The "mini-god" Elder syndrome...

by dustrabbit 18 Replies latest jw friends

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Professor: Since you stated in another thread that your dad sees himself as a "mini-god", it got me wondering.

Does Jehovah, if he actually exists, views the GB/the Elders and other religious leaders along with Jesus as "Mini-Me"s, as in the "Austin Powers" characters?

And if so, what does this say about god/jehovah?

the dustrabbit

Edited by - dustrabbit on 4 July 2002 7:47:42

• Bang
    Bang

That's a very disturbing view of God. I take it you used to be jw.

Bang

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Bang: Very perceptive of you...what gave it away?

Actually, I was never baptized...thank god! (I'm being very ironic here)...but I was raised "in the troof" from the ages of 4 until 18...but I finally cut all ties with my JW past when i was 19 and left my family's house and went off to Job Corps in freakin' Utah...the first of my two "favorite mistakes".

the dustrabbit

• Bang
    Bang

what gave it away?

Is that a serious question?

Bang

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Does Jehovah, if he actually exists, views the GB/the Elders and other religious leaders along with Jesus as "Mini-Me"s, as in the "Austin Powers" characters?

Dustrabbit,

I have looked at this Bishop, deacon, appointment thing that Paul started to stop the growing influence that Christian Jews had over the faith back then and cannot see anywhere where it was intended to continue beyond Paul's death. Peter did not do any of this and a vote to make this a permenent part of the faith was never taken. It all looks like a temporary measure implemented at the time. Laying on of hands was essintial to the making of such appointments and the authority for this could only come from the Apostle himself. The power for anyone to do such things could not be passed down beyond someone Paul personally appointed, so such Bishops and deacons can no longer exist as legitimate biblical positions today. We may recognize someone as knowledgeable and use them to help guide others, but not in the form of an official office the way Paul did back then.

Joseph

• Amazing
    Amazing

Dustrabbit: You are far more correct than you realize. Many years ago, maybe I should day decades, the Watchtower Society took the step of trying to disprove the Trinity (bare with me ) and in so doing found the term "god" applied in the Hebrew scriptures to cheiftains (elders) in Israel ... they came up with the idea of "relative godship" ... and Jesus, as discussed in John 1:1, became "a god" relatively speaking ... and since then, the JW Elders have been elevated to "Princes" in all the earth, and the heads of state in the New System, and in a sense, though not strongly stated yet, they are "gods" to JWs ... in a relative sense.

Edited by - Amazing on 4 July 2002 9:55:18

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Does Jehovah, if he actually exists, views the GB/the Elders and other religious leaders along with Jesus as "Mini-Me"s, as in the "Austin Powers" characters?

Jehovah: "thou shalt have no other Gods before me."

Watchtwer Leaders: "thou shalt have no other Gods before me."

Jehovah: "Brooklyn: we have a problem."

Farkel

• ItsJustlittleoldme
  • professor
    professor

and since then, the JW Elders have been elevated to "Princes" in all the earth, and the heads of state in the New System, and in a sense

That makes my dad the Fresh Prince of Hot Air.

• tdogg
    tdogg

Now I understand why Drabbit is so strange. You spend enough time in Clearfield and you get that way. That is a very cheery facility up there, and nice kids too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit