Volunteer Work is Never Encouraged

by Mary 24 Replies latest jw friends

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Watchtower takes the anti-charity issue one step farther:

WT 10/1/86

<In fact, even though pity for the people prompted Jesus to care for them in a physical way, his chief interest was in offering them the spiritual help their religious leaders had failed to provide. (See Matthew, chapter 23.) Jesus was "the fine shepherd," one willing to surrender "his soul in behalf of the sheep." (John 10:11) Because he gave this preaching activitynot engaging in social work or building hospitals or running relief agenciestop priority in life, he was later able to tell Pilate: "For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth."John 18:37.

Although Jesus bestowed upon his apostles the ability to perform miraculous good works of healing, he made no mention of this when issuing his final instructions to them before ascending into heaven. Instead, he commanded: "Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you." Obviously, then, the more important work was to "make disciples . . . baptizing them . . . teaching them."Matthew 28:19, 20.>

• justhuman
    justhuman

The Watchtower never cares about helping people, they only care about making new members. And when they must show charity works, they do it like a show for the media so that a newspaper writes an article for them to show it to the rank and file how good are JW by helping others in a time of disaster.

Watchtower has millions of dollars but never opened a hospital for the poor or a place for the old people for nurcing to stay. Not even for their own members.

In the Bible in James we read that pure worship is helpimg orphans widows and poor ones. But it seems that Watchtower has nothing to do with pure worship. IF they really believe what they are preaching they wouldn't spent millions on buildings to show off, just like the Stanley Theatre in N.Y. were they have roofs with stars and clouds moving around, and luxury everywere.

Will JESUS come to a place like that and give a talk...

• Sirona
    Sirona

Dungbeetle, really good point! in that 1986 watchtower they totally miss the point of Jesus being here. Basically they say that he instructed to make disciples, nothing more. They forget that Jesus provided an EXAMPLE for them for their lives. Jesus welcomed all, he helped people in a PRACTICAL way, he showed love to average people, sharing meals with them and generally being a big part of the community. He gave out food to those who were hungry. If Jesus had gone round preaching but had never shown love or practical help, he'd have never been followed by the masses.

Sirona

• Mary
    Mary

The Society's reasoning on their refusal to do charity work is utterly nauseating...........they came up with some more
    crap last year that said something like 'even though Jesus fed the hungry, He always preached to the first'.........What a bunch of bullshit!!! Like others have mentioned here, if Jesus only preached to everyone (telling them that they were never good enough), and didn't feed the hungry, heal the lame, cure the sick or raise the dead, then NO ONE would have ever followed him.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

I WTS does not encourage volunteering outsode of the org. I myself volunteer outside the org, I can pick and choose to work around my work schedule and meetings/FS committments. Some know I volunteer but I do not make it known unless they ask. Personally I feel a sense of giving back and grateful my husband does not give me grief over it. He personally does not see a problem with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit