I was pondering...again.....

by VioletAnai 17 Replies latest jw friends

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

Thank you for that perspective Five Shadows...very much appreciated. I'll think about your points, seems clearer than how it was explained to me, maybe I just took it the wrong way?

But, it would seem, all the questions in my head are unanswerable and I'm told to wait patiently and see what happens. At least coming here, I can gather many different angles on the subject.

Why don't they have BIBLE studies anymore? You know, where you pick a scripture, then as a group discuss its meaning....as a congregation. I was under the impression that that was what the Bible Students used to do....oh, hang on, they were annointed.....oh, no, actually, there were some others who didn't know what their hope was and they still participated in the discussions didn't they?

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Hi Vi, Basically you seem to be seeing the whole stupid silliness for what it is. One thing - Adam and Eve were newbies right? No life experiences to call upon, no books or teachers or friends to give them advice - they were completely new human beings and very naive. They are hardly going to be surprised that a snake speaks to them. What do they know of the world? But also how can brand new people be expected to make good decisions when they know so little about anything? And what kind of amazing, all powerful God, puts his much loved creation in such a position? And then punishes all of mankind for the rest of time (until he feels ready to step in) because they fail his silly little test? This whole thing of soverenty is demented. Unless God is an escaped lunatic or meglamanic!!! Now that might make sense of it...............

Marilyn

• 13th_apostate
    13th_apostate

I agree. apparently even though adam and eve were perfect, they were a) stupid because all though they had conversations with god, they had not yet eaten from the tree of good and evil and did not understand such things and b) mortal because they had not eaten from the tree of life. pretty harsh punishment that they received for their mistake.

about the nephilem: I dont have a bible handy, but I always thought the scripture read that the nephilem were the OFFSPRING of the fallen angels and the daughters of men, not the actual angels themselves.

I haven't read a bible in a long time, but someone please explain to me who "Jah-Eshua" is.

will, a little confused at work

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you....yes the Nephilim were the children of the angels......

Marilyn: yes it seems very silly, very cruel and heartless to me too. And a loving God wouldn't do this you'd think. I mean if we can discern that that was a horrible punishment for such a little act.....but maybe it's becos we disobeyed first (well after satan anyways) and therefore had to be the example.......the weakest in the universe......picked on! Dammitt!

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

<Hi Vi, Basically you seem to be seeing the whole stupid silliness for what it is. >

I wouldn't count on it.

• raven101
    raven101

Dear Violet,

You ask:

Am I really brainwashed from childhood, even tho I broke away for a few years and viewed them independantly

I can only answer you from my own experience, I too was raised as a witness and 'broke away' and analyzed the religion with what I believed to be unbiased eyes . . . problem was they were far from unbiased.

I thought I was doing well just reading the bible and trying to disprove the witnesses teachings, I was under the impression that this was an effective method. The conclusion I came to at that time was that their interpretation made more sense than other interpretations, the problem was my method STARTED from an undeniably biased assumption . . . the assumption that the 'truth' was in the bible to start with!!

A sincere search for truth can only start with no assumptions whatsoever, THATS the truth.

The only thing to prevent us from a sincere search is fear.

If we had been born in a muslim country our faith would be just as strong, and no less or more biased. We might struggle with the choice between a traditional interpretation vs. a more lenient one but in all probability that would be the limit of our search. The failure to search outside the basic belief system is rooted in a deep seated, long standing, and unquestioned assumption, and the fear of questioning something which we have been taught is unquestionable.

Fear of offending some all-powerful vengeful god. Fear of facing the trials and tribulations of our lives alone . . . fear of damnation. Few stop to realize that fear itself is damnation.

There is a scripture thats says something to the effect that god does not cause division, that satan does.. Violet, what does organized religion bring . . . worldwide division . . . or unity?

To really search for the truth one can start with NO ASSUMPTIONS WHATSOEVER, the search for truth is impossible when fear is present. Don't start searching with the assumption that this truth is, or is not, in any book or organization whatsoever.

raven101

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

May you all have peace! I apologize greatly for my delay in responding however as you probably have seen San Antonio's been hit with a really bad T storm. So i was unable to respond seeing how my only way to access the internet is the library right now since i just moved down here. Anyhow...hope you can understand:

The Nephilim were the angels that had fallen. In Gen 6:1-4 it says "they proved to be in the Earth ...and also after THATwhen the sons of the True God continued to have relations with the daughters of men and they bore sons to them, they were the mighty ones who were of old, the men of fame" Nephilim comes from the word Han-Nephi-lim' which translated means "The Fellers" or "Those who cause others to fall down." Now unborn children cannot cause the sons of God to rebel and fall down. I encourage everyone to read the account again to gain a full understanding of it. Jah-Eshua is the name of the Son of God. Jah-Eshua is Hebrew as Jah-Saves. That is what it means; the name "Jesus" no where does it appear in the original dialogue. Nor Does "Jehovah." The Watchtower bible and track society has made this clear in their bibles before the 1950 ...where it states that Jehovah is only used beacue of people's firmilarity with the name..yet the closest to the original name of God is YHWH (Yahweh)

your servent in Christ
    FS

• Matty
    Matty

I don't start threads very often, but here's mine on the Nephilim. I found it very useful.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=26994&site=3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit