Conventions at Yankee Stadium

by Kenneson 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I became a Jw in 1958, but was unable to attend the large convention at Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds in New York. I understand that there were also two other large conventions held there in 1950 and 1953. Anyone in this forum attend any of these? Remember any highlights? How do you feel about these large gatherings today?

I was in New York several years later (the latter part of 1965 and the beginning of 1966). There was an impromtu assembly at Yankee Stadium while I was there. Some brother (whose name escapes me) had recently been released from a Chinese prison and had come to town. He spoke at this one time event to several thousand Witnesses. Can anyone refresh my memory?

• heathen
    heathen

no

• metatron
    metatron

Harold King perhaps?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I was at Yankee Stadium for the International Assembly in 1969. Seven days, with the first two having an extra session each (It was supposed to be an eight-day assembly, but they could only get the stadium for seven, so Monday and Tuesday each had morning, afternoon and evening sessions). That was the assembly I got baptized at. Nothing like a two-hour ride in a crowded bus across the Bronx to get to Orchard Beach, where the baptism was held...

• Gopher
    Gopher

Harold King, wrote kingdom songs "Be Like Jeremiah" and "From House to House" while in solitary confinement in China.

• heathen
    heathen

Sounds like they should have left him in confinement - gopher

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Kenneson,

Though I was only 4 years old at the time, I attended the 1950 JW Convention at Yankee Stadium. Don't remember any particular highlight like when Freddy Franz said the "Princes were among us." But I do remember it was hot and there were a lot of people there. My family stayed at the Watch Tower Trailer City in New Jersey. One evening an aircraft dropped leaflets on us. They said it was done by the Evil Slave.

I also attended the Convention in 1953, but being only 7 at the time I don't remember much of this one either except that it was hot and crowded. In 1958 we again attended the Convention in New York. This time the Society had both Yankee Stadium and the old Polo Grounds. My family attended the one at the Polo Grounds. I remember Freddy Franz's exaggerated oratory and all the new books. But again it was hot and crowded. Fortunately this was the last time my family attended a Convention in New York. We live in California and in the 1963 the Society had big international Conventions in Milwaukee, New York, then around the World, with a final convention in Pasadena, California--the one we attended. Like all the rest of the Society's conventions it was hot, crowded, and physically exhausting. Anyway you didn't miss much in my opinion.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was there with my parents, grandparents, aunt and cousins in 1953 (age 7) and in 1958 (age 12). It was a blast getting there, camping all across country. The convention seemed endless. In '53, we stayed in "Trailer City" where a small town was set up for those in travel trailers. There were showers, bathrooms, and even a store for us to use. The convention was piped in, and we stayed there every other day. Those days were fun. The thing I remember most about that convention was the native costumes people wore who came from Africa, Korea, Japan, and more. They also had the Gilead graduation as part of the assembly program. They entertained us singing and playing instruments. Even at age 7, I enjoyed that.

In '58 we stayed in a private home in Manhattan, and our car was vandalized during the day while we were at the Polo Grounds. The lady we stayed with, loaned Dad the money to get the car fixed and get home. She was elderly, very rich, and very trusting..............and she was "worldly". He paid her back immediately...............this was long before the days of Visa cards.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was there in 1958. I was 14. I still have the pictures I took there. Rode with my brother, parents and aunt and uncle. Six of us in a 4 door 1953 Chevy 6 banger all the way from South Dakota without any air conditioning.

The trip sucked although it had enjoyable monents. The program started 9 am and quit at 9 pm and went on for 8 days. I think maybe that was where the Society announced women were allowed into the minisrty school. I might be wrong.

I'd rather be dead than sit through that again.

gb

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I was there in 58. Long, hot, trunk load of books. Freddy Franz doing his little routine. Liked New York City. We took a day off in the middle and took the boat around Manhatten, went to the Zoo, that kind of stuff. Everyone seemed cool with that, eight days is a long time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit