"do not go beyond the things written"

by stuckinarut2 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I believe this is what is known as hypocrisy.

You get a like!

• steve2
    steve2

It's akin to someone instructing you to be wary of robbers whilst pickpocketing you. You're so intent on listening to their sensible advice, you become distracted from noticing they have slipped their hand into your backpocket and stolen its contents. Clever.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    For them to call 'do not go beyond what is written' a Rule is in itself going beyond what is written since the Greek doesn't contain 'rule' or any Greek equivalent. The old NWT, while not alone in translating it that way, differs from a lot of the modern translations. I don't know if the revised NW says 'rule' but I expect it does.
  • thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

So I was the reader for the "Draw Close to Jehovah" book and I almost choked reading these words from stage since I didn't read over it ahead of time.

"The religious leaders buried God’s Law under a mass of man-made rules and regulations. The Sabbath law, for instance, simply forbade work on the Sabbath, setting that day aside for worship, spiritual refreshment, and rest. But the Pharisees made a burden of that law. They took it upon themselves to decide just what “work” meant. They labeled as work 39 different activities, such as reaping or hunting. These categories gave rise to endless questions. If a man killed a flea on the Sabbath, was he hunting? If he plucked a handful of grain to eat as he walked along, was he reaping? If he healed someone who was ill, was he working? Such questions were addressed with rigid, detailed rules."

Oh, so you mean like what qualifies as accepting a blood transfusion and what is/isn't acceptable? How many hours a pioneer should make? What counts as a study, how time should be reported, what is allowed in the bedroom, what fornication entails (oral), what is pagan, what isn't pagan, when and when you can't talk to a DF person, the list can go on and on. Holy crap you could write a JW book with all their rules and regulations! Did they really put something like that in their publications?

My favorite is, "They took it upon themselves to decide just what “work” meant" As JW try to decide what generation meant and even going as far as redefining words.

From the same books:

"If we are humble and modest, we are willing to admit that we do not have all the answers, that our opinions are not always right, and that we need to know Jehovah’s mind on matters."

I couldn't help but laugh at this one. When has the GB ever acted like they didn't have the answers. Heck look at their generation meaning issue all because they can't admit they don't have the answer!!!!! HOW WAS I SO BLIND!!!!

• Zoos
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    The funniest part is the phrase in 1 Cor is unintelligible in Greek. IMO the best and simplest explanation is the one accepted for decades by many scholars, the phrase (don't go above line) is simply a scribal notation that crept into the text by mistake.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    In line with the admission in the May broadcast by ToMo3, that previous GB went "well beyond the intent of the scriptures", this thread came back to mind....
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'd found Jaracz saying on public media some 15 years ago that they "don't go beyond the things written" (when questioned by a reporter on the child abuse problem) to be one of the biggest OMG moments I'd seen at the time*.

I was, like, "Dude, do you even hear yourself?"

The WTS has raised "going beyond the things written" to a f**king art form.

* 'Course, it was pretty tame compared to the stuff they say nowadays, but still... :smirk:

• Half banana
    Half banana

Have you ever thought how limiting this idea is in the first place: " not going beyond what is written". It is a crafted expression of the early Christ-cult leaders (Paul and his ghost writers) to induce obedience to them.

The acceptance of this instruction narrows an individual's thinking and falsely assumes that written text is sacred. Nothing is sacred except life itself.

Assumptions are always foolish principles to live by.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I know what you mean. They constantly go beyond what is written.

It reminds me of the Regional Convention program. One talk is titled "Shun unrepentant ones" and the next talk is "Be Forgiving." You just have to laugh!

JW's the BIGGEST HYPOCRITES EVER!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit