Fear, perhaps?

by bigboi 12 Replies latest jw friends

• bad_associashun
    bad_associashun

Yes, I'd have to agree that fear plays a large part- after all, the org makes such a big deal of the 'vow', the new status of 'baptized publisher', and of course, ONLY THEN are you now in line to receive Jehovah's blessings as a 'dedicated, baptized witness of Jah'- you are 'greeted' at the meetings, of course you can feel them all standing back to actually see if you will turn out to be ONE of them, not quite accepted yet

And then during the 'would-you-welcome-a-visit-free-home-bible-study', you are repeatedly shown the United in Worship book as well as many, many WT articles that make the 'dedicated, baptized' part very clear [ie: if you're not one of us, you will die]... "Oh my god, you mean I'll die at Armageddon if I'm not a baptized JW?? QUICK- WHERE'S THE WATER?!!

I guess this had an impact on me, since without any family, I was alone & 'looking for a home'/somewhere to belong- the JWs made me feel I would have all this family & friends (fellow fruit-pickers of the New Order)

• teejay
    teejay

Big,

I was flipping around the channels this morning, watching a little Sports Center and waiting for (CBS') Sunday Morning to come on and came across a TV preacher I like. I think his name is Charles Stanley. I'll stop and listen to him every time I see him.

His subject this morning was unconditional love -- specifically god's unconditional love for humans. Stanley put up several reasons why Christians have a hard time believing/accepting such a concept. The word "fear" came up and I couldn't help but think of this thread and a JW teaching I heard for thirty years, that being a fear of displeasing god.

Looking back on it, it's absurd to think or believe that we should be afraid of god. The thing is: Having become a parent, there is no reason in the world my daughter should ever fear me about anything. In this world, she has no greater ally there is no one who loves her more or wants her to succeed more than I do or is more willing to forgive her when she makes a mistake. If there was a god, would I (or COULD I) be more loving than him/her? I don't think so.

And I think that leads to the reason why the governing body harps on this "fear factor" when it comes to humans displeasing god: they don't have children. They don't know the all-encompassing love that automatically comes with being a parent. If they did, I'm thinking they'd cut that particular doctrine from their mags. Then again - maybe not. I know it's a useful whip to keep the sheep in line and moving.

Anyway... just my thoughts...

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

What holds them back? I think part of the reason (not the whole reason) is that it's a "joining thing". Here in the Great South Land, it's a national trait to hold back from "joining' things. Aussies are a very larrikin, individualistic type of people. They're great mates, unpretentious and gregarious, but ask them to "join up" and....whoa...the brakes are on!

Just a thought.

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit