CANADA DAY vs. INDEPENDENCE DAY!

by Mary 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I was coming home this evening from some ex-Witness friends of mine (after part-y-ing), and I had the windows on my car down, playing one of Elvis' tapes..........I was stopped at the stop light and I noticed several people sitting on the street giving me dirty looks and I couldn't figure out why at first.......then it dawned on me: they were waiting to see the Canada Day parade and I was playing "Dixie" on my car CD.........(hehehehehehehehe........) I guess not a smart thing to do.......

The parade sucked dead rocks and I was just wondering if it was only in my locale, or if other Canadians also experienced a crap-o-rama parade.........seeing as this is the first July 4th party since 9-11, I assume that Americans will be going all-out in their display of patriotism (I can't blame em) and I wanted to see what others had to say about their country's celebration.......hell up here, all the stores, malls, EVERYTHING closes up like a ghost town - NOTHING'S open on Canada Day............

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Mary - I don't know you, and don't know where you're from, but your post irked me incredibly.

First, you assume that people were giving you dirty looks. Then you assume that it's because of the song you're playing. Did it ever occur to you that 'maybe' the volume on your stereo was too loud? Or, that, 'gasp', it had nothing to do with you?!

Secondly, saying that you don't blame the Americans for going all out on July 4th due to 9/11 is very narrow minded of you. Were there ONLY Americans in those two towers? NO. Were ONLY Americans affected by 9/11? NO. Our firefighters and police and volunteers went to NYC. We took care of thousands of stranded passengers here, Americans included.

For you to compare two country's celebrations (Canada's being 'crap-o-rama' - vs America's going all out) is downright petty of you. To bring 9/11 into it shows your low level of intelligence.

Or wait! Should all Canadians use a year's worth of taxes to throw 'Mary' a party she'll approve of? Sarcasm? Damn Straight!!!!

Whatever you're part y ing with has obviously wasted some of your brain cells. It's time for you to start looking at the bigger picture and cease with the comparisons. Both are great countrys with the right to express patriotism. Your 'assumptions' and lack of observations and openmindedness does neither country justice.

The whole world was affected by 9/11 and continues to be. If you can't comprehend that then it's past your bed time lil girl - and before you brush your teeth, be sure to take both feet out of your mouth first.

Nuff said.

Mimilly

Edited by - Mimilly on 1 July 2002 22:59:30

• outnfree
    outnfree

Mary,

In southeast Michigan, it's not Canada Day vs. Independence Day, but the FREEDOM FESTIVAL, celebrates BOTH due to our close proximity along the Detroit River! I'm married to a Canadian and my son is born in Canada, so it's quite nice for us to be living near Detroit/Windsor. We can celebrate both nations and also only have a short drive to get some Chalet Suisse, President's Choice cookies, Smarties and honey garlic spare ribs when we're homesick for Canada!

I'm sorry your particular parade "sucked dead rocks" -- the quality of parades varies with locale here in the States, too. The Freedom Festival is kicked off with spectacular fireworks, and then there's music and ethnic foods downtown and picnics on Belle Isle. I remember some good fireworks in Caledon (Ontario), but it's been almost 9 years since we left your wonderful country.

(sigh)

outnfree

• Flip
    Flip
    I was playing "Dixie" on my car CD.........

You were playing "Dixie" on your car CD?!

Typical behavior of those associated with Jehovah's Witnesses is tending to ridicule the world that many strive to improve.

So as not to fall into that trap, perhaps one could volunteer for next years parade and try to make it better.

Otherwise it might be best one returns to selling for the Watchtower Corporation. By doing so, at least, one can stay out of the way of every one else actually trying to make a difference.

Flip

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Mary - I'm sorry for being really miffed by your post. I have a trigger finger when it comes to assumptions and comparisons. I don't regret what I said about 9/11 because it does affect the whole world.

I too am sorry that the parade in your area sucked. Some of them do out of lack of funds, and as out said, even in the States. Canadians have their concerts and parties on the hills and pubs and kitchen parties. Hopefully next year you will find one. Come on east and I'll throw you one. Really. No sarcasm there.

I want the USA to celebrate in safety. I worry daily. That's why I don't like comparisons. People need to see the good in each other and not divide. We need to be there for each other.

hope you accept my apology - and hugs,

Mimilly (i noticed your email is locked, feel free to email me if you'd like)

Edited by - Mimilly on 1 July 2002 23:51:48

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I would have to agree with Mimmily's comments.

Yes it does suck sometimes when stores are closed on Canada Day and other long weekends, but if everyone still had to work on holidays we would not have them. Tip: Buy enough beer the day before so you don't run out on the holidays

Path

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

This year's 4th of July celebration will be a bit quieter than usual for us. The 4th of July was the first holiday that our family celebrated so it has always been special to us. We live out in the country so we usually throw a big party and invite several friends. My husband buys way too many fireworks and the guests bring some too. Of course every single one has to be shot off, so we sit for hours watching the display.

This year has been very challenging financially and we just don't have the funds to host a party. We decided to just spend the day together as a family. Our little town had a celebration and parade on Saturday and we went to that and watched the fireworks.

Think I'll rent "The Patriot", it seems fitting to watch about now, and I love Mel Gibson.

Sadie

• Mary
    Mary

Mimilly & Flip;

I was not assuming that people were giving me dirty looks - they were. You missed the entire point of my email. I did not intentionally start playing "Dixie" in front of a crowd of Canadians - like I said I had put in a tape of Elvis' and that happened to be the song playing when I pulled up to the stop light. Not putting two and two together, I (literally) couldn't figure out why I was getting these bizarre looks, because NO, I was not playing it loud. It took a few minutes to realize it was because I was inadvertently playing a very "patriotic" song from another country on Canada Day. What are the chances that that particular song would come on at that particular moment and it struck me as funny.

This was not a slam against other nations, because of course 9/11 affected everyone, but I hate to point out the obvious that this happened on American soil, and since this is the first July 4th since the attack, I'm sure Americans will be going all as a reminder of their freedom.

• dubla
    dubla

hmm, interesting thread. my girlfriend is from canada, and shes been living here (indiana) for the last year. she has said basically the same thing as mary is saying here, that canada day pretty much sucks. she said its an excuse for the younger crowd to drink, etc, but not even close to the independence day celebrations shes heard of us having here in the u.s. this will be her first fourth of july here, and shes actually really looking forward to it. being here on september 11th (and living here now) shes admitted feeling patriotism for the u.s. in addition to her canadian loyalties (the canadian posters will probably lynch her now). along those lines though, i have to agree with mary on this sep 11th topic. i can see where it offended mimily, but it really is the truth. you cant tell me there wont be ten times as many flag waving americans out this fourth than last.....there will be. there will be more fireworks, more anthems, more painted faces, etc, etc. but so what? is that a bad thing? 9-11 has undoubtedly brought americans closer to each other, and gave a whole new generation of people a greater sense of patriotism....whats wrong with that mimily? of course 9-11 affected many countries, not just the u.s. but the fact is we were attacked on our soil, and they attacked the city that sybolizes our free nation, ny. if you need proof of the fact that there is a MUCH greater sense of patriotism in this country since 9-11, just turn on ANY sporting event and watch the national anthem. chances are youll see more (read: 100 fold) flags and red/white/& blue then youve ever seen in years past. during the last nfl season, you had numerous players leading their teams out on the field by waving giant flags, and theres now a flag patch on most professional sports jerseys, not to mention the new flag symbols on the fields/courts/ice/etc. again, why is this a bad thing? maybe it shouldnt have taken a tragedy like september 11th to cause such a patriotic fire to burn in so many more americans, but it did, plain and simple......and this years fourth of july will no doubt be one of the biggest weve had.

aa

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Mary, I take my apology back. I was right the first time. As for patriotism, there is nothing wrong with it. What I take offense to is that you would think a 'song' from USA would bug a Canadian, regardless of what the celebration was.

Yes, it happened on American soil. That doesn't change the FACT that more than just Americans died and lost family members or were affected. Sometimes I think that American patriotism blinds ppl to the fact that other countries and ways exist.

Yes, by all means, wave your flags, and enjoy your 4th of July! I applaud it! Quit comparing countries. Canada is a huge country, and for either of you to claim that ALL our Canada Day celebrations 'suck', is quite narrowminded of you.

Dubla, if your girlfriend feels patriotic for the states - that's super. I also feel patriotic for the USA AND Canada. Both countries are great, and this world does not need your type of comparisons. We all bleed the same color blood.

Get over yourselves.

Mimilly

Edited by - Mimilly on 2 July 2002 11:3:33

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit