I Have a Question

by Farkel 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Farkel
    Farkel

My Proclaimer's book is in storage right now, but I did a post some years ago on a picture in that book. It's the picture of the dubs sitting down listening to Joe Rutherford rant and rave at one of the "7 Trumpet" assemblies in the 1920's.

If you look at the picture, you will see that all females had their heads covered, and many of the head coverings were what looked like doilies or paper napkins! THAT was what my post was all about.

But that got me thinking. Today in dubland, women are only required to cover their heads when they are substituting for a man's position or to show their subservience when they are giving head. Nevermind!!

So, I'm wondering WHY they all had their heads covered back then when they were clearly just listening to Rutherford speak rant? Does anyone know what the society's position on women and head coverings was back then?

(Someone should scan and post that picture like I did. It's a hoot!)

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 25 June 2002 17:37:56

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Fark,that was before my time.I can remember my mom putting a doylie(or something on her head,LOL)When she oversaw the book study at someones house.But no other time...OUTLAW

Edited by - OUTLAW on 25 June 2002 17:45:21

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I wish I had a picture. I just got my 1997 CD from my mom. Bold mine

There is one Witchtower Questions From Readers:

*** w51 9/1 543-4 Questions from Readers *** Is it necessary for a woman to cover her head when conducting a home Bible study?When such a covering is or is not required is causing much discussion in our company.P.W., .

She would not need her head covered for the conducting of a home Bible study, as it is not a congregational meeting, but one that she has arranged herself. It is not a case of her being appointed to conduct a congregational meeting. However, if her husband were to attend this home meeting, she would cover her head if she prayed at the opening or close of the study. This would harmonize with the instruction: Every woman that prays or prophesies with her head unveiled shames the one who is her head.1 Cor. 11:3-16, NW.

We view a head-covering necessary under two conditions: (1) when a sister receives an appointment through the congregation or theocratic organization to keep order and conduct congregational meetings, and (2) when she is married and must show submission to the one God has made head of the family, the husband. These two principles enable one to decide for herself the requirement of varying situations.

A few examples may aid in grasping these principles. In a company composed entirely of sisters, the Society appoints sisters to positions ordinarily held by brothers. When such sisters serve from the platform at congregational meetings, they will show recognition of the theocratic headship of the man and that they are serving in the mans place only because circumstances require it. This recognition they show by wearing a head-covering, such as a hat or scarf or other suitable covering. Any sister conducting or presiding over a part of a congregational meeting should do likewise, whether she is a servant in the company or not.

While sisters presiding at the service meeting or Watchtower study or company book study wear head-coverings, other sisters who merely read the paragraphs in sum-up at such meetings, or who participate in demonstrations, or relate experiences, or answer questions from the audience, do not need to wear such a covering.

Sisters leading in prayer at congregational meetings should have their head covered. The womans hair is not sufficient as a covering. If it were, the question would never have been raised.

But when a sister finds interest in the field, follows it up and establishes a home Bible study of her own, she does not thereby become a conductor of a congregational meeting. Only if her husband is present must she wear a covering when she prays, for his presence brings into the matter the second principle, that of showing subjection to her family head. Of course, if the husband is in the truth he should do the praying, and if this is done then the sister, his wife, may conduct the meeting without head-covering.

In the case of prayer at mealtime, the man of the house should do the praying. If he will not do this for one reason or another, and calls on his wife, her head should be covered to show recognition of the theocratic principle of mans headship in the family relationship. If her husband is not present, she may pray with uncovered head, just as she does in her individual prayers privately uttered. If the sister praying at mealtime is unmarried, having no husband as her head, she need wear no head-covering, whether she is in her own home or a friends home or a missionary home. Of course, in all instances if a brother is present he should pray.

So the matter resolves itself to this: Is it a congregational meeting where the sister is presiding or praying? If so she should have her head covered. If not a congregational meeting, does a husband-and-wife relationship exist for her to show recognition to his headship, if he is present? If yes, then she should have her head covered. She would not show this sign of subjection to another womans husband. Nor would a single sister or widow show this sign of subjection to another womans husband. Such unmarried sisters have no male head as does a married woman. The only time the single sister would concern herself about a head-covering is when she comes under congregational conditions calling for it.

This has been answered at some length, since it comes up often in the . It is no question in many lands, where women customarily go with heads covered or with veils. In view of all that has been said on this subject, we suggest that each sister henceforth decide for herself when the covering is required, doing what she conscientiously believes right in situations not specifically covered herein, but which can be determined on the basis of the principles herein set forth. If she is in doubt and unsettled in conscience over a particular situation, she should wear the covering to be safe and at ease in mind and in conscience.

Knowing now the principles involved, let us show Christian maturity and apply these for ourselves, conscientiously, and not have to ask others on every imaginable situation. The Society would soon be compiling a set of regulations as voluminous as the Talmud if it endeavored to prescribe specific rules for all the varying cases. In fallen man under Satans influence there is always the tendency to substitute rules for principles. It is so much easier to conform the conduct to a rule than to make a principle inform the whole life. Moses prescribed rules; Christ inculcated principles. Rules are for children; principles for men and women mature in Christian growth. So now show maturity in applying the principles herein given regarding head-covering, making your decisions conscientiously, and you will not properly be criticized by others.

Me---I guess this is one of the reasons I hate them. I like the Talmud reference. And the one about a veil. Do they get that only Muslims are wearing veils?!

What fools.

Edited to add: Rutherford must have been a hater of women. What a turd.

Edited by - puffsrule on 25 June 2002 17:55:55

Edited by - puffsrule on 25 June 2002 18:10:3

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Man that was funny.

I'm sorry I can't help with the answer to your question...but I do remember some sisters putting a cloth nappy on their head (a clean one) when taking the group for FS one time. The next day those sisters were counselled for using an inappropriate item LMAO. So from then on, sisters starting carrying lip stick, panty shields, eye brow tweezers and a specially made custom designed head covering. Pathetic!

Beck

• Farkel
    Farkel

Beck,

: but I do remember some sisters putting a cloth nappy on their head (a clean one) when taking the group for FS one time

Yes, I remember that kind of stuff, too. But what I'm curious about is WHY all the females at that assembly in the Proclaimer's book I mentioned were sitting in their seats, listening to Da Judge and also wearing head coverings.

Wait! I've GOT IT! They were protecting themselves from all of that spittle spewing out of his mouth during that speech!

Well, THAT makes perfect sense to me. Women are so practical, you know.

Farkel

• Solace
    Solace

I didnt understand this practice much either but I do remember when I was young, being at my grandmothers house and my aunt putting a napkin on her head while she prayed outloud. I remember it took everything in me just to keep from laughing.

Thats interesting about the women wearing head coverings during Rutherfords talks. God only knows what was going through that mans head and what he required of his congregation.

Edited by - heaven on 25 June 2002 21:58:36

• Prisca
    Prisca

I sincerely doubt the women are wearing head coverings just to listen to Rutherford give a talk.

You must remember that in those days, it was quite common for women to wear hats when they went out, and especially when they went to church. So it would have been considered quite proper to wear a hat or some kind when attending JW meetings.

Suggesting that they were wearing paper napkins is quite absurd, and such claims (unless proven) can undermine the credibility of "apostates", especially well-known ones like Farkel.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I remember that a woman conducting field service one day wore a soiled bird cage lining...seriously. (Dope) So, putting napkins on the head isn't so extreme...

ashi

• Farkel
    Farkel

Prisca,

: sincerely doubt the women are wearing head coverings just to listen to Rutherford give a talk.

Get a copy of the Proclaimers book, and then question what I say. Otherwise, you are just calling me a liar.

Better yet, let someone who has a copy, scan the picture and put it up. Then we'll discuss what they were actually doing.

Farkel

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Prisca,you`ve got to realize me and Farkel are probably a little older than you.When we were young,it was not uncommon to see a woman taking the lead in a meeting,to actually put a table napkin or a kleenex tissue on the top of her head.It was kept there for the entire meeting...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit