Trying again for more door to door reasons

by Bang 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Bang
    Bang

I posted a question before regarding the way jws go door to door.
    [Luke 10:7.23] And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide,for the laborer deserves his wages; do not go from house to house.

If the apostles didn't do it and Jesus said not to, why do the jws do it en masse?

Responses so far.

Elders_Kid While the scripture does say "do not go from house to house", I believe that is reffering to an employee/employer relationship. If you were working for a person in one house, you would stay there with them, eating what they provide, until the work is completed. Once that is accomplished then you could move to another place.

Even if it means "do the whole job and stay till they pay" , it doesn't answer why jws go from house to house instead.

Oroborus21 to emphasize that they should not be seeking BETTER ACCOMODATIONS elsewhere for if the householder is willing to listen... the disciples should be satisfied with whatever is provided and to do God's work, the primary mission.

Again, even if it's "don't be greedy" why do the jws go from house to house instead?

Does anyone else have a reason why going from house to house was the go, and who was even made aware of the wording of that?

Bang

Edited by - Bang on 19 June 2002 23:57:38

• heathen
    heathen

I always thought they were using the technique the apostles stated in Acts-20:20 also acts-5:42.Really part of my problem with the cult is they force the responsibility on women and children.I think that is completely wrong, all I can say is I'd be damned before I would let someone else tell my wife she has to knock on complete strangers doors (I"m not married but) just so she can please the elders and talk to her friends.I would have to declare my lordship over my house and remove any influence they may have over her.

• Bang
    Bang

Acts 5:42 is at the temple and at home, it's not about everyone's home. And in Acts 20:20 Paul is reaffirming to the church members how he taught them publicly and in their homes. They are different cases.

I'd never really thought about the other side of it - telling your loved ones to do as they bid and go door to door or they wouldn't let them get to heaven. No wonder they've managed to spread themselves a bit.

Bang

Edited by - Bang on 20 June 2002 0:13:14

• terafera
    terafera

I always thought they did it because of the song;

'From house to house

From door to door

Jehovahs word we spread..'

Do you need any other explanation than that?

• Bang
    Bang

That's the type of explanation that I thought they might use - it's just hard to believe how they pull it off (so to speak).

Bang

• heathen
    heathen

You can take it to mean anything you want I suppose but the premise for house to house preaching is definately there whether you contact people on the street corner or at their house would really make no difference but as far as home bible studies they are unique in that regard.I can see in the scripture in luke that the apostles were to stay in a house if only a friend of peace was residing there luke 10:5,6.Of course they would move along if they weren't welcome .Let's face it back then without tv and all the entertainment if someone wanted to hear a story they might be more apt to invite you to stay for dinner.I sure couldn't see that happening a whole lot today.

• terafera
    terafera

LOL i know what you mean heathen...they would like the company back then LOL.

I saw a sister in service yesterday by my house, there was no answer and she fell head first in the neighbors bushes. I felt bad for her.....for a second.

• Bang
    Bang

Heathen,

Where is the premise of disciples canvassing house to house?

Bang

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

So Bang, are you saying that there is no Biblical directive to go door to door?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Marilyn,

That is correct, aside from Fred Franz' mistranslation and application there is NO BIBLICAL COMMAND to go from door to door after the fashion of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit