke and acted as Jesus did then, how would you respond to them NOW? I'm pretty sure I know what I'd do...

• ISP
    ISP

Its a funny thing but so much of the official Jesus life was unknown to the first century writers. Paul never quotes JC's miracles, sayings, illustrations, parables or wise sayings. Neither do any of the other writers. The gospel accounts were compiled in the second century and I find it remarkable that if so much was done by Jesus in his life that so little/nothing was written about it at the time.

ISP

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Thank you, Frenchy, for an excellent and thought-provoking post.

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

Excellent post. You worded my thoughts exactly! I have thought on that very scenario many times; and each time I realize just how revolutionary Jesus was and how pioneering the first Christians ( er...apostates ) were.

• Zechariah
    Zechariah

I fail to understand the indictment being made that the gospel Paul preached was incompatible with that of Jesus Christ. The reality is that Pauls ministry was more in line with Christ new law of love over the Laws of Moses than any other writer of scripture in the New Testament. It is for certain that Pauls commission as apostle was under the direct inspiration of Christ himself. His selection was obviously because of his awareness and appreciation of the ability of Gentiles to be declared righteous by means of faith alone. For this he was made the apostle to the Gentiles.
    I am very curious to know what specifically the people making this indictment see as contradictory in Pauls message.

Zechariah
    GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit