Disgusting JW Funeral story

by PopeOfEruke 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

After listening to 25 years of mens' 'talks', I'd rather hear a 'talk' from a woman than a man anyday.

No offence, guys.

• Navigator
    Navigator

I have informed my ex-JW children that, should they allow my JW wife to give me a JW funeral, I fully intend to come back and haunt them.

• Etude
    Etude

Bonovo. Your experience is interesting, sad and amusing. It runs the gamut. I signed up on the board partly to say that and to share my own experience. My dad was not JW but was sympathetic. He was not the greatest dad, but I nevertheless loved him. When he died in the East Coast, I was living in the West Cost and no longer interested in being a JW. My brother-in-law (an elder) arranged everything including the talk, given by someone whom I didn't know and who probably didn't know my father either. I can remember just sitting there at the funeral home, listening to these people and thinking how lame this was. All I heard were empty words about "hope" and "resurrection". They might have meant more if I hadn't heard them a hundred times before, the same way, under the same circumstances.

I was upset enough with my grief that I had decided not to speak at the service. Well, after the boring endless readings and canned phrases, I just couldn't sit there anymore. I decided to get up and say something. In spite of my anger at such an obvious attempts to preach to my fathers worldly friends, I kept my cool. I simply said that all the talk about resurrection was fine, but that it didnt concern me at that moment. I said that I did not want to be consoled with such talk, that I felt pain for having lost him; that I knew that the pain would ease in time, but nothing anyone could say would help to mitigate my grief at that moment. I mentioned that, although he was a strict disciplinarian, he sought the best for his family. I stated I that I owe a lot to him for contributing to making the person I am now. I went on speaking along those lines. I was very emotional and I dont recall all I said. I do remember how the faces changed as I went on, from detached looks to involvement and then to tears. It was the best part of the whole session and it made quite an impact. It also had the effect of contrasting my personal message to a stale, insipid and contrived presentation.

Etude.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    However, BECAUSE SHE WAS WEARING SLACKS, she was refused to read it from the platform and had to read it from her seat in the audience.

I'm reminded of the Pharisees who, in their piety, washed their arms up to the elbows, and we know what Jesus said about them, don't we?

Nothing personal about the deceased was mentioned.

I suppose the reason is, that they believe the deceased has ceased to exist, and if they do not exist, then person feelings of attachment are 'out of place'. They teach instead that there will be a re-creation to a paradise earth, but this is NOT a resurrection, is it?

Cheers, Ozzie

• Solace
    Solace

LB, " Funerals are another chance to give a witness".

Exactly. My aunt said those exact words because a local elder would be speaking. Lets give all of them a good witness" she said.

When my grandmother died, I felt like I was sitting through a Sunday morning talk. I wish more would have been said about her as a person. She was so wonderful.

My grandfathers funeral theme was, "he died faithful. Was a good example and didnt accept the blood transfusion". He laid in the coffin with a copy of the watchtower carefully displayed, peeking out of his jacket pocket.

I miss them but I am glad they are together now and away from this life.

• dissedsis
    dissedsis

Stories like these always sadden my heart as I had a simular experiance with a JW funeral..My sister who was mentally hadicapped died when I was 16 and my JW mother insisted that the eulogy be given by the "top" elder in the congregation. He was going on and on about paradise, and then when the time came to mention the surviving family members he named off all our family except for my sister and I, and we are both disfellowshipped. He even went on to name distant family members, while looking at my sister and I the whole time..After the burial, other people were mentioning it because it was so noticeable that he intintionally left us out, everyone saw the ass for what he was...When I mentioned it to my mother at a later time she said something to this elder about it and he had the nerve to come over to my house with another elder and tell me that he just completly forgot about us....Yeah right....SO I really truly feel for those who have had these experiances...

• Solace
    Solace

OH God Diss,

That is awful.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

IW, your comments reveal extreme ignorance. If you had ever been into a Catholic service you would know that women are on the platform every single day in the Catholic Church. Women read the readings, serve as altar assistants, give announcements, etc.

In fact, the ONLY thing women can't do is officiate the Mass. And men can't either unless they're a priest.

If I wanted to read a poem at anyone's funeral and was wearing shorts I would be allowed to. Although that would be tacky on my part and I haven't seen it, it serves to make my point.

Only the idiotic high control of the Watchtower (and groups like it) want to control the women so desperately that they INSIST in the no pants rule. I remember a nice young lady who was studying had many pantsuits she used to wear to the meeting. No one would invite her out in service or talk to her because they all sat around judging her for her attire.

And her suits were much nicer than many of these same sisters dresses.

That "nice young lady" was me. Eventually the pressure got to me and I chucked the pant suits. Traded them in for above the knee skirts and received the same cold response. And I was still stupid enough to get dunked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit