I made it!

by Rado Vleugel 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Rado Vleugel
    Rado Vleugel

At the time I went to school Jehovahs Witnesses were still discouraged from higher education. The teachers on the primary school advised me to go follow pre-university education. But totally in line with the Watchtower I followed General Secondary Education.

After I left the Org my limited education became a problem. I couldnt go to the university. But in the years that followed I educated myself. This month I sat for several entrance exams (Colloquium doctum). Today I heard that I passed all the exams! Next September I am going to study Philosophy at Leiden University.

I am not the youngest student (I am 29), but that doesnt matter!

The only drawback is less income. But I have pioneered for many years, so I am used to it

Rado VleugelThe Netherlands
    watchtowerinformationservice.org

Edited by - Rado Vleugel on 20 June 2002 9:27:55

• JanH
    JanH

Congrats Rado!

Philosophy sounds like a great topic. Keep your eyes open for other topics you can indulge in. That is what is nice about university studies; you are flexible.

- Jan

• HomebutHiding
    HomebutHiding

Me too, RADO! I am 45, and I am soon to begin my Jr year in college...long overdue. I am a psych major. Feels great...you will LOVE it! Congratulations!

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Congrats!!!!!!

• Francois
    Francois

Congratulations! Honor is due.

You have overcome the corrosive effect of having been associated with the Borg. I am with you; I ignored the societies injunctions not to go to college and went anyway - it has made all the difference in my life.

I feel like I should write a letter to the people who were the most insistent that I not go to college, especially to the guy who said he wouldn't build a shopping center right in the path of an Interstate Highway, so why should I go to college with Armageddon coming up "real soon?" I wonder what he'd say about that now (he gave me the benefit of his wisdom in 1965)?

Have you ever noticed that the people usually giving that advice seem always to be the wealthiest people in the congregation - who seem always to be the elders?

I will be watching to see when you graduate - WITH HONORS. I have a feeling you can do it!

Francois

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Congratulations Rado, and you too Home It's a great feeling, isn't it, to finally have the freedom to explore and learn about things that we are interested in. Doesn't hurt either that a college degree increases our earning potential, as well

Cheers,

Dana

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Congratulations!!!!! Education is a lifelong experience. I made a commitment about 12 years ago that I would always be going to school and have not regretted the decision. My employer has paid most of my education. In regards to the lack of income, look at it long term. Over a lifetime college graduates ultimately earns more. You may be ten years behind the rest of the students, that just means you need to live an extra ten years.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Congrats Rado, you are exactly the same position That I was in four years ago - except I was 37.

As a 'mature' student on low income it was bloody hard, but worth it. I just finished at Uni last month and have a much better paid job lined up already. It wasn't just that though, it was the feeling of achievement that made it special, after succesfully completing a four year degree.

I find out tomorrow what my degree classification is. *bites nails*

• Intuit39
    Intuit39

Congratulations on your exams and your educational plans!

I went off to college at 18 (couldn't pass up the offer from an Ivy League school) and foundered because deep down inside I just knew I was going against god...ugh.

I started back parttime in Fall of '97 and just graduated magna cum laude with a BS in Psychology (apropos ;)) in May.

I'm 39 now, and still looking forward to atleast an MSW so I can get licensed to counsel.

It's never too late!!

Good luck to all of you starting and congrats to those who have finished!

All along the WATCHTOWER
    ...told a pack of LIES.

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Congratulations Rado! You deserve it! It's never too late to go to school, and I'm so happy to read all the experiences on here of people going back to school no matter their age. It gives me the kick in the butt I need to do it too.

Intuit 39--Congratulations are definitely in order for you too! I'm happy that I was able to be there and see it--graduation was proof of all the hard work you did working full time and going to school. Even when you were still a j-dub! I am very proud of you my friend! YOU DID IT!!!

Love,

Becky

PS. BTW, Intuit 39 is EXCELLENT at helping people out of the borg--he's helped MANY of our friends out, and is the only one who had enough patience to help ME out. His degree in Psychology is coming in very handy!

Edited by - beckyboop on 20 June 2002 12:51:23

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit