The end of Watchtower Observer?

by Wendy 43 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

Personal differences aside, kent's site is a priceless asset to those wanting to know the real truth about the truth. I hope a way is found that allows kent to enjoy more of a real life with his family AND for the site to remain as it is. I know it is a valuable resource for countless people who are on the road of escape from the evil empire.

• revdrjohnson
    revdrjohnson

Best of luck, old friend

Yakki Da!

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks for the link Kent.

I get the impression that you need to install their software on the server itself? I don't have this type of console-level access to my public server but could help and advise someone else if they wanted help setting it up. I am mainly a Microsoft-ie but have been known to dabble in 'the dark side' now and again

I agree that a database (or XML) driven site is essential for managing the information. This is one of the things I'm involved in for my 'day job' so I may be able to come up with something. In fact, with a bit of work, I'm sure that all the exJW sites could collaborate a lot more and link content together - imagine having a meta layer which linked info so you could see articles all over the web on different sites about blood, or the UN etc ...

Anyway, whoever wants any technical help with anything just needs to ask and I'll do my best to assist.

• Kent
    Kent

Hi Simon;

I'm sure that all the exJW sites could collaborate a lot more and link content together - imagine having a meta layer which linked info so you could see articles all over the web on different sites about blood, or the UN etc ...

You're right. A system like that is something I have been thinking of for a long time, and it would certainly make many sites more effective. Like the Moreover stuff, where you can get headlines for your site. With a system like that this could be used on Ex-JW sites - and that would be great.

When the agreement is done with someone to take over the Observer - the person in question might well need some help on the tech side. And yes, you're right. The system on www.ez.no demands root access - and you need 2 different IP addresses as well. The problem for most people, running a site like the Observer - is the traffic load - and the space it takes on the server itself. Even though HDs are cheap these days, many providers charge by the MB of space used - and many files takes up a huge space - and the load of traffic - 6 to 15 GB a month, can be a problem as well.

But, thanks for the offer. I'm sure someone will need it!

Kent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit