Two file sex abuse suit against Jehovah's Witnesse

by TexSham 27 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• TexSham
    TexSham

I looked and didn't see this posted, so here goes:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/3588212.htm

Posted on Tue, Jul. 02, 2002
    Two file sex abuse suit against Jehovah's Witnesses congregation BY STEPHEN SCOTT
    Religion Editor
    Two women filed a civil suit Tuesday alleging they were sexually abused as young girls by a fellow member of a Jehovah's Witnesses congregation in Annandale, Minn.

The women, both now 22 and living in the Twin Cities, say the religion's very tenets make it virtually impossible for victims to come forward, because at least two witnesses are required to corroborate any act of wrongdoing.

After these incidents, said the plaintiffs attorney, Jeffrey Anderson of St. Paul, these women went to the elders, and they were told, 'We dont really believe you, because we require two witnesses to this for it to have happened, and if there aren't two, you are giving false testimony.'

At issue is Jehovah's Witnesses understanding of the Bible, specifically Deuteronomy 19:15, which says a single witness shall not suffice in convicting a person of a crime or wrongdoing.

Although Jehovahs Witnesses do not interpret every passage of the Bible literally, they base their beliefs solely on principles found in the Bible.

If the accused denies the charges and there are no others who can substantiate them, the elders cannot take action within the congregation at that time, says the groups official statement called Jehovahs Witnesses and Child Protection.

Both plaintiffs allege that while they were between 10 and 12 years old, they were fondled by a male member of the congregation who was eight years older.

Named as defendants are Derek Lindala, 30, of South Haven, Minn., who is alleged to have fondled the girls on separate occasions either in his family home or while on church-related activities; the Annandale congregation; and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, which is the Jehovah's Witnesses incorporated headquarters.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Great catch! Thanks for posting it.

• Gopher
    Gopher

This suit hits the local JW's where it hurts.

The Lindalas are a well-known extended family among JW's in central Minnesota.

Gopher

• imissthedub
    imissthedub

We must have been posting at the same time.....ty for filling in the details I missed.

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

Hmmm, appears that the 'snowball' is picking up momentum!!!

I hope the two women are mentally ok now, and the scars from their past haven't effected them too badly. And I hope that the WT wakes up and realizes a few things (most likely reluctantly as they hand over money to APOSTATES <G>)

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Actually for all living in Minnesota you might want to tune into channel 5 -- KSTP, they are covering this on their news.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.kstp.com/article/view/23942/

It's on the KSTP website. Text of story:

-------------
    Minnesota women file lawsuit against Jehovah's Witnesses
    Publishing date: 07-02-2002 3:26 PM
    By ASHLEY H. GRANT
    Associated Press Writer
    ST. PAUL (AP) - Two Minnesota women who say they were sexually abused by a Jehovah's Witness filed a lawsuit Tuesday against him, their congregation and the church's parent organization in New York.

The lawsuit, filed in Wright County District Court just west of the Twin Cities, seeks damages of more than $50,000. Three local congregation leaders are cited by name in the lawsuit, but are not defendants.

Heidi Meyer, 22, of Minneapolis, claims in the filing that Derek Lindala, a member of the Annandale, Minn., congregation molested her when she was between the ages of 11 and 13. The other alleged victim, who has chosen to remain anonymous and filed as "Jane Doe," also 22, claims Lindala molested her in or about 1990.

Both women say they told congregation elders about the alleged abuse, but were told to remain silent. Police were never notified.

Lindala did not immediately return a phone message requesting comment. No one answered a phone call seeking comment at the Annandale church. Officials at the parent organization, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in New York, said they had no immediate comment.

"I was molested repeatedly throughout a two-year period," Meyer said. But she said the elders determined she "misinterpreted" Lindala's conduct.

She said church officials told her that because there weren't two eyewitnesses to the alleged abuse, any comments she made about it could be seen as slander or gossip, and that she could be excommunicated from the church.

Doe told a similar story. She said Lindala molested her only once, when she spent the night at his family's home when she spent the night with one of his sisters. She also said the elders dismissed her claims, even accusing her of dressing provocatively.

Lindala is eight years older than the two women. He is still an active member of the church, they said, but neither of the women are anymore.

Meyer said she hadn't told her parents before filing the lawsuit. She said she planned to tell them later Tuesday.

"I expect it to be a very hurt, very betrayed reaction," she said.

Also speaking at the news conference was William Bowen, a Jehovah's Witness and former elder from Draffenville, Ky., who runs a self-help group with a Web site for people molested by Jehovah's Witnesses. Bowen said he's been contacted by over 5,000 victims who want to get help or speak out.

"Many of these victims live in absolute terror," he said.

According to the lawsuit, Jehovah's Witnesses try to keep all matters internal. But Bowen said the elders are not equipped to deal with matters such as sexual abuse of children.

The attorney for the women, Jeff Anderson, of St. Paul, said he has received calls from about 100 people claiming they were abused by Jehovah's Witnesses. While this lawsuit seeks damages only for Meyer and Doe, he said the reason for the lawsuit is bigger. He wants the church to change the way it handles such cases.

"It exposes them," Anderson said.
    A handful of other sexual abuse lawsuits against Jehovah's Witnesses are pending across the country, including in Washington State and New Hampshire.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 2 July 2002 19:46:44

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Thanks for posting that Nathan, i was at work and missed the news...

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I think the Watchtower's Pandora box has been opened!

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

story also in the star tribune

http://startribune.com/stories/462/3033760.html

and was on the fox news at 9

i'll watch the 10 news too.

well i'm going to a family reunion saturday, none of my extended family are witnesses, i hope someone has the balls to bring this up in front or directly to my mom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit