Volunteer Work is Never Encouraged

by Mary 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I always find it so annoying whenever there's a WT study on the Good Samaritan. No one at the Hall EVER suggests that the idea behind it, is that we should be helping our "enemies" in a CHARITABLE way, such as feeding them, clothing them, helping them out in a physcial way.....nope they always turn it around to where it only means we should be PREACHING to our enemies, cause Lord only knows, actually helping someone out in a charitable way means less than nothing in the Organization.

Anyhoo, the last time we had an article on that (couple of years ago), I specifically put up my hand and said "this is NOT talking about preaching to our enemies. The Samaritan did not preach to the Jew nor vise versa. The illustration is about helping people out in a CHARITABLE way, whether they need food, clothing, shelter, or simply someone to talk to, just as JESUS did: he fed people when they were hungry, He healed the sick, expelled demons, and had a kind word for the average Jew who was always being told by their leaders "you're not good enough".

The silence that followed my comment was deafening. Someone quickly went on to say, 'yes, we should always help OUR BROTHERS out if they need food, or clothing etc.......' totally turning the point around. I put up my hand again to state once again that this is not talking about helping our brothers, but our 'enemies', alas, I was ignored.

If this Organization would encourage the R&F Witness to go do charity work, such as volunteering at soup kitchens, retirement homes, womens shelters, or even volunteering at Habitat for Humanity, they'd be doing something worth while. I think it's pathetic that a pioneer can "count time" by picking vegetables at Bethel, but REAL charity work counts for nothing at all........I make up a big pot of soup to take to the local Soup Kitchen every Tuesday, and I feel much better about doing that then what I ever did going out banging on peoples' doors, trying to sell the W&A.............

Does anyone know what the "official" rules are at Brooklyn with regards to volunteer work?

• Sirona
    Sirona

I agree, completely. There just isn't the love in the JW organisation that they claim to have.

I've seen more loving acts by those in other faiths, most definately. My mum who is a JW does do some to help out the elderly - but that is because of the type of person she's always been. Plus, she never gets involved in something that she'd be expected to do on a regular basis. She is definately a rare one amongst her JW friends.

I've actually heard volunteer groups critisised by the JWs - sort of a "oh they'll never solve the worlds problems - what they're doing is so small in comparison to what needs doing"....but they fail to realise that volunteer workers DO make a difference. If we all sat on our asses like JWs then the world would be a much worse place.

Sirona

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Mary...you are soo right on. I used to ask the holy elders all the time about the very same thing...and I usually got some lame answer like..."their'll never be an end to the suffering until the Kingdom and we are giving them something better than food...the Truth." Yeah, tell the Truth to some poor kid with a bloated stomach, covered with flys who's lost all his family in a famine. The F*****G morons are cruel and too stupid to realize it because they swallow everything that comes down from Mother. I remember one time at an assembly where they were bragging about some country that was hit by a devastating earthquake and how they sent in loaded Watchtower trucks with food and clothing for the "brothers and sisters"...then added that there was even enough for the other people. I conjured up this image of third-world folks walking around in a daze wearing bad-fitting plaid sport coats and eating old pudding cups. I have a plan that I cannot devulge here that would entrap them in their own selfishness and really show the world how they are...a perfect TV event. I'm working on it.

-BONEZZ

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Mary:
    I always chalked the apathy towards volunteer work up to one thing: jealousy. The WTS and their Jehovah are like some spouses -- they get jealous easily when you spend time with somebody else, even if it doesn't take from one's marriage.....

my .02 cents.

the dustrabbit

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I think volunteer work is discouraged because it takes away time that witnesses could be spending in field service recruiting others to join them in the door to door work and thus giving the organization its growth. With that growth in numbers comes growth in contributions, so they really can't afford to have their members going around helping others. Its too costly for them.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

the mentality is that this system of things is going to end, so why bother? plus:

think of all the people and agencies who could be helped: abused children, homeless people, preemies, terminally or critically ill children, big brothers, big sisters.. i think they don't want the flock to actually start caring about any of these 'worldly people'. my sister works in a children's hospital and told me about drowning victims who come in, the bereaved parents etc. with an odd sense of detachment. she just--doesn't--give--a--crap. because they are not jehovah's witnesses.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

WT 8/1/75

I found ONE reference for volunteer work NOT associated with Kingdom Hall/Convention:

What do you do for others? What can you do? You can take an interest in them. You can offer an encouraging word, a compliment. You can make a sincere inquiry regarding how they are, or volunteer to run errands for neighbors. There are really many things you can do. But it requires thought, a taking of genuine interest in others. However, if we grasp opportunities to show love we will begin to see the truth of Jesus words: "There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving."Acts 20:35.

This was from a Watchtower, I forget which one. Now this is from 40 years of Watchtowers and thirty years of Awake and 30 years of KM's.

Shame shame.

• proandcon
    proandcon

Mary...good post...some years ago...a CO named Murphy said..." helping (volunteering) some organization or cause in this 'system of things' was like putting a band aid on a cancer patient"!!

I was very new then - back in 1985 - and a real "society man'...but even this made me think...it's a pretty slim and sick view about the WT position and how they easily take from the same system they otherwise suppossedly shun...

Just last night in the service meeting ( I listened in with my wife on a tie line - I am inactive) there was the last part about helping others. The first paragraph referencesd Jesus holding his hand out to cure a sick non believer because he "wanted too"...the entire rest of the article and all the audience comments was slanted towards only helping the brothers and your family...this was totally opposite the message Jesus related in just the first paragraph...this is sick !...I can't believe how narrow and closed minded these people are...NO ONE thinks !!!

Glad you are volunteering and getting a good measure of satisfaction from it...helping people is truly a loving gesture...and so self rewarding...

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

What can you do? You can take an interest in them. You can offer an encouraging word, a compliment. You can make a sincere inquiry regarding how they are, or volunteer to run errands for neighbors. There are really many things you can do.

translation: sniff around for potential recruits, who are already vulnerable. give them 'comfort' and, when they are at their weakest point, zoom in for the kill and invite them to the kingdom hall.

happened to us. right after my dad died. that's how it all started. they just happened to show up one day, when my mom was a basket case. i sometimes think they actually peruse the obituaries, looking for emotionally needy people...

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

incense:
    it's ironic, no? if there ever a time the JWs needed help from those organizations, they would take it, I'm sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit