My chat with Elder Dad. (I'm angry!!)

by home_and_dry 33 Replies latest jw friends

• terafera
    terafera

I was quite surprised that anyone butted their nose into your marital status in the first place. That obviously was NOT the point. It's your decision and your partner's, and no one else's.

I agree. I was a little surprised that the issue of marriage was brought up....I feel that the point is being missed. Blacksheep and JT hit it on the mark.

I've been there, played it, bought it, returned it. I know the whole " we thought you'd return to the truth by now...I can see there is no chance of it, thats pathetic."

I can vividly remember a conversation with my older brother, late one night. He and I were very close... we would talk about anything. He had been reinstated after his second disfellowshipping. He was about the only one in my family to have anything to do with me, since I left the meetings. My loving jw mother *sarcasm* kicked me out of her house and I was living with him. We were riding in his truck and I was feeling grateful that I had a loving brother who supported me, regardless of my religious standing. It went something like this:

me: So Sean, lets go by the mall and check....

brother: Deborah, we need to talk. I saw sister Hem***** at the meeting and I told her that you would study with her.

me: what??? I dont want to study!!! I've stopped going to meetings for 2 years! Why would you do that???

brother: I'm trying to help you. You arent going to get anywhere in the world. Start studying, get in service more...

me: no. You dont seem to understand. I dont want to go back. I dont want to study. If I DID want to study..I wouldve asked someone to study with me. You cant just start a study up without asking me...

brother: I dont know why you dont love God. You seem to be a loving person. Maybe I judged you wrong.

~now I'm in shock..... I seemed to be a loving person?? This was my brother, who held me when I was a sick baby, he'd make faces at me until I laughed...my mom said I would cry for him to hold me. My bruddie. Maybe he judged me wrong??? I felt like throwing up.

me: No, Sean. I do love God. Why would you think I dont?? Dont you know me better than that? Cant you see that some people can love God and not be a Witness??

brother: I dont get it. I thought you had the right heart. *sigh* I'm so disappointed in you... I dont want to give up on you, but I dont know what else to do. You've got to think about what is right...

~silence for the rest of the car ride.

Then and there, I knew that the Society was a wall between my siblings and I. I was completely shocked, but informed from that point on, that my family's ideas of me were going to be molded by what the Society told them.

It's a hard pill to swallow...but that's how it will be, as long as your family are jws.

Edited by - terafera on 29 June 2002 2:53:20

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

Home, first, I don't know you, but it sounds that you have done the best you can under the circumstances you have been through. You should be proud of yourself, living up to your responsibilities with your children and home. Your dad I believe loves you, but it is his duty to try his hardest to get you to realize your so called error of your way. Don't let people put you down for choices you made. Life is to short to get caught up in such a battle of if he is right or you are right. Enjoy life with your children, and hold your head high for what you have been trying to do be a good parent. The best to you in your future endeavours.

• sf
    sf

""Holy matrimony is a blissful myth, wholly based on religion wholly based on bullshit." - - Rudimentary Peni"

I Wholly agree. Marraige IS A cult(ure).

Scary, truly.

sKally

• starfish422
    starfish422

Gosh; there's nothing wrong with marriage; but having a loving and respectful relationship with your partner doesn't have to be wholly contingent on whether or not you decide to tie the knot! Let's remember, people, that we're not in the JW anymore, and that we no longer have to be suspicious and accusatory.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit