Peter Jennings & Toby Keith ,who gets the b...

by Cowboy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

A short version,if you haven't heard it already.

ABC asked Toby Keith to appear on their Fourth of July special,hosted by Peter Jennings.In fact they asked Keith to open the show with his new patriotic song Courtesy of the Red,White and Blue.That was until Jennings got around to listening to the song,apparentley.After which he found the lyrics personally offensive,and insisted that Keith be cut from the show.In particular,the line"We'll put a boot in your ass/Cause it's the American way"(I've posted the complete lyrics on the thread Vincent's Goes Underground,in case you're interested)

Reaction from the music community,both country and pop,has been overwhelmongly in Keith's favor.An Oklahoma City radio station has started a drive to collect old boots (the crustier,the better).Sign 'em,bring 'em in and they'll ship the lot to Jennings...Guess he can figure out where they're intended to go.Several other stations across the country are doing the same.

On a related note,Charlie Daniels was cut from PBS's Fourth of July special because he planned to do his new song The Last Fallen Hero.PBS spokesmen said they had hoped that Charlie would perform "some zesty fiddle tunes"...

Sad that our celebration of freedom isn't free...

Nuff Said,

Cowboy

• Valis
    Valis

Cowboy, I love Hank Williams III. he's funny, nasty, and musically talented. Its a real shame that all the patriotic voices can't be heard, because of the other terrorists that assault the constitution all the time. Somehwere in this discussion is the concept of popular vs contrversial thought and which should be protected more, but perhaps another day. here's a report on the subject for any that are interested.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!

• mike047
    mike047

Isn't Jennings Canadian?

Mike

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

Valis-I guess that was my point.Is the song controversial because it has the word ass in it,or because of the "ass kicking sentiment"?Which is the popular opinion?That the lyrics and/or sentiment of the song are too controversial?Or that Peter Jennings has the right to cut a popular singer from a show for singing a song that has already been performed on national television twice just because he didn't like the lyrics?In any case,I agree,so much great music is lost to people that don't take the time to look for it,just because someone deems it politically incorrect.

Dungbeetle-Yep,me too.The things you find here...

Mike-Yeah,I'm pretty sure Jenings is Canadian.

Cowboy

• Princess
    Princess

Yes, Jennings is Canadian and I'm sure will regret his decision to "uninvite" Toby Keith. I love that song. The Alan Jackson tribute to 9/11 is nice and syrupy but I love Toby Keith's straight talking lyrics. "Man, we lit up your world like the fourth of July" just gives me shivers every time I hear it. Can't imagine a better song for the 4th this year!

Rachel

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

Toby Keith is an Oklahoma boy,and folks here are taking this personally.It reminds us of Connie Chungs remarks in the wake of the Murrah Building tragedy.I wish I could remember her exact words,but basically,in a live broadcast from the site only a couple of days later,she said we were nothing but a bunch of rednecks living out in no man's land.It was the beginning of the end for her,that's for sure.I think Jennings' attitude,while not as personally offensive to me,was much farther reaching.I doubt that it will be a career ending thing for him,but I do think he will regret it.

Cowboy

• bitter mango
    bitter mango
    she said we were nothing but a bunch of rednecks living out in no man's land

LOL! coming from small towns of saskatchewan i can relate to this . i wouldn't be offended..it's true. but oklahoma kicks ass!! ((((cowboy))))

about toby keith's Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (Angry American), it's a good tune and it has more of a positive message than a negative one. owell, honesty will always offend some.

Edited by - bitter mango on 25 June 2002 4:0:35

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Because of Jennings' Canadian and more international perspective he probably realizes the song essentially confirms the distasteful stereotypes of why America is disliked around the world.

The song IMO is glorifying patriotism and basically saying that war, revenge and violence are the "American way" and that is not the best image to be putting forth to the world. Sure that is the "American way" but from the perspective of the outside world is that something to be proud of?

The performance being in America and for the 4th of July is not likely to be of international interest, but at a time when America is trying to get international support for expanding their 'war on terrorism' I can see why Jennings would not be supportive of this particular performance.

Path

• nita6368
    nita6368

What needs to happen now is for Hank Jr to do the bit and open with Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red,White and Blue". I wouldn't put it past him, how Jennings can believe Hank will be anymore "politically correct" is amazing in itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit