My son died of Luekimia been there read

by rekless 28 Replies latest jw friends

• rekless
    rekless

First of all there are several different types of Leukemia

Danny had Acute Lymphatic Leukemia, he became ill at two years old...this was in 1972... he lived for 16 years died two weeks after he graduated from high school.

Now...He never had an ounce of blood during the 16 years of treatment. He underwent chemo theropy.

This was the worste class of childhood Leukemia at that time.

This form was considered cured if the child remained in remission for five years...There was a 50-50 chance of those that had Lymphatic Leukemia would be cured by the 1980's he fell in the class that did not.

For five years he would be in remission then the drugs stopped working and he would have to under-go another type og chemo. We were lucky for 16 years every five years science would develope a new chemo drug and he would start the treatment and go into remission never having to take blood.

One does not have to take or have a blood transfusion to have chemo theropy.

Science ran out of wonder drugs for Lymphatic Leukemia in 1988...he died after taking experimental drug which stripped his body of all red cells and he died of not of leukemia but of acute pulminary failure.

Now Freddy if that makes you feel good so be it. Now for the rest of you if you don't know what you are talking about please don't put fuel on the fire.

It still hurts to talk about my Danny, but Transfusions had nothing to do with his death or life.

• LB
    LB

Can't imagine the loss of a child. In fact I've never even allowed myself to give it much more than a brief thought. I'll never understand your pain rekless, but my heart does bleed for you.

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

LB, you softie, I agree! Rekless you did the best you could at the time, and that's all that is expected of you! To cry at it now, so many years later...that is great. You've never lost touch with your loss and therefore, you've never really lost touch of your son...he's always been in your heart!

Luv Vi.

• Solace
    Solace

Reckless, Wind & Beck

Im so sorry. I just cant imagine.

Im sure there are many types of Leukemia and various stages. We have a friend of the family who just lost her husband to blood cancer. He wouldnt take a transfusion of course, it may have prolonged his life but if the cancer was so advanced, no amount of blood will help, I understand. My sister whos getting a bit bolder, metioned to her that the society is bending somewhat on witnesses accepting certain blood treatments. She was stunned and said she knew nothing about acceptable blood treatments. I guess I just wish this blood issue was non existant, its a touchy one with me too.

Take Care.

Edited by - heaven on 28 June 2002 20:29:0

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Hi, Rekless, it is nice to meet you. I went through a similar experience with my son, Eric. He was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia when he was two (1975). (I am not sure if Lymphocytic and Lymphatic are the same, they call it ALL for short.) He did have a blood transfusion about a week after diagnosis, the only one. He had a couple of remissions, during each chemo protocol, where they almost lasted four years, but the disease would always come back. Even though the doctors told me he was in the 50% catagory that were poor risk, I still believed he would be able to win his battle. Then, he would get sick again and my heart would sink. I don't remember how often we endured these ups and downs, but they took a toll. I spent the majority of ten years in the hospital with him. Then, he had shorter remissions, until he just couldn't fight it anymore. He died when he was twelve. He went into a coma. A strange thing happened when he took his last breath. The room went darker than it was. I talked with my husband about this, and he said he noticed it, too. I believe that an angel was there for Eric and left when Eric finally died.

I sincerely know your pain. My son was an extraordinary person, the apple of my eye. Even though he has been dead longer than his short life, the pain of losing him never goes away. My love to you and your family...

Wind

• rekless
    rekless

Windchaser,

Hi, Rekless, it is nice to meet you. I went through a similar experience with my son, Eric. He was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia when he was two (1975). (I am not sure if Lymphocytic and Lymphatic are the same, they call it ALL for short.) He did have a blood transfusion about a week after diagnosis, the only one. He had a couple of remissions, during each chemo protocol, where they almost lasted four years, but the disease would always come back.

( I understand every four or five years with me)

Even though the doctors told me he was in the 50% catagory that were poor risk, I still believed he would be able to win his battle. ( Didn't we all )

Then, he would get sick again and my heart would sink. ( yes the same heart wrenching pain.) I don't remember how often we endured these ups and downs, but they took a toll. ( My wife just died two years ago, she never over came Danny's deathg )

I spent the majority of ten years in the hospital with him. Then, he had shorter remissions, until he just couldn't fight it anymore. He died when he was twelve. ( Some times I wished Danny had died when he was two, then I think of his 16 years we had together god damn the organization.)

He went into a coma. A strange thing happened when he took his last breath. The room went darker than it was. I talked with my husband about this, and he said he noticed it, too. I believe that an angel was there for Eric and left when Eric finally died.

( the last thing I remember was thje ER room and seeing cpr on my baby and fluid from his lungs spewing three feet high, oh god what amemory)

I sincerely know your pain. My son was an extraordinary person, the apple of my eye. Even though he has been dead longer than his short life, the pain of losing him never goes away. My love to you and your family... (I have love for you and yours. )

Wind

• outnfree
    outnfree

((((((Wind)))))) and (((((((rekless)))))))

I just don't know what else to do or say!

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

(((((((((((((((((Rekless)))))))))))))))

I cry a lot. I cried through my divorces, I cried when my youngest son joined the Navy, I cried when a dearest friend turned his back on me, I cried when my mom and grandmother died. But each time I have cried, my thoughts have always turned to Eric. He was my biggest loss, my dearest love, my sweetest joy and my saddest sorrow.

A couple of weeks before he died, he was bleeding out. Large clots of blood were in his mouth and I had to endure swabbing these out. I wanted to run away, Rekless. I've never been through anything as horrible as facing his death. I think I could face just about anything now.

Please feel free to email me, if you want: [email protected]

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I cannot imagine the strength it takes to hold your child so close in your heart and to lose them. (((to both of you )))

• LB
    LB

I guess I've just been lucky.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit