chitlins

by teejay 23 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

Lately, I've been in a semi-serious/leaning toward serious dialog with my baby sis about Dateline, the wt policy on pedophilia... several related things. Somehow, it's led me to thinking about chitlin's. Those that know, know what I'm talking about. For those that don't know...

Chitlins (chitterlings) are the intestines of pigs -- parts of the animal that certain folks in my culture cook up and eat. As food. You know... like... for dinner? Like you and I eat pork chops, steak, chicken. You know -- regular food.

Oh, they spice 'em up and do whatever they do to make the body part edibly tasty (I guess!?), but if you've never been in the vicinity while they are being prepared, trust me.... it's something you don't really want to be around while it's cooking. Being intestinal in nature, this pork product smells an awful lot like, um.... well... cooking shit. Go figure.

While I'm here I might as well to tell you (brag?): A single, solitary chitlin' has never crossed *these* lips. While I admit that is not a particularly noteworthy accomplishment, I'm just making a point, which is...

Some folks LOVE them some chitlins and some folks don't. Those that do shouldn't (necessarily) be ridiculed and those that don't shouldn't (necessarily) be praised. Eating chitlins is neither a major, life-affirming accomplishment nor, at the other extreme, a deed worthy of second death.

The fact (and my simple point) is: Peoples is just different. What *you* like is what *you* like. It don't make what you like GOOD. Or right. Or wrong. It's just what YOU like.

Right?

• larc
    larc

Hey bro, I would say the same thing about head cheese. Me and my son like it, and none the women on our lives can stand it. Now, head chees should be eaten on a slice of toast with mustard, what ever. Any way, it's good ta see ya back, take care brother.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Chicharrones...... mmmmmm good.... now who's gonna challenge that?

• LDH
    LDH
    Those that do shouldn't (necessarily) be ridiculed

Hell yeah they should. Especially if they don't know how to wash 'em right.

SORRY but I'm with you on this TJ. I will NOT eat organ meats.

Tripe (the lining of a cow's stomach) is dearly loved by people of Mexican descent. It is used to make Menudo, the Sunday morning soup. LOL. Well, let me say I have been to Mexico 14 times and I live in California and I *STILL* ain't ate no tripe.

Once when I went to Los Mochis (a large city in Mexico) with family, we stayed with some Witness friends. They cooked up some higado---liver, baby. I put it in my mouth and almost vomited right there.

I managed to ditch it, the wife thought I ate it and packed me up a special container to bring on the train with me. As soon as I got to the train station, I looked for the nearest bum and unloaded that crap.

Lisa

USDA Prime Class

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Plus, isn't chitlins and tripe really bad for you...as in...worse than some leaner meat?

What about shit on a shingle? (my wife loves to day that)

ashi

• Wendy
    Wendy

LOL Lisa,

Tom told me about menudo. It was after a very long night we had drinking. I of course was not in the mood to find some tripe He grew up in Oakland, so he has tons of "weird" stories for me.

wendy

*waves at teejay* Hope you are enjoying extra time with the little one

• LDH
    LDH

LOL Ashi...I haven't heard that expression in a while, dude.

When I was about 7 or 8 I remember grocery shopping and seeing a bag marked "Chitterlings." I asked if we could get some, after all, doesn't "chitterlings" sound like a fun name for a food?!?! I was baffled when my dad said, "Those are chitlins, you know those things *&*^^((& had at the picnic and you asked what it was?"

I almost barfed. To think I came close to buying chitlins. (Also, I was baffled at the spelling vs. pronunciation.)

Teejay, there was an older black sister in our congregation, Eliza Humphrey. Man, did I love Sis. Humphrey. You could always count on her for a hug.

Anyhow, she used to say "chi-rens" for "children." But she would always say it with love, as in "How you chi-rens doin?"

Man I miss her. She passed away a few years ago, old and alone. When I saw the title "chitlins" I thought of her.

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH

LOL Wendy my friend's husband (Mexican-American) grew up in Hayward (right outside of Oakland.)

I saw his high school graduation pictures from 1984, he was the lightest boy in the photo if you get my drift. LOL!

Lisa

• larc
    larc

Why shoot, I will eat anything. I don't care. Whatever it is, I will give it a try. Only one exception is blood sausage. Even though I would take a blood transfusion, I can't bring myself to eat something that is full of blood.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

We took our two kids touring around France and it was very expensive. In Chamonix we stayed at a nice place and they were having a dinner special which sounded a bit expensive but we decided to splash out. It turned out to be a set menu which was blood sausage for the main course. God it was terrible coz those French were chowing down on this stuff and we were trying to find places to hide it so we didn't look so rude. Actually David (husband) was so p'd off about the cost of the meal, that he ate most of his. Mind over matter basically. I'm sure it tastes ok, but some indoctrination sticks. And yes I would have a blood transfusion if my life depended on it.

Marilyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit