CANADA DAY vs. INDEPENDENCE DAY!

by Mary 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

"........my girlfriend is from canada, and shes been living here (indiana) for the last year. she has said basically the same thing as mary is saying here, that canada day pretty much sucks......"

Thanks Dubla for your comments I appreciate it - I didn't mean to start a "Canada vs. U.S.A" debate here, but without a doubt, Americans will be celebrating their Independence Day full-force this year and I say 'power to em'............here's an interesting side-point: After September 11th, guess what the two biggest movie rentals were for weeks afterwards both in Canada and the States? Independence Day, and Armageddon.........

• Mary
    Mary

Mimilly;

"........What I take offense to is that you would think a 'song' from USA would bug a Canadian, regardless of what the celebration was......"

Oh for heavens sake, quit taking offense where there was none intended! Look at it in the reverse way: You're an American, driving down the road on July 4th, playing a tape in your car. At the most inappropriate moment possible (lots of people standing there, waiting for the celebrations to start) and a patriotic song from another country starts playing - of course that's going to bother some people............. It's like being in your car and you're right behind a police cruiser and your horn gets stuck - it's horribly ironic that it had to happen at that moment..........that's ALL I meant by it.

• dubla
    dubla

mimily-

Yes, by all means, wave your flags, and enjoy your 4th of July! I applaud it! Quit comparing countries.

i wasnt comparing countries, in case you were aiming this comment at me in any way. re-read my post, and youll see the only person i said "compared" anything was my girlfriend, who lived in canada for 23 years! i personally have NO IDEA what canada day is like.....it could be a free-for-all patriotic celebration for the ages for all i know......i can only go by her personal experience with the NUMEROUS canada day celebrations shes watched through the years. personally i could care less how "our" celebration compares to "your" celebration.....i just know what ive heard from her, thats it.

and for either of you to claim that ALL our Canada Day celebrations 'suck', is quite narrowminded of you.

again, youll have to take that up with her (her forum handle is "moodyblue"). maybe they just had boring celebrations in calgary, how should i know? im just relaying ONE persons opinion of canada day, a person that lived there for 23 years. i never said anything about "ALL...Canada Day celebrations" as you so insinuated.

Both countries are great, and this world does not need your type of comparisons. We all bleed the same color blood.

again, i wasnt comparing canada and the u.s. as countries, i was merely sharing an opinion (my girlfriends) that happened to coincide with the original post on this thread. i love canada personally, and i see no reason why one celebration vs. another would say anything about the actual countries (comparisons, whos better, whatever)......its a freaking holiday, get over it. its not about canada vs. america.....so maybe we have bigger celebrations in general during the first week of july, maybe we dont......who cares?

the main thing i was getting accross in my post was that yes indeed the 4th of july will be celebrated more this year than past (more meaning more people wearing the colors, waving the flags, etc.), BECAUSE of sep 11th, which you insinuated was wrong with this statement:

Secondly, saying that you don't blame the Americans for going all out on July 4th due to 9/11 is very narrow minded of you.

its true, americans will go all out, due to 9-11, which my first post was addressing by basically saying.....whats wrong with that?

aa

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I, personally, have ALWAYS loved the 4th of July. Even when I was a JW kid, because my Mom (who hated being a JW) would allow me to celebrate with the neighborhood kids. Lots of fireworks and sparklers. Though now, sparklers are outlawed here.

I love Canadians! Nice people, overall. I'm disappointed that some bad mouth us. The area that I live in literally doubles in size every winter because of the influx of Canadian snowbirds escaping those harsh winters. I believe that Americans and Canadians have much more in common than differences. Though, I know that they can get a bit sensitive when compared to Americans and feel overlooked by the rest of the world.

Andee

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Mary we are one nation the north american continent, Canada celebrates the 1st of July and our neighbours the4th, ju st get a grip, okay. We live for each other and we could perhaps die for each other any day any time. September 11th drew us closer as two great nations and the world has seen our countries pull together as one. We have much to br proud of. And to be trival about the way a person looks at you for a song your playing , you just seem to me to be a little self centered. Take a look at our countries and count your blessing. God bless us all and our nations!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit