The "mini-god" Elder syndrome...

by dustrabbit 18 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Let's not forget the GLORIOUS ONES (another name for "gods")

Jude 8 ***

In like manner, notwithstanding, these men, too, indulging in dreams, are defiling the flesh and disregarding lordship and speaking abusively of glorious ones.
    *** w98 6/1 16-17 "Put Up a Hard Fight for the Faith"! ***
    Another problem that Jude addresses is the lack of respect for divinely constituted authority. For instance, in verse 8 he charges the same wicked men with "speaking abusively of glorious ones." Who were these "glorious ones"? They were imperfect men, but they had responsibilities conferred upon them by Jehovahs holy spirit. For example, the congregations had elders, who were charged with shepherding the flock of God. (1 Peter 5:2) There were traveling overseers too, such as the apostle Paul. And the body of elders in Jerusalem acted as a governing body, making decisions affecting the Christian congregation as a whole. (Acts 15:6) Jude was deeply concerned that certain ones in the congregations were speaking abusively of, or blaspheming, such men.

Edited by - Blondie on 4 July 2002 13:45:53

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Bang: Yes, that's a question. Do you want it to be serious or silly?

tdogg: Hey now! Don't go punking on Clearfield, that's my job.
    Unless, you went there too at some in your life.

professor: LOL

farkel: Yes! LOL

Amazing: Amazing how just a little joke of mine causes people's heads to spin with intellectual thought. DAMN, I'M GOOD!

Well, in any case, then I better count myself GOD of exJWsRaw...

the dustrabbit

• mommy1
    mommy1

While I was growing up My Dad would always threatening to call the Elders if we didn't behave. I was so afraid of the elders as a kid, My Dad thought the elders were "mini-gods".

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Yikes, mommy1, that's worse than the ol', "wait until your father gets home" routine my mom used on me all the time.

• minimus
    minimus

I don't think mini-god is the term most elders would use for themselves but most elders do feel they are special.They now believe they represent the royal priesthood. They believe they are deserving of everybody's respect. They believe you should not challenge their authority.They believe they inspire trust and that they have God's approval.They even believe they are humble.

• blondie
    blondie

An elder told me that in a recent meeting with the elders the CO told them that they "were special" and above the others in the congregation, "the mighty men." It disgusted him to say the least. Who else is still an elder and was told something similar by the CO.

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Blondie:

Hmm, I remember that the elders in my congregation used to make it a point to tell the cong that they (the elders) was equal to everyone else, just extra responsiblities. But some of them sure seemed power hungry or egotistical when they weren't giving a talk or in the presence of the CO.

the dustrabbit

• myself
    myself

It's funny that they have said the other religions are wrong for having titles - giving the impression of self-importance. The dubs have about just as many titles.

• blondie
    blondie

dustrabbit, this comment was made privately to the elders by the CO in an elders meeting. It was not expected to be repeated to the R&F. I expect the elders do "say" that they are just like everyone else but privately say "we are the mighty men."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit