Assemblies...conventions...special days...

by NikL 36 Replies latest jw friends

• conflicted
    conflicted

I never liked a single one, I noticed it was a good opportunity to catch up on sleep, but my mother wouldn't hear of it and woke us up constantly. Besides, I was supposed to be "old enough to know better". One year, the year I got dunked as a matter of fact, I thought I could get out of the boredom by volunteering in food prep, well what do you know - my cong. PO was in the room and he wouldn't hear of anyone in his cong. missing the assembly - even for food prep. So I ended up having to go early and stay late to "fulfill my obligation", but when the talks started the PO would usher anyone from his cong. to their seats. My brilliant plan wasn't so brilliant after all.

• AuSet
    AuSet

eyes_opened, I am still laughing at your story (I could really identify!!) Ever notice that those programs make really crappy fans? Especially when it was over a hundred degrees, it was like fanning yourself with a postage stamp!

How come my cong. never got to do a drama?? Oh well, I guess we just weren't imporant enough...

On a different note, last summer I attended my last DA. I had a spiritual experience that left me with the crazy idea that I needed to go to the DA to settle things in my mind, so to speak. I realized for the first time that I was a real outsider, and that it was just the same old boring stuff that got repeated again and again. I ended up spending most of the time in the Barnes n Noble connected to the skyway of the arena, reading a Margaret Atwood book called "The Handmaiden's Tale." Its a pretty sick and frightening tale of how religion can be taken to an extreme.

Anyone out there read that book?

So then why, why do I keep having nightmares (about once a week!) that I am back at the District Convention??? Do I have to go back yet another year to get some message that i missed? What is going on here??

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

AuSet,

Were you at the Rochester Civic Center last summer? I was driving through Rochester frequently last summer. I thought about the DC's being held and thought about going but changed my mind after 1.2 seconds.

My wife is a huge fan of Margaret Atwood and has a copy of the book you mentioned. She enjoyeded the book very much.

As for your dreams I have similar ones. My theory is the subconscious guilt and uncertainty over the life changing decisions I have made. It is nothing supernatural or anything to be worried about but just part of the process of breaking away from a former belief system that had a powerful hold. I still dream about worrying confrontations with a boss I had 5 jobs ago. You can't tell me that has any religious significance. And what about those dreams I have where I am naked? They used to be about giving talks at the KH and finding myself undressed or totally naked. Who'd like to guess that meaning?

Regards,

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    "The Handmaiden's Tale." Its a pretty sick and frightening tale of how religion can be taken to an extreme.

Anyone out there read that book?

Yes, I read that book quite awhile ago. After having been a cult drone for so long, I found the book all too true....and very unsettling. It just seemed too close to the JW experience.

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Hey AuSet, LOL! They did indeed make crappy fans I have read the handmaidens tale too. Really intense story. Also, about the dreams...I think the strongest chance of getting rid of them would be to not go to more DAs. The longer you are away the better things will get.

Hey Thirdson, I have been to a few assemblies at the Rochester Civic center...also we went to many circuit assemblies in the assembly hall in Henrietta.

Eyes

• AuSet
    AuSet

Thirdson,

Yes, I was at Rochester last summer. I attended a total of 20 min, got nauseous (panic!) and proceeded to wander through the halls eyeing the attendants menacingly. You ever get to see the apostates outside of the arena? I've seen the attendants try in the most desperate manner to keep them away from the site, calling the police, etc. I remember standing by those windows on the second floor of the arena watching a circle of attendants carefully surround the apostate preaching on the lawn so no one could get within close range! And this guy was really goin at it, too! Yelling all over the place and waving his bible in the air. But inside, there was just a row of witnesses all lined up by the windows watching in wonder at this guy, hell it was more entertaining than the sessions!
    I think everyone's right, I shouldn't go again. But I am drawn irresistably to them...I just can't explain it.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Eyes,

Methinks you were at a different Rochester to me and AuSet.

Auset,

Don't go again not unless you want to read Margaret Atwoods's latest book. In which case I think you owe it to her to buy a copy. I actually attended a couple of days at Rochester in 1996. That was my very last assembly.

All,

Another thought on dramas and who got to be in them. I know they were often cheesy but they are even worse when you personally know the cast and born and bred English folk have to mime to American accents...my dad included! You know the WTS never re-records them for non-American English speaking audiences.

Of course watching bushy-bearded and soggy period costumed folk wander about an English soccer field in pouring rain while complaining about the lack of water was extremely funny.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Thirdson,

Ah, not Rochester, NY then? I was born and raised in NY...just moved a few years ago.

• NikL
    NikL

Hay Auset,
    You reminded me of one of my last assemblies with your mentioning the "apostates".
    Apparently there was one sitting near me and during the final session on sunday as the afternoon progressed attendants started quietly asking for people in the area to move and the seats were then taken up by attendants. By the end of the final talk he was surrounded. As the closing prayer ended he jumped up to rush the stage and was summarily pounced upon. The poor sap had no idea!
    Later a friend who was with the attacking group of attendents rubbed his knuckles and told me, "Some of the brothers got a little over zealous". It made me wonder if the poor "apostate" wasn't going to be found dead in a ditch somewhere. That incident always bugged me. I mean we were supposed to be better then the world right? It was on that day I learned that J.W.s are sometimes nothing more then thugs and it was another brick in the wall.

Edited by - NikL on 9 March 2001 2:0:56

Edited by - NikL on 9 March 2001 2:3:11

• Mim
    Mim

I remember assemblies and taking my kids all while living under the stigma of being a sister with an "unbelieving" mate! I still think alot of the other sisters were jealous.:) Bob used to come and get the kids after lunch so I could listen to the rest of the meeting. Yes I used to take notes, I still have some actually. As Bob was not a JW I had a lot more freedom than any of my witness friends, I could work, I could have an opinion, I didn't have to dress like a frump. Remember those horrid wide collared dresses, with white nylons and flat shoes? I haven't worn nylons since leaving the dubs and I gave all my "meeting clothes" away to the Salvation Army. Poetic justice that.

My bum used to just KILL me after the 3 day DC's. I remember having a numb bum for a day or two afterward. And the boredom. When I was pregnant with the twins in 94, my last year, I was so ill. The smell of anything made me sick. I couldn't go to the meetings or the conventions because getting in our car, the smell of the interior, it was new made me so ill. The elders came to see me and said I should be willing to barf all the way to the KH (40 minutes) just to take in the spiritual food!! What about my physical food?:) Bob wouldn't let me go and that was the beginning of the end.

My fantasy is to go to the convention with a bullhorn and a sign and just give 'er. Much more fun to be apostate than apathetic and trapped!

Mim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit