Speech Counsel Point - TIMING

by Mister Biggs 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

Once, after a talk, when the elder counseled me, I actually talked back to him. I don't know what possessed me (maybe demons) but the elder was shocked.

• NotBlind
    NotBlind
    Do you all remember, maybe it was just my hall, when they really pushed the sisters to have informal witnessing as a setting? (I got told-from the platform-that next time I should use that for my setting) YEAH RIGHT! Do you know how hard that is?Your topic is: "The signifgance of the bride class for modern day christians" Setting; Informal witnessing at a Bus Stop. ...PUH-LEEZE!

How true! It just goes to show how much fakery is introduced into the TMS. Very few of the talks were realistic. And why can't the Botch-tower Society come up with more reasonable talks for #3 and #4. The last couple of years, the talks have been out of the Reasoning book, and they are always over the dumbest things! I feel sorry for the girls who have to do those talks!

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Hi, I totally agree that the topics assigned to the sisters should be more realistic. Or at least pertinent to a setting like: encouraging an inactive sister. Perhaps in five minutes two sisters can discuss:

HOW TO STAY ACTIVE IN THE "TRUTH" WHEN YOUR HUSBAND WHO CLAIMS TO BE OF THE anointed HASN'T PRAYED WITH YOU OR YOUR CHILDREN IN THE LAST EIGHT YEARS.

--That's a talk I would go to hear.

Edited by - yourschelbie on 22 June 2002 20:10:41

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

Can you imagine being a new person, coming to a meeting of Jehovahs Witnesses and this is is the performances that comes up on the stage, where you are SUPPOSED to be learning about god?? Watching people give talks which they have spend SO much time preparing and then be PUBLICLY COUNSELED on such aspects as timing, gestures, eye contact yadda yadda bullshit bullshit.

Publicly counselling a CHILD for gods sake?!!

I personally hated doing talks, not so much the actual deliverance of the talk, but the preperation time, and organising to meet up with your householder to practise, urh. I remember when the elders cracked down on the females practising their talks only before the meeting, not at any other time, and gave a big talk on how apathetic to Jehovah you must be to only put away the time 10 minutes before the meeting to practise your talk. My audience was lucky they got 5 minutes preperation time, sometimes I even thought of improvising, who the hell would know the difference, you're just a skirt regurgitating last tuesdays talk in slightly different words.

Funny, but the topic of this thread is actually why I left the place. I was getting completely over it, but this was my last straw. I had attended the sunday of an assembely out of guilt and dragged my fiance along also, he said he'd give it another chance and listen to the talks, well the one we actually sat down and listened to had the context of the "New Rules" on counseling, replacing "goods" and "work on this" with other similarly bogus words. This talk went for about an hour, tellign the elders about the new rules and everyone listened attentively.

At the end of that talk my fiance and I looked at each other, got up, walked out and caught a taxi home.

That was the last spiritual food I ever ate, god it left a bad taste in my mouth.

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

One of my talks was on the night the C.O. was visiting the Cong....Up till then when I went alittle over...(usually I was pretty good at timing)...they would never make a big deal....BUT....on this night I went 15 seconds past the time and the TSO ordered the sound to be cut-off!!!!!!....To say the least....I was pretty pissed off....everybody got a big kick out of it.....then the concluding talk by the C.O. went 15 minutes over...he had to tell everybody how good they were doing.....BUT....Jehovah wants us to put our best forward..BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....Guilt-Guilt-Guilt.....what a releif not being in that suppressing, humiliating, demeaning B.S.

CC

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

CC Ryder...

The sad thing is that this happens much too commonly.

• Scully
    Scully

It seems ridiculous to give someone public counsel for something as unimportant in the Grand Scheme of Things as timing on a 5-minute sales demonstration. Like in 20 years' time, who's going to give a hoot about going 17 seconds overtime?

But when it's something like adultery or embezzlement or loose conduct or pedophilia, it has to be kept "confidential" even from the people who are most affected or potentially endangered??

Someone definitely has their priorities screwed up.

Love, Scully

• outnfree
    outnfree

OK.

First I have to say that *I* actually tried to apply the counsel given from the platform to my own future talks. (Call me a goody-goody! lol I was!!!)

Second, at our hall they used to ring a bell, too, and you were to "finish your thought" and then get off the platform. Usually 15 secs. was the max. time over to still get marked "good." The school overseer was a sweetie who was a LOUSY public speaker himself (that "um" "er" thang!) but always gentle with the counsel.

Third, our last CO was a REAL stickler for talks finishing on time. HIS always did, and not only did he make a point of mentioning it after the school meeting, but when the WT Study conductor went over, as he often did, the CO laid into him in front of us all. The CO was pissed because it held up HIS final talk to the congregation and made him have to hang around US longer -- LOL! The poor elder was red in the face for a good 1/2 hour after the completed final talk!!!

Fourth, it was TOTALLY disrespectful for the brothers to go overtime on their TIMED talks!!!! I was a "spiritual widow" and my husband did NOT want me to be at the KH AT ALL!!! (Or, at the DC's and CA's, either!!!!) When the kids were even allowed to come out on week nights [read: school nights] to the hall, it certainly was a problem if I couldn't get them home into bed by 9:30. And for the assemblies and conventions, long-winded speakers and prayers keeping me away longer than already "necessary", did not make homelife a joy, let me tell you!

OK -- finished.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

YUP-we had a bell too!!

Once the DO's wife was giving a talk, and she was EXTREMELY long winded, so she got dinged, and she kept going, and going, and she got dinged again, and still kept going, and the third ding she said to the school conductor, "YES I KNOW, just give me a second" I am pretty sure she just finished her talk and didn't leave anything out...hahaha!

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Your right Mr. Biggs...It's a shame...I've heard poor little 10 year olds give better talks than some of the Elders...Too bad they have a hard time convincing their parents that they should go to college and advance their brilliance...I've seen alot in my time in....I was raised in it...went thru the 60's,70's,80's and almost thru the 90's...my wife and I both got out in 99...I remember sisters crying over counsel and some left the school because of being humiliated...My observation is that 90% of those in charge came from mediocre backgrounds with no authority over anything...then they get to rule over others and WHAM....Their all of a sudden Counselors ....and they really get into the whole thing....I had a best friend who is still Like Hitler....I'm not even exagurating..(pardon the spelling...I'm a Mech.Engineer and we cant spell...LOL)....He ran the school for many years...a bunch of the youth would help him...taking time with an egg timer...writing down G,W,or I....filling in future assignments....ect...we started to cheat alittle....giving some better marks than they got...yep....we got caught...I was called a worthless loser..with no future in the Organization and almost was taken off the school...later in life I started to hang around and became close friends with him and his family...I've seen him beat his wife on more than one occasion...(I was as brainwashed as everyone else at the time..so I never said anything)...he was always extremely harsh verbally to his mother(whom he took in after his father died)....it's funny how you keep things locked up inside and then it all starts to come back piece by piece...it's a real long story...maybe some other time I'll express some of it....I feel ashamed I never spoke up at the time...and your very right Mr. Biggs...it is like that in every Cong.....!!!!...Not just a few cases either....ALOT....but he still got up there every Thursday night and counseled people on poise, speech quality, humility....HUH....and all the rest of it....Hopefully people will gradually see what it really is...Control....and they will wake up...Later MB

CC Ryder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit