Judge rethinking ruling?

by writerpen 15 Replies latest jw friends

• writerpen
    writerpen
    DEVELOPING
    STORY
    Judge who issued Pledge of Allegiance ruling issues stay pending further appeals. Details soon.

www.cnn.com displays this headline. Maybe the judge can't take the heat from public.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes, the political pressure is getting to be too much! And it seems that every analyst is saying that this ruling will be struck down the the U.S. Supreme Court.

And other arguments are being brought into the fray, such as "we'll have to change all our money, which says 'In God We Trust'". Such arguments are comparing apples and oranges.

What the ninth circuit court was ruling on was the constitutionality of having government-sponsored institutions, such as schools, use religious wording (such as "one nation under God") in their ceremonies.

Apparently the "majority rules" faction is having its way.

• Francois
    Francois

Oh great - pure democracy - MOB rule! Just what the founders wanted to avoid, for good and sufficient reason, too.

Canada is looking better and better, even if it is leftist. What's going on in this country defies reason.

Francois

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Bush is going to put in office Judges who will uphold the law of common sense,(common sense according to Bush) above the law of the land, (people)

I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry to rush to Canada because of this. It's only a matter of a very short time before Canada and the rest of North America are in the same bath tub anyway.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 27 June 2002 17:31:25

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Mob rule? From what I see, it seems that the minority more often than not wins. Didn't Jws just win a case over Stratton, Ohio? Isn't the pledge case an atheist's doing? Slowly, but surely--no prayers in schools, no ten commandments, no God (all at the insistence of a minority). At any rate, even if the pledge is not allowed, God is not going away because atheists want Him to. Nor will those who are unafraid of atheists stop speaking about God.

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

sori,

kenneson, take a look out your window...

god got pissed with us a long time ago, packed up and drove away... (bit sadly, i thought)

• Gopher
    Gopher

It seems that the rule of law shouldn't be determined by "majority" or "minority" interests, but by the constitution. If a common practice is occuring that conflicts with the constitution, what is wrong with an unpopular minority pointing it out?

Yes the JW's won the Stratton lawsuit, but that was because the Stratton ordinance was bad law. Nothing at all to do with the popularity, or lack thereof, of the plaintiffs.

Just watching NBC News and seeing that the atheist fellow who brought the suit just received a load of threatening, obscene phone calls on his answering machine, and has had to move his 8-year old daughter out of her school. Francois is exactly right -- the MOB is attempting to dominate over the rule of law.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Singsongboi,

If God seems so far away, who moved?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Was God with the people (who are in favor of keeping the 'under God' clause, militantly so) who threatend the atheist man and used obscenities to intimidate him?

Is God closer to those people, or to the atheist?

It has been said that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel... I think the combination of "my country, my God" also is a safe place for people with bad motives to hide. Sorry, but those 2 words don't make a nation more or less God-like. Unless Godliness is mobbing, gathering up against and intimidating someone whom you don't agree with.

• bigboi
    bigboi

If a guy doesn't want his kid to be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance, because it goes against his own beliefs, then I say more power to him. If he sticks up for himself and his kid through due process and in the process exposes the hypocrisy of the system, then I say again, more power to him. This is what America is supposed to be all about ppl.

ONE.....

bigboi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit