A DARK DAY INDEED

by Incense_and_Peppermints 27 Replies latest jw friends

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Well then, Xander, if you would have respected it, why not respect it now? Is that not what is actually being asked, just to respect the request to tone it down? Yes, I was enjoying the thread too and as much as any other guy, enjoy seeing women scantily clad or complete naked. But, even though late in asking, he did ask. I will not ask why he asked to tone it down, but will try to abide by the request.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Why did you need "warning time"?

What were you going to post between Simon's "warning" and the time when he locked it?

• Xander
    Xander

Uhhh...nothing Prisca, that's the point. I'm saying that if he posted "Hey, tone it down" and just left it...guess what...there wouldn't be a problem.

He locked it right away which has since led to rampant assumptions that we are all a bunch of amoral loose canons. I maintain if he had just put up the warning (which I also maintain wasn't needed - see the end of the 'new picture thread' thread conversation with mindfield) there would be no need to lock it at all.

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Hey everybody,

Nobody is questioning Simon's RIGHT--we know what right he has. But please! It went on for 47 pages--over 2 weeks long. I simply wanted to point out that discrepancy--why he waited until after the pics of the men's butts before closing it. Just seems a little strange, that's all.

But it seems like some are missing the point of Dutchie's original post--she was questioning the morality of those who decided to post pics. And I for one, thought that was wrong--because there are far too many important things that decide whether or not we are moral people. Nudity, IMO, is not one of them. I was only trying to help her think thru what seemed to be a leftover of the cultish mindset.

If these things aren't supposed to be mentioned here, then why do we have specific topics for them--adult, disagreement, sex etc.? And if a title says it has boobie pics, and they aren't welcome, then that should have been brought out at the very beginning, and then deleted if they were so offensive

Well, I'm exhausted and am going to head off to bed. I have enjoyed discussing this with everyone, and if anyone feels like emailing me, please feel free to. I'm glad I finally got to know some of you here tonight, even if we don't see eye to eye! Love you all,

Namaste,

Becky

• SYN
    SYN

Don't leave Incense! The board just wouldn't be the same without that milky upper lip of yours!

• Francois
    Francois

I & P

Non Carborundum Illigetimii - Don't let the bastards rub you the wrong way.

I've been on lots of boards. And Simon is the least intrusive "owner" I've ever experienced. Try to tolerate the small intolerance. It's well worth it.

Francois

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Hi I&P,

many of us have had times when we got upset by this forum and have taken a break. That may be a good thing for you. But it's not really a dark day. We're just having a difference of opinion. This is one of the things that many of us have a problem with given our JW background. I think it's important to face the discomfort and try to work through it. Taking a break can help and you will likely talk it over in your own mind and make a more clear decision after your angst has subsided. I hope you decide to stay and contribute. I enjoy your comments.

I think Simon made it clear that he didn't want that particular type of thread to become the most prominant topic on the board. Obviously the thread was very active and will remain one of the most popular topics on the stats page for awhile. I don't think it was a personal moral choice but a business decision (if I may borrow the phrase, realizing this forum is not Simon's business). No business decision will satisfy everyone but it has to be made for the good of the entity, to aid it's survival, etc. All society works this way. This again is part of the real world. All this rhetoric about whether it is or isn't moral to post nude pics or talk about sex in public is completely beside the point with respect to closing the thread. If Simon really thought there was a moral issue he would have deleted the entire thread.

I do think that this discussion about the morality of the thread is appropriate and I applaud Dutchie for being strong enough to face the music, probably knowing full well that her opinion on this matter would not be shared by several fellow posters. This is precisely the kind of stuff that most of us have been deprived of in our life as JW's. As JW's we could not express our personal opinons on this subject, along with every other subject. If we step back awhile and seperate the act of closing the thread in question from this overall discussion (in several threads now) I think we can all appreciate that there is a lot of value here. I hope many of us can learn and absorb some new things. I hope I&P and Dutchie, and several others, can manage to get along even without sharing the same sexual moral code. (I say sexual moral code because moral are about much more than sex and nudity and this discussion has focussed primarily on that limited subject).

Sean

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

too many posters to quote here, so i'll just say this, that my problem with people like larc and dutchie is their taking the high moral ground and getting personal, rather than sticking to the argument at hand.it was never about wanting to post naked pictures. here? are you serious? i mentioned that in a half-hearted manner when i was asking dustrabbit for directions about his alternative message board.

but if people want to post their butts and if simon, who is in charge of such things, has no problem with that, why should they? they were posted, i believe, in a place clearly labeled adult or sexual in nature, so if any innocent jehovah's witnesses happen to be where they shouldn't, it's their fault if their sensibilities get offended. come on, if they're seeking spiritual answers, why are they reading threads labeled 'boobs' or whatever it was?

again, my quest du jour wasn't about freedom of expression per se; rather it was their concern that jehovah's witnesses might see those naked pictures and get offended. what about all the other things that are posted here - i mean there's a whole truckload of stuff that would offend them... frankly i don't care if it offends them. if they wish to label me immoral or callous for speaking freely or for not caring that it offends the lurking witnesses - oh well.

after i thought about this a while i realized i was upset over a message board. why should it matter what judgemental, illogical, religiously biased people think of my commentary? if you don't like it, don't read it; it's that simple. and if i don't like your comments, i'll simply ignore them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit