What Should I Say ?

by JosephAlward 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

I'll be speaking this week at a memorial service for my father, and would like to include passages from the Bible which are uplifting and comforting, but which do not refer to God or Jesus or have an overt religious message or overtone. I would appreciate very much if members would suggest passages they believe would be appropriate.

Joe

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

My condolences, Joseph.

No offense, but you are wanting an awful lot out of us..ummm....you say you want passages from the Bible that aren't religious, don't refer to Jesus or God AND are comforting and uplifting? Yikes!

Edited by - windchaser on 21 June 2002 16:43:27

• ThatSucks
    ThatSucks

Joseph:

No offense, but why don't you just say something uplifting/upbuilding WITHOUT including the Bible? What is so important about using it? Is it expected of you or something?

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Joseph,

So very sorry to hear of your loss. I have nothing to add about scripture use. But wanted you to know you were in my thoughts.

• Valis
    Valis

Joseph, so sorry to hear of the passing of your dad.....I was thinking maybe sometthing from David's lament over Saul and Jonathan's death, or perhaps, as one of my colleagues suggested, the tale of the prodigal son.

DO NOT STAND AT MY GRAVE AND WEEP

Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there. I do not sleep
    I am a thousand winds that blow
    I am the diamond glints on snow
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain
    I am the gentle autumn rain
    When you awaken in the mornings hush,
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry,
    I am not there. I did not die

"What God is to the world, a father is to his son". Philo

I hope some of this helps. Do take care and if you say anything at the eulogy, infuse it with your memories

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

JosephAlward-

Personally I like the suggestion provided by Valis.

It is never easy to lose an immediate relative. I offer my condolences.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

{{{Joseph}}}

My deepest sympathy.

Tina

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i'm sorry about your loss. this isn't from the bible, but i think it's beautiful. it makes me think of the soul's journey from this world to the next:

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds -- and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of -- wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
    I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air.
    Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
    I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
    And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

sincerely,
    ~incense and peppermints

p.s. the poem is called "Highflight" and it was written by John Gillespie Magee, Jr. Pilot

He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force in October 1940, at age 18. He went to England to fly Spitfires. After qualifying, he was piloting one on a test flight into the stratosphere at 30,000 feet when he got the inspiration for "High Flight." Magee was killed in action during a dogfight December 11, 1941, at age 19.

Edited by - Incense_and_Peppermints on 21 June 2002 18:10:20

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

sorry for your loss JA.

I like the Jonothon and David angle also. Two persons who cared for and respected each other, separated two soon. They will meet again.

Best to ya

(((((((((((( JA )))))))))))))))

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Joseph,

So sorry for your loss. One phrase I always liked in reference to Job & Abraham is at Job 42:17: "And gradually Job died, old and satisfied with days." The reference to Abraham is Gen. 25:8 "Then Abraham expired and died in a good old age, old and satisfied."

Also, as a juxtaposition, is 1Kings 2:6 what Kg. David said to Solomon re Joab: "And you must act according to your wisdom, and not let his gray hairs go down in peace to Sheol."

My points are that there is much to be said to living out one's life and having a peaceful death.

Another thought that I always liked was, not from the Bible, but oddly enough, from Grumpy Old Men where a character remarked concerning the death of a common friend, that she was so glad she had known him, kind of like celebrating their life, not dwelling too much on the death. In line with that is: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Best thoughts,

Pat

Edited by - Patio34 on 21 June 2002 19:39:25

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit