Fear, perhaps?

by bigboi 12 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi

Have u ever noticed that ppl contemplating becoming dubs actually experience a good bit of fear in the process? All the recent talk of disfellowshipping brought this to mind. Ok, I know that when anyone is thinking about making any kind of committment there is a little apprehensiveness and anxiety. However, I can remember talking to ppl in the org who never managed to get baptized and the number one reason many of them give is the fear of being disfellowshipped! I think it says a whole lot about the policy and the way it's used against the members of the org.

Just as a side note, how many ppl from mainstream churches do u know that express a fear of joining their neighborhood churches? Often, it's simply a matter of preference or location for them. Not so with the Jehovah's Witnesses.

So I'd like to put a question to the board. What in y'alls opinion is the single biggest reason for ppl not getting baptized? I think it's the way the disfellowshipping policy is used.

ONE....

bigboi

• Solace
    Solace

I came very close to being baptized but never did, its like something was holding me back. My then boyfriend, now husband, was Catholic and I was starting think about the awful things I was always told about "worldly" people and noticing for myself how untrue it all was. Meeting all the requirements was always in the back of my mind, meeting attendance and hours spent in service. Most importantly I saw the control the society had over my family. Im am thankful that I was never baptized.

My J.W. aunt once told me about her daughter who has had her share of problems, "Thank Jehovah she was never baptized or she would have been disfellowshiped a long time ago." It is almost like they are more afraid of the Elders at the kingdom hall than of God himself. Or maybe its like, "If the society doesnt know, God doesnt know". Very strange.

• NewWay
    NewWay

Hi BB. I'm not sure that fear is always the reason folk don't get baptised. I get the impression that young people defer baptism sometimes in order to continue being part of the congregation - maybe because they have close friends there - without the responsibility that baptism is supposed to bring. I remember one of my children saying a while back that when she got baptized then she would change certain behaviour! It seemed that the youngsters in the congregation felt once you were baptized you were expected to behave better. My efforts to explain to her that a person is supposed to change, then get baptized as a public declaration of repentance didn't seem to make much difference. Maybe this attitude will in someway help to drain the society of new blood (no pun intended). My advice to youngsters is to say that you won't get baptised until at least age 18 because you want to be an adult when you make that decision, in line with the fact that the Bible says only mentions adults as getting baptised. When 18 comes along, you are in a position to say that as an adult you have decided not to become a JW! Certainly, if you never made it to baptism, then you can't be disfellowshiped, hence you are one step ahead of the society.

• LDH
    LDH
    how many people from mainstream churches do you know that express a fear of joining their neighborhood churches?

Big that is a great observation!!! I really mean that!

Lisa

(ps edited for non-USers)

• bigboi
    bigboi
    I came very close to being baptized but never did, its like something was holding me back. My then boyfriend, now husband, was Catholic and I was starting think about the awful things I was always told about "worldly" people and noticing for myself how untrue it all was. Meeting all the requirements was always in the back of my mind, meeting attendance and hours spent in service. Most importantly I saw the control the society had over my family. Im am thankful that I was never baptized.

Thanks for your thoughts Heaven. I guess getting a little real exposure from the outside wold helps. What u say is about "worldy' ppl is so true. Most folks are nothing like what WTS indoctrination leads u to believe.

My J.W. aunt once told me about her daughter who has had her share of problems, "Thank Jehovah she was never baptized or she would have been disfellowshiped a long time ago." It is almost like they are more afraid of the Elders at the kingdom hall than of God himself. Or maybe its like, "If the society doesnt know, God doesnt know". Very strange.

Yeah this is quite odd. I always thought that God was going to judge both dubs and non-dubs. It doesn't matter whether ur baptised or not God can still see what ur doin, right? Whether ur baptised or not doesn't turn a wrong into a right. Yet, i stll saw a lot of this type of faulty reasoning among ppl who were afraid to get baptised. Your right, it does show who dubs really fear.

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

Just another example of double standards. If you get babtized, then more is expected & you are more "punishable" but if you're smart- and don't get babtized, then the sin isn't as bad, or something like that! Why would anyone get babtized? What are the benefits? More reprocussions than benefits. Like getting babtized is some mark of life or something. If I knew of ANYONE getting involved in the organization, I would do my best to talk them out of it- if they insisted- I'd say at least don't get babtized. Babtism ruins lives. I had a friend who never got babtized- grew up in "the truth" decided to leave when she was 16- smoked, did drugs, had sex, got piercings, tattoos- etc, but she had no "label" on her- so her parents still talked to her. I married a "worldy" guy- and maybe had sex once (LOL) before we got married- and I got dissed. Same sins, different labels. What a crock.

• Eric
    Eric

bigboi,

Born a JW, I was quite the little zealot preacher and I had plans to get baptised and go serve at Bethel when I was eight years old. My parents had "moved to where the need was great" in 1967, and I felt myself to be a significant part of this, and considered my local elementary school as my personal territory, making a big deal out of every stand I would take to show that I was 'no part of this world'. I could not wait to be baptised, to be really included, and I made no secret of my feelings.

But by the time that I had reached an age where baptism was a real option, I already had my doubts. A school teacher, (may you be alive and well, John Tarn!) had picked apart my old-fashioned cut-and-paste science essay on evolution, which I had done straight from the old "Evolution book" by pointing out that I could not have read the papers and books that I had listed as references (also straight from the Evo book) and have arrived at my own conclusion. In compelling me to read some of those references, my first glimpse into the non-authoritative status of JW publications was set.

Around the same age, while studying to prepare for a #5 talk in the Ministry School, I came across the Apocrypha, and learned that the Bible canon that the JW's rely upon had in fact been finalised by a political agreement among men who belonged to what would later become the Catholic Church. It was too much for me to accept, both then and now, and I turned the assignment back to my Dad, the Ministry School Servant and PO.

But I continued to get older, and as the pressure to get baptised increased, so my involvement in a double life progressed. I made more and more clandestine worldly friends. I found more and more young JW friends who were also biding their time to get out. There were some great parties. Inevitably, some got busted or confessed, and I saw that those who were baptised got tougher punishment. Tougher on their family more than anything else.

I resisted baptism up to age 16. At that point things fell apart between my Dad and me. He insisted on authority over his household (or lose his appointments) and I made it easy on him and left to go out on my own.

Not ever having been baptised has benefits that continue to this day. My parents, having mellowed somewhat with age can make a theocratic distinction between me and my other 5 siblings who, having been baptised, may be be either in good standing, disfellowshiped, re-associating but not yet fully repentant and fit for contact, and on and on it goes.

My standing with my parents has waxed and waned depending on the most recent advice from Brooklyn regarding treatment of familial non-believers, advice found most often in QFR's in the WT. None of that matters to me, I love them anyway.

Eric

• teejay
    teejay

Big,

My joining up with the jehovahs was different than others since I was raised in it and baptism was a foregone conclusion for me. I don't remember having any trepidation about getting disfellowshipped, either. At the time, I was under the delusion that only people who had bad hearts got df'd.

You make a good point. Knowing there is no honorable way for a person to get out has to weigh on the minds of grown people who study the religion. I'm sure it has kept many people (and teens of JW parents) from getting baptized. Good for them.

Heaven makes good points, too. Knowing all the tasks and time commitments of the JW lifestyle keeps many others from joining.

Holla.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Thanks for y'alls responses.

Big ups to Eric, thanks for taking the time out ot share your experience.

I can't comment as much as I'd like to because i just got busy all of a sudden. I had like nothing planned today.... but u know how it is.

Anyways I can see from your responses that there are many reasons why ppl sometimes hesitate to come into the org. The double standard Perfection Seeker brought out I think is closest to what I was trying to get at. I think just saying they are afraid of getting disfellowshipped is too simple. My main point is that alot at the very least a lot of ppl don't come into the org because of fear, whether it's the fear of increased responsibility , or the consequences that may arise from future conflicts with organizational procedures and policies.

I say again in the world outside jwdom, it is almost unheard of for a person to be literally afraid to join a church. That in the least should let ppl know that something just isn't right there.

ONE.....

bigboi

• Francois
    Francois

I got baptized so that I COULD date JW girls. I had heard they were easy, but you had to be baptised first. I thought that was kinda odd, but HEY!, anything for a whole herd of easy women. And then I experienced my first ASSEMBLY. WOW! I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Go figure.

Francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit