Conventions at Yankee Stadium

by Kenneson 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I was in Yahkee Stadium in 1958. I have vague memories of Brother King's story, but most of all I was haunted by the premonitions that what could have been my life would soon be completely fucked up. Oddly enough, that premonition was absolutely correct. What a smart little boy I was!

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 21 June 2002 0:17:44

• Carmel
    Carmel

I had the unfortunate luck of having to ride clear across the US and back in the middle of the back seat of a 1949 Hudson so we could attend the 1953 assembly. Would much rather have attended a Yankee's series than those god-awful boring dubbie meetings... Living in tents in a field in New Joosey and sitting through hours of "talks" is hardly the way to a ten year olds' heart...

carmel

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

i think the 1953 assembly was featured in the film, the WTS produced called the "New World Society in Action"...... can't remember much more... too long ago, except that so many tents to do with the Assembly organisation.... had american flags flying...

in aust. where we had to refuse to stand up for the national anthem at the movies (and usually an australian flag flying in the film clip that accompanied it), this seemed a blatant sin...

one of my first doubts, but cast aside, as in my own life, choosing to be a jw, was infinitely preferable to being a fag.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Was there in '58 and '63. Can you imagine what would happen if they attempted to hold assemblies like these today? How many present-day dubbies would attend?

• Undecided
    Undecided

I was there for them all. Met my first wife on the way in 53. Met another girl in 55, but can't remember her name. Was there with Jimmylene in 58, the one I met in 53, as her husband. I can remember the girls but not too much else.

Ken P.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I was there in 1958...although only 7 at the time. Travelled with family all the way from California. I remember a lot more about New York than the convention. Travelling that far in a car on a limited budget is not the most fun. I do remember as we got closer to New York, there was much excitement because the majority of people had some sort of bumper sticker that identified them and the ones who didn't have an official sticker put Watchtowers and Awakes in their windows, so there was a lot of waving and beeping going on as we got close. That was fun. I remember being stuck in the Lincoln Tunnel during rush hour...not fun. I remember seeing rats at the delli where I had the best pastrami sandwich I'd ever had...and other stuff. It was definetly memorable for a little kid. Of course we were supposed to have a real vacation too but there really wasn't enough time because my dad had to go back to work.

-BONEZZ

• happy man
    happy man

I as sweed was ther 1969,as an 22 year old boy, what a memory,but iwas also most remmber theGIRLS., meet one and have a very sad goodbyon airport, hmmmm,memorys like this make mee littel sad.

then i was ther in 1973, first i Miami,and later NY, also very nice, meet lot very nice young peopel it was very exaiting for us boys from sweden to see al beutifull girls, perhapswee also was alittel exotic for this browneyd beuties.

who nows perhaps i meet some of you,never forget the kindness and hospitalyti ,we have.

thanks for that, US folks are mutch more caring than wee cold sweeds,that was what i think in this time, ther fore i am very surprised when i read here that many of you say that the bigg problem among JW is lost of love,but perhaps it is times, i think it is a littel bit like that here to .

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

those eight day assemblies three square meals a day and sessions startining at 8:30 am and going to 9pm at night aw those were the days. Good grief and I am hear to actually talk about it. How on earth did we ever survive?? My mother was a mess at the end of day two. and I knew at the end of eight days I could never handle that again.

HINDSIGHT IS 20/20

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit