News from Calgary

by larc 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks hawkaw - you obviously know a lot more about the specific circumsatances of this case. My comments were probably more appropriate as 'general principles'

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Thanks Simon.

The whole thing is just so stupid. I feel so sorry for Lawrence. But he is damn lucky that other people have come a long way to help his case.

hawk

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Simon - no hon, I didn't think you were pointing fingers at me.

Hawkaw and Path- I will hold off talking to the lawyer and instead send words of support to the Dad.

Thank you both,

Mimilly

Edited by - Mimilly on 19 June 2002 9:55:6

• Room 215
    Room 215

$180,000!!??!!....... I don't know, but it sounds extortionate to me. Doesn't this lawyer have other clients, or is he counting on Lawrence alone to furnish this year's income?

Does one have to be wealthy to get competent legal representation?

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe
    Does one have to be wealthy to get competent legal representation?

Unfortunately, yes, at least if you're going to fight something with the kind of deep pockets WT has.

Let's hope in this case justice prevails (for once).

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

Hawkaw: Thanks for the spot on updates. Wow!

Edited by - joeshmoe on 19 June 2002 10:21:32

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

So Hawk,

Are you suggesting that for now we should just sit on our hands?

Are there any links to the news media that are following this story?

Thanks for your help.

Sam

• Drue
    Drue

Thank you for the news larc and others. I posted about this on one of the Russian forums

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Thank you for the update. Although it is taking place only two hundred miles from here, there is very little in the media about the case. I have been wondering how things are going.

concerned mama

• belbab
    belbab

Turn this question of $180,000 around. What amount do you think the Watchtower lawyers will charge if they win their case. and are awarded court costs? They know how to pad their expenses and if they see an opening on how to recoup their expenses, they are going to go for the maximum that the traffic will bear. So Calvert has to hold to his figures also, doesn't mean he will get it, but he has to aim for it.

belbab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit