Watchtower and sex

by claudia 29 Replies latest jw friends

• claudia
    claudia

Ok maybe this is a dumb question, but I really am curious. why does it seem that fornication is the only "real" sin in the jw religion? I mean people can slander, be gluttonous, get drunk and have unethical business practices, but god forbid you should have a little sex. Strange it seems, any thoughts?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I don't know, (and I have noticed it as well) but I do intend to fight that particular hypocricy every chance I get!

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Claudia,
    I wouldn't say it's the only sin. Perhaps it's one of the more prevalent ones however. People are regularly removed for drunkenness (there has to be a lot of it, however) and lying (and only when it's malicious) and stealing (not much experiece with this one). The number one offense, however, is fornication. Gluttony is a difficult one to burn someone on.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• NikL
    NikL

Hi Claudia,
    The reason is that it is just plain fun to sit in on an elders meeting and enjoy all the lurid details of someones "illicit" sexual encounters. Since the elders obvoiusly aren't getting any, jealousy develops on their part.
    Also, not everybody is a drunkard, and most people try to be honest and nice. But MOST love a good shaging once in a while and the power is so strong sometimes that we just can't help ourselves. :)

Religion and sex are power plays
    manipulate the people
    for the money they pay
    selling sex selling god
    the numbers look the same
    On a credit card.

• claudia
    claudia

Frenchy, does there also have to be alot of fornication? I have never seen someone get df'd for lying.

• larc
    larc

Hey Frenchy,

I always wondered about gluttony in my Kingdom Hall days. Why didn't they have a little spiritual chat with the fat sisters and brothers? Seems to be fatness is evidence of gluttony. Hey, an alcoholic brother can sober up for a meeting, but over eaters can't hide their sin.

• larc
    larc

Nikl,

I also think that it is more fun for Elders to ask sisters about their sexual practices than it is to ask them about their eating habits.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, we had some enormous sisters - helf of the hall would be gone if they tightened up on gluttony.
    They use slander as a weapon themselves so they can't really start calling people to task for it can they?

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Claudia,
    Good question. In my experience slander was a biggie, and nothing was ever done about it.
    I guess because it usually involved the elder's wives. I always thought it was interesting that they (elder's wives and children) knew the details of comittee cases and talked about it in the car groups and nothing was ever done. There was lying involved in those conversations too, because they always added untrue details!
    TW

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

The Witnesses are a frustrated bunch of people who are with each other 24-7-365 and like any caged creature they look for ways to entertain themselves. They either pick on each other or have sex with each other. And the Society who created this "close knit, united worldwide brotherhood" then entices them to tell on each other and punishes them for doing and being the very things they have created. They are products of their stifled environment. And its a run away train that the Society in all their homophobic, sexually frustrated and deprived glory doesnt give them freedom to interract with other human beings or make their own decisions and live with their own consciences, they have to constantly be monitoring them like an ant farm, doling out and meting out punishments and even MORE restraints, and writing MORE stupid articles telling the flocks to stop being SHEEP. Then reminding them once again how happy they are.

Loves
    "My task is to bear witness to the truth. For this was I born for this I came into the world, and ALL who are not deaf to truth listen to my voice" - Jesus before Pilate, John 18:37

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit