Were you ashamed of being a witness?

by sleepy 47 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Were you ashamed of being a witness?

How did you feel about identifing yourself as a Jehovahs witness to others?

I often used to hide it because of the stigma attacthed to it.

Was anyone actually proud to be one?

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Yes, there were times I was ashamed of being a dub. Looking back I think it was mostly when I was in High School and I wanted so much to be doing what normal kids did (i.e., dances, sporting events, dating......etc). It was difficult being so different from everyone else.

• Been there
    Been there

sleepy

OMG, I was soooooooo embarrassed and ashamed. I dreaded Saturday mornings lest I should run into one of my classmates at the door. Thats all I needed, more assults & insults at school. Luckily I rode the bus and knew where most of them lived.

Hiding the JW from the world (Me) & hiding the world from the JW (Me). No wonder I'm confused. All the hoop jumping for them wouldn't save me at armegedon since God knew my heart. I was doomed. I just wanted to fit in some where, and be liked. It took me many, many years to tell any one I knew I was raised a JW. I knew God hated me because I was ashamed of Him. Now I see it wasn't Him I was ashamed of, it was the Org.. God lovingly waited for me to catch up, I'm working on it.

Yes, I was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

More em-bare-assed. You were always put in an awkward situation when certain issues arose, anyways, I survived.

Guest 77

• Latte
    Latte

Sleepy,

No, for me the word to describe how I felt would be embarrassed.

Also, I would have to add the word SAD. I would always have the thought in the back of my mind that 'this friendship is going no-whereno matter how much we get on well, you are not a JW' It feels GOOD to of left such unhealthy, judgmental feelings behind.

Now that Im out I feel ashamed about my past JW life...but happy to be now posting on this board ! (hee hee)

Latte

Edited by - Latte on 17 June 2002 5:47:47

Edited by - Latte on 17 June 2002 5:49:29

• Englishman
    Englishman

...going with my parents to Harringay Arena assembly, on a London Transport bus wearing A BIG LABEL that read:

GOD'S KINGDOM RULES - IS THE WORLD'S END NEAR?

....JUST GREAT FOR A 12 YEAR OLDS SELF ESTEEM!

Englishman.

• Matty
    Matty

Oh, those assembly badges, and worse, the posters they got you to put in your window! Don't get me started E'man.

Been there

's comment "I knew God hated me because I was ashamed of him" struck a chord because I don't think even the most staunch Witness hasn't buckled under occasionally. It's the "Fear of Man" thing, isn't it? The point is laboured heavily in the Watchtower and also at conventions particularly. We are expected to represent God at all times. Not mentioning that you are a witness all the time is tantamount to "Denying the Christ", and this pays a heavy penalty. The guilt you feel when you keep quiet about your faith is pretty unbearable - you are almost expecting to hear a cock crow!. The pressure to conform at school is particularly strong, and my heart breaks when I think of all the problems Witness kids have, and they are doing it all for nothing.

I was always known as a witness at school, and bullied badly as a result of it; I would have got on much better if I'd have kept quiet. I felt that if I denied God, God would deny me. This is so difficult for children, and you can see how concerned teachers can be about Witness kids. I suffered a lot at school, the problems I had made me a very frightened and sickly child. There's no denying that all Jehovah's Witness children are abused to a certain degree. No child should have this burden of responsibility put upon them. Childhood should be carefree, my childhood was stolen from me, and I can never get it back.

Was I ever proud to be a witness? In a way, yes, fulfilled is probably a better word. I felt that if I was a good witness I would have my reward one day, and so all the problems, the stress and the persecution I had was just Satan testing me, and if I past the tests, I would be worthy.

• Latte
    Latte

Poor You Englishman.

I don't think it's changed atall, what with the increased security at assemblies - the stupid badges are essential! The kids don't stand a chance of hiding them, they HAVE to be on display.

I never got over the F.ministry leader making us say a prayer on the STREET CORNER of all places! I was around 10yrs old at that time....aweful. We were all huddled together with our eyes closed....i was mortified as this was on the corner of a main road (a roundabout). What fruitcakes we must of looked!

Latte

• Latte
    Latte

Awww Matty I just read your post. School was certainly bad for you wasn't it? Your so right a child shouldn't have such burdens put on him. So sad.

I wish there was a way of making the JW parents THINK about what they are teaching their kid's ....the borg. makes sure that they don't have time to think! They really need to stop passing on the error.

Latte

• Francois
    Francois

Constantly

Frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit