PEDOPHILES are to WTS as flies are to honey?

by Focus 173 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hello, Friend,

: Our views are not all that far apart. I don’t think Focus’ and mine are all that far apart either,

On the basics, I agree. In the details, well, you know. :-)

: and I think he could see that if he were not apparently so determined to avoid my point for the sake of salvaging his own initial mistake, but I tire of that discussion.

I think that both of you are being rather too stubborn about that. I see both of you making certain points that the other will not acknowledge. To me, you're not acknowledging what I think Focus's main point ought to make explicit, which is that despite what the Society's paper policy says, in the minds of many JWs they have the idea that they ought not report crimes if reporting will "bring reproach on Jehovah's name". This force vector of "ought not" is translated into "must not", which is not as strong as "required not to".

These English words are confusing and some people capitalize on it. For example, the Internal Revenue Service instructs Americans that they "must" report their income, even though the Constitution's Fifth Amendment explicitly states that no one shall be required to "bear witness against himself", i.e., you don't have to tell the government anything about yourself if you don't want to. So the IRS never says, "You're required to report", since that could be challenged in court, but says "You must report" because "must" also has the archaic meaning of "may".

: I agree that the Society’s policies regarding child molestation are not clear enough, that they are not proactive enough and that they tend to err toward protecting the Society.

Ok. These are extremely important points. They're important because the Society's intent in making and implementing its policies is shown by how clear it makes the policies and how consistent it causes elders to be in implementing them.

Intent can be established in a number of ways. I just posted some material on this forum and on H2O about the Society's practice of failing to provide full citations of source references in its 'scholarly' material. While in most languages, such as English, they don't provide full references, they do in the Italian language publications. Apparently Italy has some kind of rule about this, or the Society wouldn't do it. If they can do it in Italian -- even citing the English language references -- then their intent deliberately to hide the references from most readers is obvious.

So it is with the policies regarding child molestation. The erring in the direction you describe proves the Society's intent -- which is to keep molestation cases quiet so as to avoid adverse publicity for the Witnesses.

The only other reasonable intent would be deliberately to protect molesters, do you not agree?

I think it highly unlikely that most WTS policy makers want to protect molesters simply for the sake of protecting molesters, so I can come to only this one conclusion. And it is clear to objective observers that a policy that errs towards protecting an organization must also err against individuals.

: But we apparently disagree on whether those policies err toward protecting perpetrators. While I think the Society’s policies may sometimes have the effect of protecting perpetrators it is hard to tell if that protection is to the point of erring toward that protection.

If there is ever any "effect of protecting perpetrators" at all, whether by design or by neglect, then there is simply nothing to argue: the policy by definition errs towards protecting perpetrators.

Again, the intent of those who actually put the words of the policies on paper are largely irrelevant. If the effect of their words and their actual implementation of their words by their instructions to the lower-level 'managers' who actually carry them out is to sometimes protect the bad guys, then the real policy has the effect of tending to protect the bad guys.

Conversely, if the policy tended to err on the side of the victims, then there would tend to be a few cases where errors are made to the disadvantage of alleged perpetrators.

In the experience of everyone who has so far seen fit to comment publicly, which tendency dominates? Does not this observation of how Watchtower policy works in actual practice prove my contention?

: Let me explain.

: Every judiciary has to have standards. Anytime those standards are almost met but not quite then it may appear that a perpetrator is being protected. This happens all the time in criminal justice systems in developed countries where there is some evidence of guilt but not to the point of proving it to set standards. There is the question of weight of evidence and what weight is required for conviction.

Quite so. And it all boils down to a matter of opinion: at just what point does "some evidence" become weighty enough to become sufficient evidence to convict?

Many have concluded that, because of the secret and insidious nature of child molestation, and the mind games that molesters play with children, the "some evidence" should be a bit less stringent than for cases of crime against adults. The Society doesn't seem to understand this.

:The issue is also not as simple as saying that we should protect children at any cost! What about the children of a falsely accused father and husband who ends up spending his life in prison for a molestation he did not commit but was convicted on the word of a single person? That scenario is what makes people sit back and think long and hard about what standards of evidence should be so that justice is more or less assured but not absolutely guaranteed. This is a question that is constantly being asked and resolved in practically every known judiciary.

I agree that this is a hard problem. I agree that a person should not be convicted simply on the word of one accuser, adult or child. They should be convicted by any solidly established evidence. What "solidly established" means in practice is one thing we're discussing.

: As I have said before, I believe one thing would effectively solve these and other concerns, that elders should be clearly instructed to encourage victims and parents to report criminal accusations of child molestation to legitimate law enforcement officials.

It would certainly go a long way towards making the Witness organization less comfortable for molesters.

: Whether the Society should require elders to report these accusations or suspicions is another question and one that is debatable. For clergypersons (elders in this case) there is a good argument for leaving the prerogative of reporting (or not) to victims and/or parents of victims. I have already spoken to this and see no reason to reiterate.

I agree that this is a fuzzy issue. However, many cases prove that elders have actively discouraged reporting. Have they done that simply of their own initiative? Usually, not at all. What they've done is to take everything they've learned at the Society's hand and integrate it to come to an overall mindset of discouraging reporting so as to avoid "bringing reproach on Jehovah's name". Given that Watchtower leaders are well aware that these attitudes are common among elders, the fact that they haven't corrected such attitudes strongly suggests that they're happy with the situation. This, despite having made some noises that it's ok to report. Inaction is a very good indicator of intent.

: In your comments there are some errors and/or weaknesses, I will isolate them here.

: Regarding reporting or not, the difference between your comparison with China and the Society is this:

: Though the Society’s publications do not forbid publishers from reporting serious criminal acts committed by other JWs neither is it actively encouraged. The long and short of it is that Watchtower publications leave that matter more or less alone (as if anyone needs telling!), which leaves the prerogative in the hands of each individual JW. That is precisely what elders are told verbatim upon calling the Society’s service department regarding allegations of serious criminal acts, including child molestation. In the case of child molestation the service department desk will send the reporting elder also to the legal department where he will be told the same thing again. Since the Society’s publications and the judicial arm of the Society (service dept.) are both doing the same then your comparison with China in this regard is lacking.

We're not just talking about what the Service department does, but about what the Society's entire "judicial arm" does. This "arm" includes all elders, since they are explicitly appointed by the Society to be its local representatives in matters of 'congregational justice'. Since it is demonstrable that elders, and even the Service department, often act inconsistently from case to case and in different parts of the world, it follows that there a number of sets of rules that these people are following, or at least think they're following. To contradict this would be to claim that the elders who act inconsistently are deliberately ignoring Society policy. While this certainly happens, it is clear to anyone who knows Jehovah's Witnesses that most elders would be horrified to be accused of doing that.

Therefore my basic comparison -- that China and the Watchtower operate on "two sets of rules" -- remains valid. And as I explained, my comparison is much more general than just to this area of handling child molestation.

Now we get to the numbered points I made. One was this:
    [blockquote][hr]
    (1) No statements appear in public Watchtower literature directing that elders can convict someone of molestation on the testimony of two witnesses to two separate molestation events. [hr][/blockquote]

I take it you agree with this statement.

This fact immediately raises an important question: If the Society feels, as you claim, that it is permissible to convict someone of child molestation based on such testimony, then why is this fact hidden from the rank and file of Jehovah's Witnesses? Would it not be good for the protection of children if the parents (non-elders, of course) were clearly informed of this? And isn't it clear that if such parents were so informed, they would be significantly more likely to compare notes with other parents to see if the molester of their child also molested other children? So why do you suppose this information is kept eyes-only for elders?

: You wrote:
    [blockquote][hr] (2) No statements appear in private, elders-only Watchtower literature directing that they can [convict someone of molestation on the testimony of two witnesses to two separate molestation events.]

(3) One statement appears in the Flock book that in general cases of "sin", two witnesses to two separate events can be "considered". Just what "considered" means is not explained. The next statement says that such evidence may be used to establish guilt, but again no definite standards are given to establish just what may constitute sufficient evidence. [hr][/blockquote]

: Your number 3 contradicts your number 2. Here is why:

: On page 111 of the Flock book under the heading "What kind of evidence is acceptable? " is written,

: "If there are two or three witnesses to the same kind of wrongdoing but each one is witness to a separate incident, their testimony can be considered. Such evidence may be used to establish guilt, but it is preferable to have two witnesses to the same occurrence of wrongdoing."

: Those words are plain enough that, in the JW judiciary, the word of two witnesses of the same type of sin but on separate occasions is acceptable evidence, that is, it can be put into evidence by being heard and weighed, which is what "considered" means in context. Whether this type of evidence can determine guilt (which is the question!) is soundly answered in the affirmative. Whether evidence offered by these two witnesses is enough to determine guilt does, of course, depends upon the actual testimony. This type of testimony may establish guilt just as a confession may establish guilt (See preceding pars. on same page of Flock book.) Again, whether guilt of a serious offense is established depends upon what is actually confessed/testified to.

Good points. I fouled up by not writing clearly what I meant. What I meant is different from what I actually said. I meant: No statements appear in private, elders-only Watchtower literature directing that they are required to convict someone of molestation on the testimony of two witnesses to two separate molestation events.

Indeed, the Flock book allows such evidence to be considered, but that simply means that they can use it or not, as they please, to convict. This is quite different from evidence from two or more eyewitnesses to the same event, which is much stronger in the minds of all Jehovah's Witnesses because this is discussed at length in publicly available literature. Indeed, the notion that "at the mouth of two or three witnesses let every matter be established" is so ingrained in JW thinking that it is quite unclear to most JWs how to deal with marginal cases like having two witnesses to separate incidents. This is emphasized by the statement you quoted: "It is preferable to have two witnesses to the same occurrence of wrongdoing." That goes without saying. I think that in the case of child molestation, where the tradition has been to keep things quiet and in-house, this is a way of "poisoning the well" -- making it significantly less likely that the testimony of two such witnesses will be accepted.

It's clear to anyone who has been a JW that elders are required to convict someone of a sin on the basis of two or more witnesses to that sin. The Flock books makes it optional to convict someone on the basis of two or more witnesses to separate events. That is what I meant to convey in my first post.

: As for your quandary of what "may constitute sufficient evidence," the sentences are clear that the word of two witnesses of the same type sin but on separate occasions is sufficient evidence to establish guilt . On this issue there is no ambiguity as you later claim.

There is indeed ambiguity, as I hope I've clearly conveyed. This ambiguity is demonstrable, although I'm not going to go into details of actual cases at this time. Let me give you an example and you tell me how the Society's Service and/or Legal departments would direct elders to handle it. There was a case in Woodland, Washington about five years ago where a JW man was arrested for and confessed to molesting 35 boys over a 20 year period in congregations in his area. I assume that the molester was convicted and imprisoned but I lost track of the case. Now just suppose that the man, instead of confessing, was convicted in court on the testimony of, say, five of his victims. Would local elders be required to convict this man in a JW judicial proceeding? Or would they have the option of saying, "Well, we don't have the required two or three witnesses so there's nothing we can do"?

: Since those words represent current direction for elders then your number 2 is false since they are private Watchtower literature directing that elders can convict someone of molestation on the testimony of two witnesses to two separate molestation events.

I'll appreciate your comments on my revision of number 2.

: Significantly, your upcoming number 4 comment serves somewhat as a public Watchtower statement to the same effect, which would then weaken your number 1 comment to the contrary.

[blockquote][hr] (4) The only definite statements about two witnesses to two separate events of molestation appear in the November 1, 1995 Watchtower that dealt with the subject of repressed memories of child abuse. The article defined "repressed memories" essentially as memories that were forgotten for a period of time, and which then resurfaced an unspecified number of years later. The article specifically stated that two such witnesses are not sufficient evidence to convict someone of child molestation. [hr][/blockquote]

: You are correct about the overall context of the comments in question, they are speaking of the controversial "repressed memories." It should be noted that comments you allude to definitely are not applied to the common direct memories that we all have and which the JW judiciary routinely accepts as valid testimony. Indeed all testimony accepted is of such typical memory! In the article, unlike "repressed memories," the typical memory is not deemed controversial in terms of validity. So, when the article directs that "Even if more than one person "remembers" abuse by the same individual, the nature of these recalls is just too uncertain to base judicial decisions on them without other supporting evidence " it is not directing that the word of two witnesses with typical memories would not suffice as indicated in the Flock book.

This article is, in my view, an example of how the Society manages to poison the well without being able to be held accountable. Back in 1995 when the article first came out, I and a number of critics were aghast at what it said. We argued vehemently with certain JW-defenders, including a particular elder, that it allowed for virtually all memories of abuse to be classed as "repressed memories" and dismissed. When the January 1, 1997 WT article came out instructing that "known molesters" could never serve in positions of congregational responsibility, many of us saw this as a reversal of the position not-quite-stated in the November 1, 1995 WT. How do you suppose we all came to these conclusions? Do you think we just made them up? Or were they the product of knowing how to read between the lines and figure out exactly what the Society really means?

You know very well how the Society operates. One can claim that technically the Society never told young men not to join the military, but those who were disfellowshipped for doing it know different. One can claim that technically the Society never told young JWs not to go to college, and in a certain sense one would be right. But we who followed the Society's non-advice know different. When in 1992 the Society reversed its non-policy of advising against going to college, was there an explicit statement of reversal? Of course not, because there never was an explicit statement of such a policy to begin with. So all that needed to be done to reverse the non-policy was tell JWs in that article that they shouldn't judge those parents who allowed their children to go to college. And viola! No more non-policy.

The fact is that the 1995 WT article contains statements that can be used to dismiss virtually any charges of remembered child molestation. Just how long should a memory be forgotten to be classified as repressed? 30 years? 20? 5? 1? Six months? Six weeks? The article doesn't say, and so it gives free rein to elders to figure it out for themselves.

Suppose a girl was molested from infancy to age ten. Suppose she never forgot the molestation, but simply put it aside. At age 25 she decides to report the molestation to elders. What will the elders do? Will they pull out the 1995 WT article and say, "Oh, those are just repressed memories! We can do nothing." Suppose the woman talks to a girlfriend, who also "directly" remembers molestation by the same villain around the same time 15-25 years earlier. Suppose this woman now reports the molestation to the same elders. What will the elders do? What standard would they apply to decide whether the women's memories are "direct" or "repressed"? I think the answer is clear: the women would be told, "You have repressed memories. It's all very sad, but we can do nothing".

: Significantly the sentence in question begins with "Even if." This indicates that a policy exists that would otherwise accept the testimony of two witnesses of the same type sin on separate occasions, which undermines your number 1 comment. Indeed this happens all the time, oftentimes in cases of child molestation. It is not uncommon for an accused to have more than one victim make accusations of acts that happened 1-20 or 30 years ago and the person be disfellowshipped on that testimony even though it was of separate incidents.

I have no doubt that there are such cases. But combine them with the cases that were mishandled and what have we got? A fuzzy policy that tends to err on the side of the perpetrator. Note well that this is a tendency not a hard and fast rule.

That "even if" doesn't undermine my comment 1 at all. In fact, it underscores it, because if there really is the policy you've claimed and it really does act the way you claim, then it is all the stranger that no explicit public statements along the lines mentioned in comment 1 exist. The most you can say is that publicly and privately stated policies don't match.

: This also happens in cases of marital infidelity. It is not uncommon for a wife to suspect adultery and then one witness comes forward and testifies to that effect with the husband denying it. This is noted and later (even years later) if another witness comes forward and testifies to the man’s infidelity on a different occasion then the burden of proof has been met and the woman is free to remarry if she chooses.

I know that this happens and I see it as another illustration of double standards at work. The Society has traditionally been very concerned with various forms of adultery, and this concern is reflected in the many WT articles about it. Judging by the number of Watchtower articles that encourage proactive reporting of adultery, compared to the number encouraging proactive reporting of child molestation, I think that everyone can see where the Society's priorities lie.

: I know you are in contact with an ex-elder that disputes this information, but it is nevertheless true.

Again, I think that both things are true, since there is enough ambiguity in Society tradition and written policy that widely different interpretations are possible of any given child abuse situation.

[blockquote][hr] (5) In Kingdom Ministry Schools in 1994, elders were orally instructed that in cases of child sexual molestation, two witnesses to the same event were required to establish guilt. This cleared up the ambiguity in the Flock book. [hr][/blockquote]

: I don’t know where you got that information from, but it is exactly opposite of what was said, or at least what was supposed to have been said. The school actually reiterated what was already in print in the Flock book. If anything otherwise were said then elders would have been instructed to make an annotation on that page of their books. No elder made such an annotation because none like it was given.

Not having been there myself, I'm only reporting what several have told me. I asked about this, but they were quite sure that they heard right.

That's the trouble with the way the Society does business with elders. So much is secret or highly confidential. The BOE letters are often marked "CONFIDENTIAL" and no copies are supposed to be made. A lot of important material is given orally and supposed to be written down in the margins of the Flock book. The system is virtually designed for misunderstanding. Given the Society's good organizational skills in other areas, I can only conclude that they want it this way so as to make it difficult to be pinned down. But by protecting themselves, they have done a grave disservice to their 'flock'.

: Actually, in writing, the idea of accepting the testimony of two witnesses to separate but similar acts goes back at least to 1977 where virtually the same instruction was provided in that year’s version of the Flock book. (See page 69) Besides that, since 1997/8 circuit overseers have covered this same information with congregational elder bodies and reaffirmed the same information.

: Their was no ambiguity cleared up because there is no ambiguity as you claim.

I'll attempt to verify this through other channels. Meanwhile, without some kind of written documentation, I don't quite trust your comments as fully representative of what has been said. I've noted below that you didn't refer to some of the most important material in BOE letters on protecting known molesters from exposure when they move congregations.

[blockquote][hr] (6) No statements appear in public Watchtower literature telling JWs in a positive way that reporting sexual abuse to secular authorities is desirable. [hr][/blockquote]

: That is not true. The March 8th Awake of 1993 does make the recommendation that victims of rape (rape is sexual abuse!)

Come on, Friend. We've been over this before. You're making this sort of logical error:

Good citizens are required to report murder to the police.
    Murder is a crime.
    Changing lanes without signaling is a crime.
    Therefore good citizens must be required to report bad signalers to the police.

What's wrong with that logic is the same as what's wrong with your logic.

Rape is just one of many forms of child abuse. Furthermore, according to the laws of many states, rape implies violence, and most child molestation is not violent. Indeed, the molester often gains the confidence and even cooperation of his victim. The Awake! article says nothing whatsoever about such situations.

Any intelligent reader can see that the Awake! article on rape is oriented towards the violent rape of adult or near-adult women. It has nothing to do with non-violent molestation of a child. Proofs:

(1) The title of the series is "Rape: A Woman's Nightmare".
    (2) The introductory comments on page 2 ask, "What can women do to avoid rape?"
    (3) The introductory paragraph on page 3 states that in the time it takes a reader to read that page, a woman "will be terrorized by an act of violence and degradation".
    (4) The 2nd paragraph on page 3 states, "Rape is the fastest growing violent crime in the United States."
    (5) Paragraph 5 on page 3 comments on attitudes that result in the increase of rape: "Such violent and aggressive attitudes ..."
    (6) Paragraph 4 on page 4 states "that rape is a senseless act of violence that can happen to anybody".
    (7) Paragraph 6 on page 5 states: "Rape is an act of violence. Men rape, not solely for sex, but to feel power over another person." (Think of a father performing oral sex on his infant son and tell me if he's doing it for sexual or violent purposes.)
    (8) Paragraph 10 on page 5 states that rape involves violence: "False reports of rape occur at the same rates as for any other violent crime."
    (9) The entire 2nd article in the series, "How to Prevent Rape", tells adult women how to avoid rape-prone situations.
    (10) Paragraph 1 on page 6 states: "Rape is a growing threat, and a woman's best defense is to be aware and prepared." Can a year-old infant be aware and prepared?
    (11) Paragraph 2 on page 6 states: "The best way to avoid a rape situation is to avoid rapists." How can a year-old infant avoid being in the same house with her pedophile father?
    (12) Paragraph 1 on page 8 states: "Fighting back can be difficult for women because they have been conditioned for a lifetime to be polite, passive, and submissive even when threatened by physical force. Therefore, you need to decide ahead of time that you will resist." Does that sound like a description of what a child could do, or of advice for dealing with a child molester?
    (13) The entire 3rd article in the series, "How to Cope With Rape", tells adult women how to cope with rape.
    (14) Paragraph 2 in that article on page 8 states: "Since she was hurt by someone she trusted, she is also more likely to blame herself and to doubt her ability to judge others." Does that sound like advice applicable for an abused infant?
    (15) The sidebox titled "If You Are Raped" on page 9 gives advice explicitly designed for adult women not for children or the guardians of abused children. The advice is decidedly not applicable to molestation that comes to light years after the event.
    (16) The 3rd article has subsections titled "Coping With Fear and Depression" and "Redirecting Anger". Clearly these have nothing to do with the molestation of a small child.

This Awake! article is nowhere referenced in the Society's "Publication Indexes" under the topic "Child Abuse" or anything like that. Therefore anyone researching the topic "child abuse" will not find the article listed as a resource.

The various letters to bodies of elders having to do with child molestion pointedly contain no references to this Awake! article. The reason is obvious: the Society does not consider your application valid.

The laws of many states don't consider many forms of child sexual abuse to be rape, because they define rape as violent sexual assault. If a pedophile grandfather inserts his fingers into the vagina of his year-old granddaughter, in Colorado he'd be charged with "sexual assault on a minor" and not with rape. So in Colorado, elders researching what to do with a "digital rapist" would find nothing in the Society's literature telling them in a positive way to report that sexual abuse. They would not be required either by state law or by anything in Watchtower literature to consider such "fondling" as rape.

If you disagree with my assessment, then by all means show where in any Watchtower publications general sexual molestion, including "fondling", is equated with "rape".

: should be encouraged to report the act to authorities. That article does not place a restriction on how long after the fact it can or should be thusly reported. It just says to make the report as soon as the victim is able to. In the case of children that could be years, and indeed that is the case!

I'm sure that in some cases, enlightened elders have taken it upon themselves to apply that article as you've said, but we're talking about general Watchtower policy here, not isolated instances where the policy was skirted around. I already told you that one elder I contacted had no conception that this article could be applied to general child molestation. That's because the Society itself, as proved by the lack of references to it in various Indexes, doesn't apply it that way.

: Furthermore, assertions that that recommendation is made to the exclusion of JW perpetrators are just plain absurd -- there is no such exclusionary language in that article or anywhere else regarding such serious criminal offenses. Such an assertion (not that you made it) is no more than reading a conclusion into the text!

I know nothing of anyone making an assertion that JW perps should be excluded. But whether someone did or not is irrelevant. The article is pointedly not about child molestation, but about violent rape of adult children. It is entirely irrelevant to discussions of child molestation.

: In fact other articles point out that congregations will not protect someone from such exposure to criminal prosecuting authorities.

That's a Good Thing! I should point out that this is a very new policy.

: Significantly, regarding the crime of sexual child molestation, your favored 1995 Watchtower article states, "A person who actually abuses a child sexually is a rapist and should be viewed as such." (Page 27)

The writer, as I have demonstrated, is wrong and is obviously merely expressing his opinion. Whether sexual abuse is classified as rape depends on the state or country in which the abuse was committed, and the Society has certainly never given a clear exposition.

The fact is that the 1985-1995 Publications Index has no references to that article under the subject "rape". And under "child abuse, sexual abuse" that Index has no entries for rape that reference that article. Therefore no elder researching our topic will find "rape" and "sexual abuse" equated. The WT-CDROM hardly counts because the Society knows that the bulk of the world's elders don't have computers, but they do have the printed Indexes. I doubt that any letters to bodies of elders say what you're claiming about sexual abuse and rape. You could verify that and post your comments.

: So, if you want to go by Society policy, that means that such victims are actually encouraged by the Society to report their victimization to authorities because it is rape.

I've shown that this is decidedly not Society policy. It may be that various people are now trying to claim -- after the fact -- that one can get such ideas out of the material you've presented, but that's a real stretch.

: How will elders find this material? The same way you and I did, of course.

Not hardly. We happen to be particularly close to the situation. And again, as I've told you, my contact with certain otherwise fine elders showed that they had no idea at all, other than "call Service", what to do about a case of child molestation or how to go about researching it in Society publications.

[blockquote][hr] The Society's policies clearly are designed to protect the Society first and foremost, first by meeting the bare minimum legal standard for each state or country, and then by allowing as many molesters as possible to remain hidden from public exposure. [hr][/blockquote]

: Under the Society’s policies, if a person is substantively accused of child molestation then a judicial committee is formed and all sorts of hard questions will be asked of the accused. Beside that there is a record made regardless of whether the individual is proven guilty under the JW judiciary or not. Do you know what happens to that record? It remains in the congregations file permanently just in case it is needed for later judicial action. (om 145; BOE letters dated 9/20/84 and 7/20/98) If a person is found guilty of child molestation then besides whatever civil and criminal penalties might be levied at the behest of a victim or victims, as far as possible, they will be followed with the information to whatever congregation of JWs they ever move to. (BOE letter 3/14/97)

All well and good, but irrelevent to my point, as I will show.

: So, by design the Society’s policies do not allow "as many molesters as possible" to remain hidden from public exposure.

Indeed they do. When those records follow molestors around, elders are explicitly disallowed from telling anyone except other elders about the abuser. The only thing that elders are allowed to do publicly is to tell parents whose children appear to be getting too close to the abuser to keep their children away from the abuser, but this is supposed to be done in such a way as to avoid telling just why the parents should keep them away. Some parents will get the message but others won't pay much attention unless they know exactly why they're being requested to do it. When only elders know about the presence of a molester, because of confidentiality requirements, that is decidedly not public exposure. Indeed, due to "ecclesiastical privilege" such knowledge is by definition "privileged" and non-public. This is all proved by the BOE letter dated 3/14/97 (p. 2):
    [blockquote] What should elders do whan a former child molester moves to another congregation? ... our policy is always to send a letter of introduction when a publisher moves to another congregation... [b]Any needed cautions should be provided to the new congregation's body of elders. This letter should not be read to or discussed with the congregation.

This information should be kept in the congregation's confidential files where it can be reviewed by any elder. [/blockquote]

The absolutely secret nature of the information quoted above is emphasized by the closing "P.S." in the 3/14/97 BOE letter:
    [blockquote] Elders should not discuss this information with others. It is provided so that you can appropriately apply the spirit of the Scriptural information in the January 1, 1997 Watchtower article "Let Us Abhor What Is Wicked." [/blockquote]

If the Society has nothing to hide about its policies on child molestation, then why such secrecy? This secrecy, as far as I'm concerned, is absolute proof of my comment 6.

The fact that some elders have enough sense to sidestep the Society's policy on confidentiality is beside the point.

: Certainly the Society’s policies should be more proactive in the area of encouraging of reporting, but don’t overlook the fact that the JW judiciary is in addition to whatever other type of judicial review an offender might have to face.

Yes, assuming the person has reported to authorities at all, which we have seen is either not encouraged by the Society (except in the case of out and out rape of an adult), or is actively discouraged by many JWs who are acting in accord with Society tradition.

: Certainly the JW judiciary provides more in the way of an internal investigation and action than probably most other religions do. This means that, in terms of shunning, the JW system is more aggressive than most others when child abusers are found out. Do you know another religion that, as a matter of policy, takes it upon itself to follow a member’s moves in order to send warning letters to other congregations about the individual?

Not being very familiar with the internal workings of other religions, my opinion wouldn't be worth much. What I can say is that I have enough detailed knowledge of specific cases to say that the Society's system failed those people, and I keep hearing more and more about other cases that only confirm it.

I think that it's a case not terribly different from what got the Catholic Church in hot water. No one is going to accuse the Church of actively supporting child molesters. But they certainly have been validly convicted of putting Church interests first and victims' interests second. They did this by covering up abuse and by reassigning abusive priests to new parishes and failing to warn parishioners about the abusers. This is particularly odious in the Church's case because the priest is the head honcho in a parish. But it's not all that different when an abusive JW moves around and the congregation is not informed of his predatious tendencies. And remember -- it was only in 1997 and only after a good deal of internal wrangling -- over and above the objections of certain odious JW leaders -- that the Society finally decided not to allow molesters positions of responsibility. So really, how much better is the JW organization than the Catholic Church in this regard?

: PS Alan, I passed on your request. That is all I can responsibly do. You should know what I mean.

Fair enough. I promise to take my teeth out.

AlanF

• ICHING
    ICHING

Hi Focus,

pleased to make your acquaintance - between you and JT there's some deep insight happening down this thread.

Re: F iend,Xandit et. all

difficult to make out -

either these person/s have piss take down par excellenceor they are real.

Read in the former context their posts are at least almost K Mart Danielle -

read in the latter - profoundly disturbing.

I doubt the former - there's not enough wit in the sub text going on - especially in F iends, acute lack of it, case.

Until evidence proves otherwise - I'm afraid I'll have to classify them in the profoundly disturbing if not plain outright dangerous category.

Also - I'm not sure that your use of the term bi-polarised in describing them from time to time is the most apt.

It seems to me - that by use of this term - you're inferring that these persons "minds" possess both -

second hand (Brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists) AND

original (their own) thought - in more or less some proportion?

The word CLONE more closely approximates the "self" portraits they paint with "their" "erudite posts" in my opinion.

A superb example being F iends post following the guitar pickers below.

Whilst appreciating both the sincerity and wisdom of JT's comments put forth earlier I tend to agree with yourself -

and working off of the assumption that F iend/Xandit truly believe what they write -

we are dealing with a couple of - beyond the point of all return lost causes here.

Yep! - lost causes!!

I'm afraid to have to notify yourself and everyone else here but all evidence - ie. "their" posts - indicates F iend/Xandit aint ever coming back to rejoin the human race!!!

(that is if they ever belonged to it to begin with!!!!)

They are too far gone for us to reach them.

I mean of course to reach the F iend/Xandit -

known prior conscious donation of their complete beings

to a Brooklyn based book publishing companies

twelve uptight american male
    white supremacist ethnocentric
    puritan board of fascists
    whose use by date expired somewhere
    around the dawn of time.

There is no former real self left "within" F iend/Xandit -

like so much vermin "their dangerous own personalities"

(which may question the politics (fascism) of the publishing machine)

have been eradicated by the pest controllers otherwise known as

the Brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists.

F iend/Xandit exemplify the worst cases of mind control I've had the misfortune to encounter.

They are thoroughly completely and totally indoctrinated into the Brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists domain of non self/non identity-dom.

With respect JT - cancer is also a matter of degree, especially the terminal stage

it eventually just crosses a point where the question is

how fast you're dying..

Any rememberance by F iend/Xandit of their real self no longer exists

If by some undefinable fraction of chance
    for some indefinable fraction of a moment
    a nano particle of their real selves
    or real truth ever surfaced

into "their" consciousness - thats OK -

they've been taught to abhor & despise it - and revert back to what they really oughta be thinking instead -

proper Brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists thought.

Science fiction nightmares don't come any better than that.

What makes matters worse with F iend/Xandit is the fact that this condition of non self-dom is willfully
    consciously
    voluntarily self perpetuated
    inflicted & exacerbated.

( I refer you to the "Happiness - How To Cope With It" book for a comprehensive discourse on the perils of exacerbation. )

F iend/Xandit are so far out there on the
    deep dark pitch black
    frontiers of non self-dom

that not even a person with veritable Hubble telescope like powers of rationale has a hope in hell of ever reaching

( talking sense ) to them.

They've enthusiastically donated themselves to the Brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists to be

indoctrinated into a blackhole
    sucked down a wormhole
    then spat infinite light years
    into a dimension
    void of anything resembling
    real human beings with real original thoughts and a
    real original conscience and a
    real original...etc.

Right where they wanna be!!!

I mean they think they're where they think they wanna be

which is where their owners want them to be -
    their possessors -

a Brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists.

Specifically:

Non cognition of non self-dom -

(or when you don't know that you don't exist because those responsible for your thinking that way have you think to the contrary)

F iend/Xandit think that the brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists thoughts are

"their" (F iends/Xandits) own.

That this is "their mindset" is evident with every sentence F iend/Xandit post here.

More correctly between the lines of every vacuous sentence they post.

F iends/Xandits posts simply serve to reinforce the entrenched Brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists fascism that now

eats sleeps and breathes, by consent
    wholesale "within" F iend/Xandit.

The only way out of the conundrum F iend/Xandit are in is to admit they've been hoodwinked

judging by F iends next post below I can't see that happening real soon.

Focus - you are exceedingly cool - right now though I've gotta blow a J and watch an Andrew Blake film (PARIS CHIC) http://www.andrewblake.com

I worship women.

- looking forward to more of your brilliance.

ICHING

PS: F iend, give my regards to Ray & Cynthia.

The obvious lose, the inscrutable win.

Edited by - iching on 11 March 2001 7:7:2

• TR
    TR

Friend,

While I think the Society’s policies may sometimes have the effect of protecting perpetrators it is hard to tell if that protection is to the point of erring toward that protection. Let me explain.
    "Hard to tell"? It's quotes like this one that give me the impression that you are caught up in the defense of WTS legalisms and not the reality of what is happening. I left out the rest of your post to save space, so if anyone wants to read it, it's just above a couple of posts. It has been clearly demonstrated that there exists a certain mentality of protecting the WTS first and foremost. Even the WTS's ambiguously stated rules point that way. And, your example of the domestic abuse case is not comparing apples to apples.

Hey, if your purpose is to bring about changes to the WTS, I commend you. But I think the WTS will take their own sweet time resulting in much more harm than necessary. The WTS, imo, needs to be brought down hard and fast.

Some people want to learn these ins and outs because they are trying to DO SOMETHING about the problem. Are you, or are you just TALKING about it?

Why do you think I participate in these forums? Helping to expose the WTS is really all I can do. I had a woman email me in response to a local news website that I posted a comment about regarding a JW family that was killed by their son in my area. This woman was curious about JW's, having talked to them at the door. She wanted to get my perspective as an x-JW. I was glad to do so.

So yes, I'm talking about it. Hopefully I might have made a difference somewhere. I think trying to reform the WTS is a lost cause. I would rather see people leave the WTS, than continue to live a lie. Do you really think the WTS is God's channel? Why spin your wheels for a bogus religion?

TR

• Friend
    Friend

AlanF

: Our views are not all that far apart. I don’t think Focus’ and mine are all that far apart either,

On the basics, I agree. In the details, well, you know. :-)

My detailing is for purposes of helping those in need of it. If they wish to reject that detailing based upon their own interpretation of words, personal experience or the experience of others then that is their prerogative, but it does not change what is written in Society publications, my own knowledge of what Society policy is or my own experience with it, which experience is close and significant. It is interesting to read your take on various details in our back and forth. Apparently at your whim you decide whether to accept a written statement as valid (or not) to suit your conclusions. In some cases you use the Society’s writing as evidence of your claims. In other instances you reject Society writings that are contrary to your claims by wholesale dismissal. In effect you are saying, "When the Society agrees with me then its words are valid but when they disagree with me then their words are invalid." I would not describe that as objective, and such actions can have a bad effect on your initiatives.

So it is with the policies regarding child molestation. The erring in the direction you describe proves the Society's intent -- which is to keep molestation cases quiet so as to avoid adverse publicity for the Witnesses.

The only other reasonable intent would be deliberately to protect molesters, do you not agree?

The Society errs toward self-preservation by not encouraging that victims report their allegations to authorities. This does not mean that they prefer that they not be reported but that victim are left to do that on their own rather than having the moral support of local elders behind them. As policy the Society has made the choice to leaving the prerogative of reporting up to the victim (or parents) but they have failed to explicitly instruct elders to encourage victims to report these crimes to proper authorities. I do not think this policy is any more protective of pedophiles than a religious organization that has decided that it will not become involved in the process at all, which many have. Can you imagine what goes through a pedophiles mind upon hearing of the internal judicial process at work among Jehovah’s Witnesses? Can you imagine a pedophile wanting to expose himself to an organization that pursues reports of immoral behavior? The ultimate test of whether pedophiles are drawn to JWs boils down to that question, that is, whether they want to be associated with an organization that pursues reports of immoral behavior.

: But we apparently disagree on whether those policies err toward protecting perpetrators. While I think the Society’s policies may sometimes have the effect of protecting perpetrators it is hard to tell if that protection is to the point of erring toward that protection.

If there is ever any "effect of protecting perpetrators" at all, whether by design or by neglect, then there is simply nothing to argue: the policy by definition errs towards protecting perpetrators.

That is simply poppy-cock! It sounds good for your case to be able to say such a thing but reality is that the same could be said for any judicial system in the civilized world! The fact of the matter is that any judicial system that holds the accused innocent until proven guilty does then protect pedophiles by your applied logic! That is precisely the point of my last response to you having to do with standards of evidence! I see you missed the point.

Again, the intent of those who actually put the words of the policies on paper are largely irrelevant. If the effect of their words and their actual implementation of their words by their instructions to the lower-level 'managers' who actually carry them out is to sometimes protect the bad guys, then the real policy has the effect of tending to protect the bad guys.

No, the intent of those who put the policies on paper is exactly the point because those are the ones you accuse and are after. Am I wrong about who you accuse? If lower level ‘managers’ are doing something other then following policy then they are doing just that, failing to follow policy. In such instances then the ‘higher-ups’ are culpable only if they know of it and condone it. If that can be sufficiently evidenced then you have what you need. Otherwise you have not demonstrated culpability of those ‘higher-ups’ and thus you have not established any effect of tending to protect the bad guys as the real policy.

Conversely, if the policy tended to err on the side of the victims, then there would tend to be a few cases where errors are made to the disadvantage of alleged perpetrators.

One reason for laws tending to protect perpetrators is this simple fact: We cannot change the fact that a person or persons were victimized but we do have a good measure of choice about how likely we are to victimize an additional person or persons by erring in standards of evidence and burden of proof.

In the experience of everyone who has so far seen fit to comment publicly, which tendency dominates? Does not this observation of how Watchtower policy works in actual practice prove my contention?

Yes, in the case of people who have seen fit to come forward to Society critics, most certainly that is the case. Why should the rest come forward to Society critics when they are not critical? Duh! I know of more cases off the top of my head where victims were pleased with how their situations were dealt with than critical ones I have read online in the last month. So, should I apply your reasoning and decide that the tendency is otherwise? Thank goodness I have more objective reasons for my criticisms on this subject.

Many have concluded that, because of the secret and insidious nature of child molestation, and the mind games that molesters play with children, the "some evidence" should be a bit less stringent than for cases of crime against adults. The Society doesn't seem to understand this.

If the Society made it policy that elders should encourage that victims report such allegations to authorities then this situation would be moot. If you are talking strictly about what weight of evidence the Society insists upon for internal findings then, when it comes to witnesses, what less would you accept beyond two witnesses of similar yet separate events? (More on the latter point to follow)

However, many cases prove that elders have actively discouraged reporting. Have they done that simply of their own initiative? Usually, not at all. What they've done is to take everything they've learned at the Society's hand and integrate it to come to an overall mindset of discouraging reporting so as to avoid "bringing reproach on Jehovah's name". Given that Watchtower leaders are well aware that these attitudes are common among elders, the fact that they haven't corrected such attitudes strongly suggests that they're happy with the situation. This, despite having made some noises that it's ok to report. Inaction is a very good indicator of intent.

Yes, in many cases elders have discouraged reporting. That is precisely one of the reasons why elders were told to call the Society immediately upon hearing accusations of child molestation, so that they could be told explicitly not to discourage this type of reporting. If my assertion here is correct it is easy enough for you to verify, and if I am correct then your conclusions above are lacking in merit. You apparently trust this other elder you are working with more than me, which is fine and I have no problem with that. According to him he has judicial experience in dealing with the Society on matters of reported child molestation. Ask him if the Society did not tell him point blank not to discourage reporting. Ask him. If he is as experienced as he claims and if he tells you the truth then I have no question about what his answer will be.

We're not just talking about what the Service department does, but about what the Society's entire "judicial arm" does. This "arm" includes all elders, since they are explicitly appointed by the Society to be its local representatives in matters of 'congregational justice'.

It is true that the Society’s entire judicial arm includes all elders, but I am not addressing all elders but rather the central controlling organization that your criticisms are leveled at. As I expressed above in this post, if you want to criticize the ‘higher-ups’ for actions of the lower ‘managers’ then you have to sufficiently evidence a connection making those ‘higher-ups’ culpable. There is some evidence of this nature but curiously you have not picked up on it. I will explain the nature of this evidence later if you do not eventually see it, but I am hoping that you will put your objective ‘thinking-cap’ on to realize it for yourself because that is the means that will best suit your needs.

Since it is demonstrable that elders, and even the Service department, often act inconsistently from case to case and in different parts of the world, it follows that there a number of sets of rules that these people are following, or at least think they're following. To contradict this would be to claim that the elders who act inconsistently are deliberately ignoring Society policy. While this certainly happens, it is clear to anyone who knows Jehovah's Witnesses that most elders would be horrified to be accused of doing that.

That claim is not altogether a valid one because not only is each case unique but around the world there are so many different local circumstances and some of those circumstances practically insist upon different actions in terms of involvement of secular authorities. As for Society policy on the strictly internal judiciary, one fundamental piece of advice that the Society constantly reminds elders of is that each case should be judged on its own merits and that no two cases are identical. Sometimes those variances may seem small but sometimes small distinctions make the difference between one choice versus another. That too affects your claim above. It is better to examine any hard evidence that exists about Society policy and then build a case of culpability upon that, if that can be done sufficiently, and I think it can be. From what I can tell, so far what you have done is decided what you think the Society has done (or does) and then looked for evidence in support. Evidence that runs contrary to your conclusion you simply dismiss! What you need to do is let the evidence speak to you and then assign blame accordingly. In the end an objective assignment of blame must accommodate all the evidence.

(1) No statements appear in public Watchtower literature directing that elders can convict someone of molestation on the testimony of two witnesses to two separate molestation events. [hr][/blockquote]

I take it you agree with this statement.

This fact immediately raises an important question: If the Society feels, as you claim, that it is permissible to convict someone of child molestation based on such testimony, then why is this fact hidden from the rank and file of Jehovah's Witnesses? Would it not be good for the protection of children if the parents (non-elders, of course) were clearly informed of this? And isn't it clear that if such parents were so informed, they would be significantly more likely to compare notes with other parents to see if the molester of their child also molested other children? So why do you suppose this information is kept eyes-only for elders?

I do not know of any obvious place where the Society talks about this detail in its public publications. What of it? Constantly the Society writes about having two witnesses to establish guilt. What would make a publisher think that because two persons witnessed the same crime on two separate occasions that that is not enough? Man, you really are straining at gnats on this one, Alan! Do you think for one second that a ‘cheated on’ JW wife would hesitate to take the word of two persons to her local elder body simply because they saw her husband doing another woman on separate occasions? If those witnesses were solid, do you really believe she would accept anything other than acceptance of the testimony from those elders? Do you really believe what you are saying here, that because this detail is not outlined that JWs somehow reject the notion, somehow think this is unacceptable or that it never dawns on them that this is the case? I got news for you. When a JW feels they have the goods on you for whatever reason, they come knocking on the elders’ doors! For that matter, JWs are taught not to even wait to have two witnesses! If they have a single witness or are the witness themselves then they are taught to tell elders! Since that is true then your concerns about the subject detail are meaningless!

No statements appear in private, elders-only Watchtower literature directing that they are required to convict someone of molestation on the testimony of two witnesses to two separate molestation events.

What? They are not required to "convict" on anything other than acceptable evidence! What is acceptable evidence? Acceptable evidence includes "two or three witnesses to the same kind of wrongdoing but each one is witness to a separate incident." That is what the Flock book states.

What you intimate is that in each listed case of acceptable evidence there is somehow a distinction between those listed items that require conviction versus those that do not require conviction. If we apply that reasoning then not even one of the evidences so listed "requires to convict." What the listing does is tell elders which types of evidence they can use for establishing guilt, but in each case they must weigh the actual testimony. This even includes confession! Sometimes the accused does confess but what they confess to is less than a disfellowshipping offense. Upon hearing such confessions witnesses have been known to say, "Yes, that is exactly what I saw too!" At that point, if that is the whole case, then it is thrown out for lack of evidence of anything worthy of shunning! The case of two eye witnesses to the same event or different events is no different. In each case the testimony is weighed. If the testimony is solid and it definitely is of a disfellowshipping sin then the individual is found guilty of the charge whether the two witnesses were of the same or separate events.

Your whole line of reasoning on this question of two witnesses of separate event is circular. In the end your reasoning boils down to, "‘Acceptable evidence’ does not mean what it says because it is different from my own conclusion." I see no need to pursue this detail any further. Believe whatever you want. I am only trying to help and will not insist that you see it my way, which is what I think someone else you know is insisting upon. I hope it does not hurt their cause!

Let me give you an example and you tell me how the Society's Service and/or Legal departments would direct elders to handle it. There was a case in Woodland, Washington about five years ago where a JW man was arrested for and confessed to molesting 35 boys over a 20 year period in congregations in his area. I assume that the molester was convicted and imprisoned but I lost track of the case. Now just suppose that the man, instead of confessing, was convicted in court on the testimony of, say, five of his victims. Would local elders be required to convict this man in a JW judicial proceeding? Or would they have the option of saying, "Well, we don't have the required two or three witnesses so there's nothing we can do"?

Given the details you have provided and assuming the case warranted congregation involvement, if the testimony of two of those five victims was solid and of the same sin then the Society’s policy would be that elders accept is as the scriptural "two witnesses" needed to establish guilt. Only if the testimony was less than solid would elders have the task of deciding if it is enough, but that is also the case with eye witness testimony of the same event, which is what I have been trying to get across to you. You can call the Society today and they will tell you the same thing! Frankly, in your example, the testimony of the five would not be necessary because the individual apparently confessed to a shunnable crime! If the details you provided are solid, the case is real and there are no other circumstances to consider in terms of whether congregation action was needed, then, if the Society has stood behind any local decision that evidence is lacking then you have the case you are looking for.

This [1995 Watchtower] article is, in my view, an example of how the Society manages to poison the well without being able to be held accountable. Back in 1995 when the article first came out, I and a number of critics were aghast at what it said. We argued vehemently with certain JW-defenders, including a particular elder, that it allowed for virtually all memories of abuse to be classed as "repressed memories" and dismissed. When the January 1, 1997 WT article came out instructing that "known molesters" could never serve in positions of congregational responsibility, many of us saw this as a reversal of the position not-quite-stated in the November 1, 1995 WT. How do you suppose we all came to these conclusions? Do you think we just made them up? Or were they the product of knowing how to read between the lines and figure out exactly what the Society really means?

The reason those elders knew what that article was speaking of was because back in 1993 they had received a letter telling them to make a distinction of "individuals who only recently started to have memories of abuse that happened at a young age." (BOE letter of 2/3/93) What you are trying to do here is make a written statement mean something other than what it says. That subject 95’ Watchtower was explicit regarding the language you want to use that it was of the controversial type of recalled memory as opposed to the typical memories that we all have! Again you are applying circular logic. You are saying, "This must mean what I want it to mean because that is what supports my contention!"

I know very well that the Society has used innuendo to move the JW community into a given direction. But that is not the case on the subject of that 95’ Watchtower.

The fact is that the 1995 WT article contains statements that can be used to dismiss virtually any charges of remembered child molestation. Just how long should a memory be forgotten to be classified as repressed? 30 years? 20? 5? 1? Six months? Six weeks? The article doesn't say, and so it gives free rein to elders to figure it out for themselves.

That is absurd! Either the person has always had these memories or they have not. The article in question speaks skeptically only of instances of persons who had not thought of having been molested and then unexpectedly started having flashbacks of being molested as a child. This is very different from an adult who says, "Oh, yeah, I had forgotten that incident but now that I think of it this is what happened." There is nothing at all unexpected to the person about that type of recall because once they remember it they realize they were always cognizant of it! If an adult only recently and unexpectedly recalls an incident from childhood then just how sound that recollection is has even been challenged in the same courts of the land that you want child molestation cases reported to. Will you argue your same case to them? This situation is quite different from adults who know they were abused when a child because they were always cognizant of it, meaning that their judgment is not based upon unexpected flashbacks.

Suppose a girl was molested from infancy to age ten. Suppose she never forgot the molestation, but simply put it aside. At age 25 she decides to report the molestation to elders. What will the elders do? Will they pull out the 1995 WT article and say, "Oh, those are just repressed memories! We can do nothing."

If those elders act as you suggest then they are not acting in harmony with the 95’ article. If they call the Society as instructed they will be given the same explanation that I provided above (not that it should be needed) if it is a concern that they express. Again, the article is explicit that it speaks only of unexpected memories, which means they are not direct ones as in your example.

(6) No statements appear in public Watchtower literature telling JWs in a positive way that reporting sexual abuse to secular authorities is desirable.

: That is not true. The March 8th Awake of 1993 does make the recommendation that victims of rape (rape is sexual abuse!)

Come on, Friend. We've been over this before. You're making this sort of logical error:

Good citizens are required to report murder to the police.

Murder is a crime.

Changing lanes without signaling is a crime.

Therefore good citizens must be required to report bad signalers to the police.

What's wrong with that logic is the same as what's wrong with your logic.

The logical error here is yours, Alan. You said "No statements appear in public Watchtower literature telling JWs in a positive way that reporting sexual abuse to secular authorities is desirable." Unless you can successfully argue that rape is not sexual abuse then your response is in error.

Otherwise your error is again a critical one because you are picking and choosing your evidence in the Society’s publications. If you want to be critical of the Society’s expressed views then you must base your criticisms on the Society’s expressed views rather than your interpretations of those expressed views and certainty rather than your interpretations of select expressions from the Society.

The Society says: Report rape.
    The Society says: Sexual molestation of a child is rape
    Conclusion: Sexual molestation of a child should be reported.

If you want to be critical of what the Society says then be critical of what it actually says rather than your take on what it says. If you do the latter then you have applied circular reasoning.

As for the 93’ Awake article, it most definitely did address child rape as well as the rape of adults. I see that you conveniently left off highlighting those references from the article. You know, the ones that address minors or the ones where parents are encouraged to talk to their children about the issue.

As for the lack of explicitly referencing the 93’ Awake article, that is part of my gripe and it has to do with training, which has to do with culpability on the part of the Society.

: Significantly, regarding the crime of sexual child molestation, your favored 1995 Watchtower article states, "A person who actually abuses a child sexually is a rapist and should be viewed as such." (Page 27)

The writer, as I have demonstrated, is wrong and is obviously merely expressing his opinion. Whether sexual abuse is classified as rape depends on the state or country in which the abuse was committed, and the Society has certainly never given a clear exposition.

This is an instance of your poor reasoning on our subject matter. Whether the writer was right or wrong in your judgment or according to some locale’s statutes is irrelevant to the material. The question is, what is the Society’s view because that is what you are wanting to criticize! By dismissing the comment as wrong you are doing nothing short of saying, "What he says cannot be correct or else it would conflict with my conclusions!" Such reasoning runs a very tight circle. As stated the comment represents the Society’s view on the moral question of, "Is sexual molestation of a child rape?" The answer given is, "Yes."

Besides the above, your secular definitions of what constitutes rape only refer to locale’s that favor your view. As even you can imagine, other less developed areas of the world have a far more conservative estimation of what constitutes rape.

Friend

• ICHING
    ICHING

Focus -

see what I mean?

How much time do you think it took F iend to dig himself this much further deeper into his already irredeemable entrenchment & write the above piece of irrelevant nonsense essentially defending his entire beings ownership and possession by a Brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists?

Somebody tell me he's just a K-Mart Danielle - no one outside of a mental institution could really be walking around thinking, believing and perpetuating such BS could they?

Could they?

ICHING

PS: When in Las Vegas I stay at the Moonlight Bunny Ranch.

Edited by - iching on 11 March 2001 2:45:31

• TR
    TR

Friend,

I think I understand your defense. You believe the WTS to be God's org. Yet, you argue the society on the same playing field as secular law. Shouldn't God's org. be held to a higher standard? There are individuals in positions of trust that should be held to a higher standard. Shouldn't we expect that from God and his WTS?

TR

• Friend
    Friend

TR

I think I understand your defense. You believe the WTS to be God's org. Yet, you argue the society on the same playing field as secular law. Shouldn't God's org. be held to a higher standard? There are individuals in positions of trust that should be held to a higher standard. Shouldn't we expect that from God and his WTS?
    Defense? What the heck are you talking about? I am not trying to defend the Society! I am trying to convey correct information to those who are acting to attack the Society in order that they may do so with more effectiveness! How blind can you people be?

I do not believe the Society is God’s organization any more so than I think any one of a myriad of others is.

As for what we should expect, I most certainly do think we should expect more from the Society on this subject than they have done. Otherwise why do you think I would have made that complaint at least a hundred times on this thread alone?(!)

Now I will leave you and your cohorts to again sling mud on the very one offering help!

Friend

• Focus
    Focus

Friend blundered on Mar 10, 2001 at 12:50:04 AM:

views .. I don’t think Focus’ and mine are all that far apart either

Our views are as similar as are those of pedophile and of victim; we look at the same reality, but.. we have different true agendas.

if [Focus] were not apparently so determined to avoid my point for the sake of salvaging his own initial mistake
    I made no mistake. If you choose to use, in a most critical place, a term like "policy" (in your first question to me, for example) without defining what that term means when applied to a revisionist, weasel-wording and deceitful organization such as the Watchtower, you display only your own naivete at conducting a logical debate and deserve what followed. I knew what that would be and was laughing my head off as you charged in.

The March 8th Awake of 1993 does make the recommendation that victims of rape (rape is sexual abuse!) should be encouraged to report the act to authorities.. assertions that that recommendation is made to the exclusion of JW perpetrators are just plain absurd —there is no such exclusionary language in that article or anywhere else regarding such serious criminal offenses. Such an assertion (not that you made it) is no more than reading a conclusion into the text!
    Friend hearkens back yet again to same ONE quote. The question is whether or not a JW (possibly, a child victim of a pedophile, or one who was such a victim when a child) would apply the counsel in the Awake! AND override the counsel in the QFR I first quoted. Let us examine this.

Now, of course for his own convenience, the DECEITFUL F IEND wishes us to believe that a JW would BOTH:
    (a) read the counsel in Awake! about rape-reporting and apply it also to cases where the perpetrator was a JW (not an illogical step, as while the article does not mention JW-perpetrators it makes no attempt to specifically exclude them) AND

(b) read the counsel in the QFR about doing NOTHING that might bring reproach on the good name of the congregation, but decide to ONLY apply that advice when the matter giving rise to the trouble was a CIVIL matter (even though the article makes no attempt to specifically exclude criminal cases).

Keep re-reading until the penny hits the kerb: F iend's double-standard is amazing, isn't it? Of course, he dresses it up to conceal its nature, but that is his essential position! LOL! CAUGHT RED-HANDED!

Here are some of the reasons why the JW is likely to do just the opposite of what F iend postulates (again, Proof by Assertion – LOL!) he will:
    1. As without a question charges of child molestation would damage the congregation's alleged 'good name' far more than would civil cases, the advice in (b) would be taken to apply EVEN MORE STRONGLY (rather than not at all, as F iend would have you believe!) in a criminal case.
    2. My QFR in FOUR places made it clear that one was not to spoil the name of the Watchtower by involving outside authorities – and language chosen suggested this was a Fundamental Principle; the Awake! mentioned its point about reporting just once, in passim, and nowhere suggested that it was a key principle.
    3. At the time the Awake! was written, JWs comprised about 1 person out of every 1,200 people on earth – and, by JW propaganda, almost certainly the JW is the most peaceable, law-abiding, moral and decent of those 1,200 people! It is therefore most unlikely that it would even cross the mind of the reader that the rapist might be a JW: the QFR was specific as it applied only to intra-JW problems.
    4. The R&F have grown wary of listening to counsel from the FDS on the subject of rape, as on the question as to whether the attacked woman was scripturally required to resist, the shameful Watchtower has flip-flopped nearly a dozen times: another reason why the QFR might prevail.
    5. R&F JWs are trained not to improvise and commit overt acts without explicit, unambiguous and uncontradicted (lest they get caught in one of the dozens of rule conflicts) authorization: it comes with the territory of being meek and submissive – so the 'do not report' of the QFR prevails over the 'do report' of the Awake!, as the former is passive and less likely to bring down trouble on the head of the JW.

Do you know another religion that, as a matter of policy, takes it upon itself to follow a member’s moves in order to send warning letters to other congregations about the individual?
    I know of many! The Gestaporeligion, for one. Or haven't you realized what made Hitler turn against the JWs (despite the overtly anti-semitic, pro-Nazi material disseminated by Brooklyn) so early is that he saw in them an intolerable RIVAL? The Fuehrer knew instinctively that there was no room in the New Germany for another fascist, anti-democratic, totalitarian, extremist, interfering fundamental cult that demanded total, unquestioning loyalty. The Nazis and the Jehovah's Witnesses were too similar in hosts of details (yes, there were key differences too!).

You are beginning to sound as wild as Focus’.
    Yet another telling apostrophe, F iend?

I do not know why I am continuing to refute this proven rascal and to continue to highlight his intellectual deceit and profound misconduct. Was this a court case, a judge would have stopped proceedings long ago, on the grounds that I have more than proven my case already. So, it nmust be that I enjoy this.

To F iend: "GET OUT OF THE FILTHY WHORE!"

--
    Focus
    (Cool? Class)

• Focus
    Focus

I CHING wrote over a couple of posts:

Hi Focus, pleased to make your acquaintance - between you and JT there's some deep insight happening down this thread.

Thank you, and HI! back. AlanF too provides deep insight - though from time to time IMO his natural bonhomie makes him less intolerant than I of murderous whores.

F iend,Xandit .. either these person/s have piss take down par excellence or they are real.
    For F iend, you are aware that there is another possibility!

Read in the former context their posts are at least almost K Mart Danielle - read in the latter - profoundly disturbing. I doubt the former - there's not enough wit in the sub text going on - especially in F iends, acute lack of it, case.
    I add that "Danielle" is PB, i.e. Prominent Bethelite (=Danie11e in h2O), the anti-WT fanatic in Usenet, who came here to reveal how poor the defenses are at j-w.com! "Friend" is a more long-standing h2O/Witnut cult apologist (and, like all of his ilk, claims he is not defending, only showing weaknesses in our arguments, etc.). Friend is as likely to be AlanF or RF as to be PB.

Until evidence proves otherwise - I'm afraid I'll have to classify them in the profoundly disturbing if not plain outright dangerous category.
    Well, Xandit is plain ignorant and idiotic and is easily disposed of by most. F iend, adopting his fake erudite style, manages to con a few. Quite funny how he underestimated me at the start..

Also - I'm not sure that your use of the term bi-polarised in describing them from time to time is the most apt.
    Didn't think I had. The bipolar references were to certain people's perception of me (they confuse me with the Focus-of-Witnut for some reason - what's in a name?). F iend suffers from blackwhite and doublethink and cognitive dissonance.

Whilst appreciating both the sincerity and wisdom of JT's comments put forth earlier I tend to agree with yourself .. we are dealing with a couple of - beyond the point of all return lost causes here.. With respect JT - cancer is also a matter of degree, especially the terminal stage it eventually just crosses a point where the question is how fast you're dying..
    Well, F iend may or may not be lost forever - but he is beyond economic repair for sure. Resources are always scarce and should be employed where most needed. The reason for replying to F iend is for the benefit of watcherdom, for those "just in" or those about to hear the knock.

F iend/Xandit think that the brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists thoughts are "their" (F iends/Xandits) own. That this is "their mindset" is evident with every sentence F iend/Xandit post here.
    Which makes F iend view me as presumptuous for interpreting what the Whore wrote! After all, he "KNOWS" what they "MEANT"... No need to speculate.

Focus - you are exceedingly cool .. looking forward to more of your brilliance.
    ICHING
    Thanks for the undeserved compliments. And I ring them in too (the changes, that is).

F iend, give my regards to Ray & Cynthia.
    Likewise! No, I don't think Ray Franz can EVER fully atone for the wickedness of which he was a part. Full marks for trying, though.

Focus .. How much time do you think it took F iend to dig himself this much further deeper into his already irredeemable entrenchment & write the above piece of irrelevant nonsense essentially defending his entire beings ownership and possession by a Brooklyn based book publishing companies board of fascists?
    Somebody tell me he's just a K-Mart Danielle - no one outside of a mental institution could really be walking around thinking, believing and perpetuating such BS could they?
    Well, "Danielle" didn't. But this K-Mart "F iend" version is quite a different beast. By toeing the party line, Danielle was easy to destroy, had she hung around long enough. "F iend", though, is flexible, distances itself from certain WTS carryings-on as it chooses, and so is harder to deal with. It is more deceitful too.

But, of course - wasn't that obvious?

--
    Focus
    (Inscrutables Parodied, and Needeth No Hint, Class)

Edited by - Focus on 12 March 2001 1:47:21

• Focus
    Focus

TR wrote on Mar 11, 2001 at 3:12:29 AM:

Friend, I think I understand your defense. You believe the WTS to be God's org. Yet, you argue the society on the same playing field as secular law.

Let us broaden this. Friend's defense is to argue anything that is convenient for him and to disregard anything that is inconvenient for him!

Of course he claimed he wasn't defending the Society, just training us - out of the goodness of his 'lil heart - in better attacking techniques. The scientologists used the same method when trying to infiltrate, undermine and destroy the anti-cult movement.

Don't fall for it for one instant. My seemingly intemperant rants against the Watchtower are wholly justified, in every detail. The F iend Class is a Spiritually-Pedophilic one, so is it surprising we find him here?

--
    Focus
    (.. by half! Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit