Were you ashamed of being a witness?

by sleepy 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Nope, not me. I was never ashamed or embarrassed to be a JW; but then, I don't embarrass easily. Heck, even when the Baptists were beating me up in the school bathroom for not believing in the trinity, I wasn't embarrassed for being a witness. I was embarrassed about not being able to fight back. Embarrassed because I was scared of being caught if I did fight back.

Then one day in the 12th grade, I decided "F" it and laid into them. I am not embarrassed to say that I kicked their arses really good. Funny, nobody ever bothered me after that.

I am still not embarrassed about being raised a JW. Sometimes I am even thankful for it. It could have been worse, you know. I could have been raised a Church of Christ or a Mormon.

Robyn

Edited for content

Edited by - robdar on 17 June 2002 10:38:3

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I was never ashamed, as I wholeheartedly believed it was the best thing anyone in their right mind could be part of. My how things change!

• Salud
    Salud

No I was not ashamed. I was one of the top elders in the circuit. Had many priviledges that others only dreamed of... I guess you can say I was going places with the organization. I used to look down on those who were ashamed. I really believed in the organization. I feel now more of a let down and saddened by all this, esp. loosing some family members whom I was very close too. I am glad to be out but my life has been completely altered, to the point where it was better for us to move away. Today I am ashamed of ever being a witness, and I don't tell people that I was. But I really believed at one time with all my heart...

Edited by - salud on 17 June 2002 11:31:19

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I'm not too original. Mostly my teen years although 16-19 I was in it hardcore. And by hardcore I mean baptized and worked behind the counter, gave talks and all that. Once my epiphany hit me during the conversion talk it was all over from there. I still believed all the crap until I was 27, which contributed to my self destruction, and that was even more embarrassing to me. To think that I didn't believe the WTS but I still believed armageddon was coming and I was DF'd (dead). Once, my then girlfriend now wife tried to give me a copy of the CoC book and I practically ran in fear even after being out of it for almost 7 years.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

GREAT TOPIC

I used to pray to be normal. I used to ask God to make me like everyone else...just normal...not special. As a child you had so many things to deal with all the time...not just occasionally. Each day at school began with the Pledge. Someone was always having a birthday and Holidays were always popping up. A child should not be forced or even asked to take on the Government each morning and we are taught to respect our elders but of course we had to go against our teachers, classmates...everyone. I think Witness kids grow up fast in one way but it is not a good way. We missed our childhood. We became little robot-puppets for the "Cause". How many of you as children were scared to death that you might get hurt so bad that a blood transfusion would be involved? You would be asked to die for the "Cause". Yes I was ashamed. Going in service put a knot in my stomach I can still feel. Thank God for therapists.

-BONEZZ

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

when i was in school, if asked why i couldn't come over for a sleepover or a party etc, i'd always reply with "my parents are jehovah's witnesses". by the time i was a teen, i was lying to my parents to get out of the house so i could feel like a normal teen and hang out after school with my friends.

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Wow, it just breaks my heart to read the stories of so many who were embarassed or ashamed as a child. Such a difficult road to have your childhood stolen from you. I am truly sorry for you having to go through that. But, hopefully it made you a better parent or adult in that you wont make the same mistake.

I was never ashamed or embarrased. I was proud to be a Witness and was very confident that I was in the truth and hoped I could help other people get to where I was. I was very self-assured and never had a problem meeting a schoolmate at the door. I preached in school and on the streets. I behaved like a little angle but honestly did not consciously know I was arrogant. I really liked people and got along with most everyone. I was a good athlete and was better than most on the school teams and regularly competed with the team players during school hours and on the street. I was not allowed to join the teams but had the respect of all the players. I was never diassapointed to be a Witness and didn't consider myself as missing out on anything. Like I always say, I was a true believer. Nothing to be ashamed of when you truly believe you are doing what is right.

My heart is heavy now though because I know my older brother was embarrased and ashamed of being a Witness. I loved him very much when we were young and will always regret that I couldn't understand what his problem was. I thought he was weird for leaving the Witnesses and causing so much trouble in our family. Turns out we were the weird ones. NOW I am embarassed for having been such a total fool. But, live and learn. Now I realize I was arrogant and am more careful with what I say and think. Now I am careful to realize that everyone has something to teach me and not only the other way around. I only wish I had learned that lesson earlier in life.

Sean

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

Hell yes I was ashamed...

I couldnt fit in anywhere...and because I couldnt really understand the JW doctrine....I didnt really fit in there either.

Life really sucked until I was 19!!!

Lizard

• invisible
    invisible

Massively so, constant ridicule at school, segregation from school mates, segregation from the opposite sex, scared stiff of bumping into them on the ministry, segregation from any activities not considered 'wholesome'. It was just utterly dreadful, I don't understand how any rational mind / parent can ignore the internal pain of their children forcing them into such a standard of life. Then there was the issues that JW's are well known for, here I'm talking of the abuse issues. Many people know what they'ree about and to be associated by birth and called names which had no substance in truth used to make me cringe. Even to this day I still hear of accusations often personally, it makes me steaming mad, but I deal with it.

It might sound a dreadful thing to say. My marriage with Jo' did not work out and subsequently we divorced. Having lost out on the upbringing of my son, period, at least I can be appreciative of the fact that he never will know the ways of the witnesses, for this I am very very thankful.

Celtic Mark

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

I was never ashamed because I did believe it was the truth. However, I was embarrassed on a number of occasions growing up and especially in high school. I know that I was considered odd by other students who didn't even know me that well. The students who did know me got along with me well.

The only thing I didn't do that the other kids did in high school was get laid. Of course anything I did do was without the knowledge of my parents or the other members of the congregation.

All in all, the whole experience of growing up as a JW is cruel and unusual.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit